Best SEO Practices: WordPress SEO or Infinite SEO?

Alright so, I know this topic has been discussed here before, in terms of whether WordPress SEO (the plugin) or Infinite SEO (again, the plugin) is better overall for a site. For blogs, I'm still on the WordPress SEO bandwagon until you guys add support for Video and Local SEO within the plugin.

However, for more static sites, like Businesses and the sites I've been building for clients, this question is a bit trickier to answer for me. It's not so much about whether or not Infinite SEO and WordPress SEO are competing here... for me, it's more of the philosophy and practice of search engine optimization, as it related to keywords.

WordPress SEO, for example, wants people to use a single, focused keyword for each page. This is good in theory, but I fail to see how this will really capture people more than having the 'traditional' practice of using several keywords on each page. It seems to me that, the more terms and keywords you include here (so long as they are still focused on the core topic if the page), the better your chance of discovery.

Yet WordPress SEO gets higher ratings and more praise from the community overall than "All In One SEO" - despite the ladder encouraging the use of multiple keywords instead of just one.

So which is the better strategy? I don't so much care whether a plugin is easier to use... as much as a care about how much the method of its use is effective.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Keywords obviously don't matter as much as they used to, but they're still an essential ingredient in organic discovery.

Thanks for your time, to all who discuss.

- Charlie

• Vaughan

Hi @Charlie Pryor,

I'm far from knowledgeable on SEO.

But, having lots of keywords is a bad idea if they aren't relevant to the site & content itself. Google will rank it down, you're better off targeting one keyword with well built out content, than having a mediocre ranking for 8 keywords.

Relatiosnhips are higher priority with regards to SEO, the more the links & keywords actually relate to the site & topic, the higher they will score.

As I say, my knowledge of SEO is limited though, but hope this helps a little.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.