Best Site Backup/Restore Options

Hello,

I was wondering what the best way to backup and restore my wordpress site is. The reason is that I'm looking to change the theme that I use and make large adjustments to how my content is presented. That means that I'm probably going to start with a clean install of wordpress. But if something goes wrong, or I get negative feedback from my users, I want the option to switch back.

If I were to download my entire website as a .zip file, could I just restore it at any point back to what it used to be?

Thanks!

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, rruppert! Happy Friday!

I think this might be the perfect job for Snapshot. It will take a complete backup of your site you can restore at any time. It only takes a few minutes to set up, too. https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/snapshot/

I'd also like to advise using Snapshot to create a staging site, so you can import all your site's info (users, posts, comments, etc.) into your staging site. This will give you an identical environment to make all your changes to, without having to touch your primary site. When you're ready to push your new design live, you can create a fresh snapshot of your primary site, then import a snapshot from your staging site with all the changes.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your question!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.