Best way to allow users to upload images in community site.

We are building a social type site on Wordpress. We have user profile pages that let them display images and/or videos. The user would be able to upload new ones, delete old ones. Problem we are having is that in Wordpress it will upload into the Wordpress Media section. Anyone know of an alternate solution. Maybe we can tie into a out side image bank? Just looking for some solutions.

Thanks in advance!

• Michelle Shull

Hi there, Klick!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want members to be able to upload images while on your site, but you don't want to host those images, is that correct?

I found this tutorial, although it's a little dated, that offers three solutions. A plugin, connecting DropBox to your WP install, or hotlinking to an image host like Imgur/Flickr/Photobucket. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-methods-host-wordpress-blog-images-external-server/

Would one of these solutions work for your installation?

• KLICK

Hey Michelle,

Thanks for the reply! I always amazed at how quick the responses are on wpmudev!

Yes you are correct. Our members can upload and images that will display on their profile pages. Think of it like a Facebook gallery but really simple. Its really only one gallery and a max of 10-15 photos.

Your solution could work, I have to dig around and see how it will work when users are deleting images and changing them, which will happen often.

Thanks for the suggestion! Let me know if you have any other ideas, we need a solution that will be solid since this site will be our business I small amount of fear relying on too many outside elements. :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

• Michelle Shull

Hi KLICK!

I know there are lots of ways to allow members to create galleries, BuddyPress allows it, and our Status plugin will let users update single images, and there's the option of creating a contributor role so users could submit gallery posts from the front end, but all of those require you (as in the website owner) to host the image files.

I think your best bet might be using the third party image host, and having members hotlink would be the easiest solution to implement.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your patience, we've been pretty short staffed this week, so our response times have been a little slower than normal. I feel especially bad, since you commented on how fast we are. Thanks for being such a great member!

Take care!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.