Best way to blog on a shared multisite?

Hi there!

I’m looking for a simple way to have one shared blog across an entire multisite network (3 sites).

The blog would allow 3 different users to post to the blog from the 3 sites (main site and 2 subsites).

I’m new to wordpress, blogging in general so i’m not familiar with how things work. The blog would also need to have different categories that I am able to have different templates for (depending on the category).

Thank you all for all of your efforts here in the forums!

Much Love

Ciro

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

Hope you’re doing well today!

Do you want all blog posts to be on the same site? Or do you want them to each be on their own site.

So for example, you have author 1, 2 ,3 and also site 1, 2, 3.

Each site can have it’s own blog so each author could have their own blog OR you can allow them all to blog on the main site. You can do this by simply changing the users user roles to author on the main site.

The cool thing about Multisite is that all sites share 1 user database. So your users can navigate between the main site dashboard and their own site seamlessly. Only 1 login.

If you want each author to post on their own blog but then also collect all of the posts and display them on the main site then you could use our Post Indexer and the Recent Global Posts plugins. This allows you to display a list of network wide posts anywhere on the main site with just a shortcode or template function.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@tyler Postle

Thank you Tyler.

I am looking to have just the one blog on the main blog which will allow the other sites to post to that blog as well. For now, there will only be one user doing the posting, but would need to post “as site number 2 , site number 3, and site number 1”.

Do I need to set up new users for the main site then?

Support access is granted if you want to take a look. The main site (tamanasprings.com) will host the blog and would need lucidallusion.tamanasprings.com and solardiamond.tamanasprings.com to be able to post to that blog as separate others.

Thanks again!

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

Yeah so in this case you could either create different users with the names of the other sites or you could post on those other sites and then use our Post Indexer and Recent Global Posts plugin to list those posts on the main site.

I think that would be the better option in this case because then the content would actually be from those sites. At least it sounds like that would be the better option for you based on what you’re wanting :slight_smile:

Let me know if you still have further questions on that.

All the best,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@tyler Postle

Actually, creating the users on the main site is the best bet! I don’t want things to be separated, so for the blog of the network I would like everything in one place and there would be no need to have separate posts on the subsites.

I would however like to have the option to filter or search for a specific author on the main blog. For example, a visitor is looking for other posts from subsite #2 (as an author/user) and is able to see/and search for only those posts.

Like I mentioned before, I’ve never blogged before and don’t know how things are set up in WP. Do you guys have an article/guides for blogs posts and using them on Upfront? Is everything considered a blog post (ie product listing in marketpress)?

Much Love

Hope you in-joy(ed) the day!

Ciro

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

What might be the easiest solution here is creating a post category for each site. So “subsite 2” and then have the author add that category to each of their posts – could work with tags too if you prefer. Then you could easily sort them that way :slight_smile:

There are some good search plugins such as this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-wp-query-search-filter/

That would allow you to make a custom search to make even easier.

Doing it by author would work as well though, each author has their own post feed. So if someone was to click on the author for subsite 2 then they would see all of subsite 2’s posts :slight_smile:

Do you guys have an article/guides for blogs posts and using them on Upfront? Is everything considered a blog post (ie product listing in marketpress)?

This post should help you out: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-pages-posts/

Usually it’s just the main “Posts” post type that would be considered blog posts; however, if you wanted to have a custom post type then some may use that for posts instead.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@tyler Postle

Thank you Tyler.

Is there a way to create different blog templates for different categories? That way when I (or someone else) wants to post a specific post of a category. they are able to choose that template for that post.

I may have seen something similar in WPMU plugins, but not sure what exactly does what.

I also saw a global search plugin, would that be able to search my entire network for anything?

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

No problem!

There are ways to create category archive templates; however, I don’t know of any easy way to change it per category for single posts – as you can apply multiple categories to one post, so that wouldn’t work very well.

You may want to consider using several different post types? This post here will help familiarize yourself with that: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/creating-content-custom-post-types/

Should give you a good idea of how it will work so you can decide whether that’s a good route for you :slight_smile:

I may have seen something similar in WPMU plugins, but not sure what exactly does what.

I also saw a global search plugin, would that be able to search my entire network for anything?

Yes, that’s this one here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/global-site-search/

You will need to make sure you use the Post Indexer plugin I mentioned above too :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

Greetings @tyler Postle !

I went ahead and installed post indexer and rebuilt the indexing for each site.

I then went and installed the global blog posts widget. How am I able to use this widget while using Upfront? I went into the upfront editor but the global posts widget isn’t showing up in the widget element selection.

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

You should be able to see the "Recent Global Posts" widget in the dropdown. I've just attached a screenshot to illustrate :slight_smile:

You can change all the settings in there too. Mine might be a bad example since I only have the "hello world" default post on all my subsites.

Let me know if you still have any questions on this.

All the best,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

My apologies, I thought you were wanting to collect all the posts on the main site?

post indexer, indexes all the posts across the network for the main site only. So this method wouldn’t work if you want to display global posts on subsites as well. In that case you may want to use our Multisite Content Copier or Autblog.

Multisite content copier might make more sense in your situation. Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

Greetings @tyler Postle

I hope I can clarify. I’m not wanting to copy the posts onto the subsite but rather display them.

I am setting up only one blog (on the main site) and would like to display those posts on the subsite.

The subsite won’t post any blog posts at all on the subsite. But rather there will be a user (Displayed as the subsite) posting on the main blog on the main site.

Or perhaps there is a better way of connecting the two sites into one blog? That’s basically what I am looking to do. Have two sites share one blog.

Hope you can help, or possibly have an idea on how to accomplish this!

Much Love

Ciro Bey

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

Sorry for my delay on this. Thanks for the clarification.

So you are wanting to have just the one mainsite blog, then allow the subsite to display posts from that blog and possibly link to them as well? Maybe display an excerpt then link to the rest of it?

If that’s right, doing this would be tricky. Our post indexer is only able to index for the main site. Not for every subsite. I think you would need a custom plugin to make the posts globally accessible by the subsites. I would recommend posting a job on our jobs board for this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/ then you could work with a developer from the community on it.

Sorry we don’t currently have a solution for this, I’ll add it to our feature requests :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

My apologies! I totally missed that. With so many plugins/themes it’s tough to keep track of features sometimes :smiley:

Yes, so that looks like it could work for you. If you add that constant to your wp-config.php then you can display the global posts widget in other sites, not just the main site.

Also, if you want to create a page that displays the most recent global posts then you can use this plugin to make the widget into a shortcode that you can place in any page or post: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/amr-shortcode-any-widget/

Hope that helps! Any further questions just let us know.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@tyler Postle

Thank you Tyler.

I was able to add the code to the file.

In screenshot 1 you can see the result of adding the widget to the subsite.

Now am I able to make the global posts widget (screenshot 1) look like how I have set up the posts element here in screenshot 2?

Then once I've done that, how can I use the plugin you suggested to display the posts in the tabs element via shortcode?

Or if there is another possibility of allowing the posts from the main site to display in the posts element itself that would be great!

Enjoy your day/evening/night!

Much Love

Ciro

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

The Recent Global Posts Widget doesn’t support featured images by default; however, there is a tweak you can do to achieve that behaviour :slight_smile:

As one of our members explains here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/featured-image-in-recent-global-posts-widget#post-829345

It wouldn’t be possible to, not without a lot of custom coding, to get the main posts to show up in the default latest posts widget.

Then once I’ve done that, how can I use the plugin you suggested to display the posts in the tabs element via shortcode?

Once you have the plugin installed then you will see a shortcode widget that you can place the recent global posts widget into and it will give you a shortcode that you can them use in your tabs to display the list there.

Hope that helps! Cheers

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

We could perhaps try adding some CSS to make them display more like a grid on your site :slight_smile:

Can you provide a link to where you have the global posts widget displayed? Then I can inspect it there and test out different styles.

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers,

Tyler

PS. Sorry for such a delay!

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

Greetings @tyler Postle

No worries here.

Thank you for getting back to me tho :slight_smile:

I've placed a recent global posts widget on a testing page located at: lucidallusion.tamanasprings.com/testing-page

I'd like to get the widget to look as close as I can to the posts element widget I have on the homepage @ lucidallusion.tamanasprings.com (screenshot 1).

Hope you can help with this!

Much Love

Ciro Bey

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

If you add the following CSS it should position is similar:

.widget.rgpwidget li {
    color: #fff;
    float: left;
    list-style: outside none none;
    padding: 0 15px;
    width: 20%;
    }

Add that to your custom stylesheet, or if you don’t already have one then you can use this plugin here: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/

Keep in mind you will still need to add support for featured images to display the image like you have in your last post. I’ll quote my earlier link:

As one of our members explains here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/featured-image-in-recent-global-posts-widget#post-829345

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

Greetings @tyler Postle I looked over that post once more but am un-sure what to apply to my situation. He mentions he uses that code for “blog 2”. Which is blog 2 in my case? I’m not sure how to go about that process, but I’m looking to get the images to display with the posts from the main site on the subsite. I have applied the code you gave me and seems to work okay for now! Thank you for that.

Hope you can help me with the other thread you posted, looking forward to your reply!

Much Love, Ciro Bey

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

Would you be able to send in your FTP? Then I can make this change for you :slight_smile:

You won’t need to define blog 2 in your case.

You can send that privately through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select “I have a different question” for your topic – this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Send in:

Subject: “Attn: Tyler Postle

-WordPress admin username

-WordPress admin password

-login url

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant urls

**If you keep support access active then no need to send in wp-admin

I’ll attach the adjusted files back here after it’s working correctly so you have them for reference.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

My apologies for such a delay here. I received your email and the access works, thanks. Could you just re-grant support access again? I need to see where the recent posts widget is being displayed so I can make sure the changes I make are applying correctly.

I see it use to be on the home page, but it’s not there anymore. Making this thread a priority since you’ve been waiting so long so will be sure to keep an eye out for your reply.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,

Tyler

• Tyler Postle
    • CGO

Hey Ciro,

Thanks for doing that :slight_smile: I see you already implemented the code. I removed the line that defined blog 2 specifically and it looks like it brings the images in now.

However, not in the posts from your main site. I’m not really sure why it’s not working for posts from that site. I’m going to flag one of our SLS staff(coding experts) and see if they can figure it out.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions just let me know.

Cheers,

Tyler

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@tyler Postle

Hey there Tyler, thank you for all of the help with this. I’ve chose to implement the subsite into the main site to simplify a lot of different things. That way I’ll have the one blog without the need to separate sites.

Thank you again for all of the effort, and I hope that this post will help those who are looking to do the same thing mentioned!

Much Love

Ciro Bey

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.