Best way to bulk smush +29k images

I installed and configured WP Smush, left it run overnight and when I checked the computer it said that it was 100% complete so I checked on GTMetrix again but it says that images could be improved.

When checking over livechat support, 24k images still needed to be compressed so it looks like the bar appeared as it was complete but it reality it got stuck.

Is there any specific setting I could check to run this amount of images with bulk smush?

Access details provided in the internal ticket.

Thanks in advance!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Erik,

I have started Bulk Smush process on your site again and it had a hiccup on one of the images, this one to be precise:
    New Nintendo 2DS XL Animal Crossing Edition + Animal Crossing New Leaf Welcome amiibo Pre-installed
    It seems that the image is shown in your media library, but if you go to that image URL it will redirect to the home page, which suggests something is wrong with that image and because of that Smush can't get to it as well.

Now, when that image was skipped the Smush continued working just fine, I left it for some time and a couple dozen of images were optimized.
    It's quite possible that during the optimization there was some connection issue between your site and our servers which stopped the optimization.
    They way Smush works is that it sends your files to our servers where the optimization occurs, once the optimization of the image is completed it's sent back to your site and it replaces the original, non-optimized, image.
    Now, you have quite a lot of images on there, and some of them are not really small in size so this will affect how long the process will take, and since it was taking longer it's possible that the connection dropped at some point, for whatever reason, and that stopped the process.

You should just try starting the bulk smush again (this will continue from where it left off) and that should do the trick.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Erik Ramos-Paice

Thank you, what ive been doing today is stopping the procees by refreshing and starting again just incase. To avoid hitting any executin timout limits or anything. so far so good, each time i do it the number of images is dropping so it looks like its working so far. will it replace the images with the same file name do you know? I run a product feed that imports my products but only updates some attributes but it shouldnt update the images, i know the first time i tried the smush it actually removed the images from all of my products so dont want that to happen again.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Erik Ramos-Paice

will it replace the images with the same file name do you know?

The way "bulk smush" works is these steps exactly:

- read an information about image from the database (that is, among other things, a file path and file name)
    - take that image and send it to our cloud via our API
    - an optimization app is processing the image (according to smushing configuration)
    - the image is send back to Smush Pro plugin on your site
    - the plugin replaces the image file that it send to us with the one that it received.

This means that Smush is actually replacing that exact image on your site that it took from it, with no filename changes. But if the same exact image is used in multiple places on site then it still be optimized the same way for all its occurences - as Smush doesn't produce "copies and replacements" but physically replaces specific image.

I hope that makes some sense but if you have any additional questions, let me know.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.