Best Way To Do Develop School Community Site

Hi,
I need an advice on how to do this site. I am creating a school based community website. Some of the features are listed below. And suggested solutions is what i thought the best thing to implement. Advice me otherwise.

1) I will use multisite. The main site (ex: school.com) will host actual school website which will be (school.com/highschoolname).
Suggested Solution: Multisite WP

2) There will be at least 3 user level, which is
a) admin for each high school page,
b) teachers
c) student (or general user)
Suggested Solution: Membership Plugin?

3) On the main site, students and teachers can interact with each other in Q&A, Groups, etc. So each of them will have their own profiles, avatar and connect with each other.
Suggested solutions: I have two options here. Buddypress and also WPMU plugins such as friends, etc. Is buddypress allow me to interact on the main site only? I want the students and teachers to be able to interact on the main site and also on their own school site. So if the students need to ask questions related to studies, they do it on main site, which will have bigger community. And if they want to interact with just their school, they can do it in their own school page. But just using a single login. And for creating an account, i would integrate Facebook into it. Much easier for people to create account that way. Which are the best solutions?

4) Everyone will sign up as Students (General) account. If they want to be upgraded to Teachers, they need to provide additional information so that we can verify them they are really a teacher on their schools.
Suggested Solutions: ?

5) Or the school site (multisite) i need two options of membership. I will add all school in certain area or country then they will have a general school site only. This is just a name, address and logo. if they upgrade this page, which they need to pay, then they will have a full functional school site where they will have admin, ability to post gallery, post blog, and have few pages for their school.
Suggested Solutions: ?

That's all for now. I have more questions but I ask later. These are the core questions first.

Thank you!!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Abdul Bari

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

1: I'd also recommend WordPress Multisite :slight_smile:

2: You could use the membership plugin to restrict access to different pages/posts on each individual school website, this could work on a site by site basis, or globally across all sites.

3: I'd go with BuddyPress most likely, if you do, you won't need the friends plugin, as BuddyPress has it's own friends component.

Out of the box BuddyPress works on the main site only and not sub sites, to get round that you can add this to your wp-config.php

define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );

Above the line reading, that's all stop editing, happy blogging, this will then mean, BuddyPress will work and display globally across the network.

The codex on that is here
    http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

4:You could use something like Gravity forms for them to send in the additional info?

5: Perhaps pro sites for the paid upgrades and managing different levels https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/ Then Gravity forms for the basic school sites?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Abdul Bari

I have further questions.

2) for the membership plugin, the admin is the owner of the multisite. so this one is just the site admin right? no need membership? but i dont want them to edit certain things. even they are admin, i want to restrict the ability to edit things. the admin cannot add/change template, cannot add plugins, cannot edit certain area of the multisite. then there is teachers and student (general) account. if i use buddypress, then i can assign the roles or membership using the membership plugin?

3) when buddypress work on main site and multisite, then they can interact with each other site also. so a user can post something on main site, then go to his school and post something there, and then go to other school and post something there too?

4) which is better? contact form 7 or gravity form? is there any ways of me displaying all user information (which is user in buddypress) then have additional option to put in such as school name, department etc which is required to the teachers only. we will then verify this details manually and then update their membership to teacher if they comply everything.

5) I dont really understand on how to do it. What are u suggesting for this question. i use pro sites plugin to divide my membership of the blog into two. one is basic and one is enhanced one. is that what u are saying? then what about the gravity form?

6) so based on what i understand, this is the plugin/settings i need.
    -Multisite WP
    - Buddypress (With multisite enable)
    - Membership plugin (to assign different level of membership, teachers and student/general)
    - Gravitiy form to add to membership plugin. (this is to provide additional information required in order for the teachers to upgrade their account from general to teachers. this will work nicely with buddypress and membership plugin?)
    - Pro plugin (this is to manage different level of multisite features such as basic school website and full featured school website)
    -

7) i have checked buddypress multisite documentation and from what i understand, when i enable it, the whole social network is still under my main website (school.com) but the user can interact on other blog. it is not separating it into different social network on different multisite. this is what i need for my situation right? if i separate one school network with another school, if i have 1000 school, then i would have 1000 separate social network? im getting confused now. lol.

8) any chances of something similar being done before so i can google up and see?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Abdul Bari

2) for the membership plugin, the admin is the owner of the multisite. so this one is just the site admin right? no need membership? but i dont want them to edit certain things. even they are admin, i want to restrict the ability to edit things. the admin cannot add/change template, cannot add plugins, cannot edit certain area of the multisite. then there is teachers and student (general) account. if i use buddypress, then i can assign the roles or membership using the membership plugin?

Technically you don't need the membership plugin, as if you just want to restrict the admin side, you can change the user role once they've signed up and edit the user roles to tweak what they can and can't access, will that work for you?

3) when buddypress work on main site and multisite, then they can interact with each other site also. so a user can post something on main site, then go to his school and post something there, and then go to other school and post something there too?

That's correct, but everything with BuddyPress is global, they don't work as separate BuddyPress installs if that makes sense?

4) which is better? contact form 7 or gravity form? is there any ways of me displaying all user information (which is user in buddypress) then have additional option to put in such as school name, department etc which is required to the teachers only. we will then verify this details manually and then update their membership to teacher if they comply everything.

You could use the default BuddyPress registration, as you can add additional fields with that, then they can either fill in the details there, or you can still use Gravity forms or another contact form, I would personally say Gravity forms is a bit better, due to the extensive add-ons etc, but this is entirely a personal choice.

5) I dont really understand on how to do it. What are u suggesting for this question. i use pro sites plugin to divide my membership of the blog into two. one is basic and one is enhanced one. is that what u are saying? then what about the gravity form?

Technically you can use Pro sites for the paid and free actually and restrict certain features, plugins etc, but you'll also need to use a user role editor, but the issue here is, you must restrict the same role, so one level might only be able to post 1 page, another might be able to add 5, if that makes sense?

6) so based on what i understand, this is the plugin/settings i need.
    -Multisite WP
    - Buddypress (With multisite enable)
    - Membership plugin (to assign different level of membership, teachers and student/general)
    - Gravitiy form to add to membership plugin. (this is to provide additional information required in order for the teachers to upgrade their account from general to teachers. this will work nicely with buddypress and membership plugin?)
    - Pro plugin (this is to manage different level of multisite features such as basic school website and full featured school website)

You'll need.

Multisite WP
    BuddyPress with Multiblog define in wp-config.php
    Membership, see above, I'm not so sure that's needed.
    Gravity forms doesn't integrate with membership plugin, this is just for capturing additional details, or you can use the default BuddyPress registration (see above)
    Pro sites, to manage level and features.
    User role editor of your choice :slight_smile:

7) i have checked buddypress multisite documentation and from what i understand, when i enable it, the whole social network is still under my main website (school.com) but the user can interact on other blog. it is not separating it into different social network on different multisite. this is what i need for my situation right? if i separate one school network with another school, if i have 1000 school, then i would have 1000 separate social network? im getting confused now. lol.

Technically it's global and not separate, do you need separate social network installs?

8) any chances of something similar being done before so i can google up and see?

Not that I'm aware of, though we also run edublogs.org

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.