Best ways to use Supporter with Membership plugin

Trying to figure out the best way around this and would like to know if anyone has these two plugins working together in some way.

I asked in this thread about being able to 'hook' the supporter plugin into a membership level with the membership plugin.

Aaron mentions it can be done with an additional plugin to fire the supporter_extend()

Is anyone using the Membership plugin and Supporter Plugin together in a different way?

It would seem confusing to the end user who signs up with different options and different paid features on one site.

If anyone else is interested in creating a plugin that can combine the supporter with the membership plugins, would be great to split development costs.

Or is this something that you guys at wpmudev is looking at doing, getting these plugins working together?

• georgef

The big thing is making things easy from a users stand point.

Let's say I want to offer 2 levels of membership at 2 different price points on my site.

Let's say $17pm and $47pm.

The Supporter functionality with Marketpress etc will be at $17pm and I probably would like to use a blog or a few pages worth of content that I can protect with the membership plugin for training on how it all works.

Then, on the $47pm membership, it will be more focused on content rather than Supporter features, but would like to include the supporter features if they decide to create a blog and use Marketpress plus the blog functions.

The big confusion I see would be on signup... Now you need to offer a supporter membership which is really just blog focused, and something completely different with the membership plugin.

Whereas, if the membership plugin could control all features that it currently does, AND for a member who wants the supporter features, it simplifies the management and sign up process.

I wouldnt want a member to signup for $47pm for example, and then have to manually control the Supporter features if they request that.

I hope that makes sense.

Does anyone else face a similar challenge of integration and flow of signup process etc?

• jskov

I would like to see the supporter levels -- I know you're talking about using the two plugins together here (more the supporter functionality within the membership framework)... Really, if the two could be combined together with lots of sweet options and customizations.... perfect world.

Do you have timelines for the supporter levels? I hear it is in dev, but we are really itching for it.

• SooBahkDo

I would like to see the membership and supporter pluginss function together as described by Georgf.

Essentially the supporter plugin allows a purchaser to select the site functionality and cpacity they want.

The membership plugin allows a user to select the content they want access to. (subscriptions, etc.) and has nothing to do with site functionality or capacity.

We just need them to coexist.

Phil D

• Max

Hi all - is this not what the MANY options in the membership plugin already does?

You can enable and disable almost every frontend and backend function, menu, plugin, theme, etc with different and "free" membership levels and vary how they "pay" or don't.

Membership plugin strength - levels and selection of what is or is not available.

Supporter Plugin Strength - flexibility in settings for support payments.

I beleive that having a level edit screen like in membership plugin, so that maximum flexibility can be acheived, be merged with the supporter plugin - not just two levels of free and supporter - but mutliple levels.

-->> Each level should have a setting screen similar to supporter plugin - payment type, days free, 1 mth, 3 mth, 12 mth, etc

Remove membership edit options and have "Level Options" which has the supporter setting screen options.

Merging the two to have somehting like this would meet (almost) everyone's requirements - just many levels and each level having it's own settings and "memberhsip" selections may meet the objective.

so instead of just supporter, have supporter 1, supporter 2, etc and all options the same, but with the extended "levels" of the membership plugin.

• hucknallite

They are both great plugins but a simple integration would be perfect as I don't want to ask my supporters to pay twice. If I only take one payment from those who sign up it is so much better.

For me, when someone signs up for a blog and pays to be a supporter I want them to have instant access to premium content in much the same way they get access to premium themes and plugins and support. Giving a supporter an automatic membership so they can access content would be massively beneficial for my site.

• twicealive

I think it would be great to have the ability to assign Supporter Status to one or more membership levels. This method would be become even more flexible when the Supporter Levels are implemented.

In addition, I would love it if my client could select a membership level from the sign-up page, then click the button and create the blog site. The membership pricing functionality and multiple gateways make it a better candidate for me concerning the collection of fees.

I guess I am suggesting the same affect as the other members... Which is to implement Supporter Levels and assign a membership level to the supporter level. Either way works for me.

But in this case, I would like to enhance the Supporter Plugin with similar pricing functionality and multiple gateways. Plus I would also like the option to assign a Blog Template Selector to the sign-up page, to allow my client to select a template from a predefined list.

• Timothy Bowers

A unified billing and invoice generation area would be good with bill tracking. If payments are going monthly then paypal subscriptions could be united as one. (if there is a difference in original days then the pro rata amount could be taken separate and then the dates matched.

I think if WPMUDEV took at a look at what WHMCS does in terms of billing, account suspension, sending invoice reminders before before suspension, or at least has some integration via their API, that would be amazing.

Good for accounting, doesn't require to much work, the WHMCS already has APIs to plug into. This could allow domain name registration within a WPMU install, billing, support desk, DNS control, etc, etc.

I know, I know slightly more than the original "integrate membership and supporter" plugin question. But this sort of integration could open up the market drastically for WPMU/Multisite users and thus create more of a market for WPMUDEV in return.

If you are unfamiliar with WHMCS and how their product works with cPanel, LXAdmin, and all the domain and cool stuff then check them out here:

• transparencia

Guys there are some advancements in this are:

In Membership 1.1 Beta, in the end of the Edit Subscription menu there is this:

Supporter integration settings

By enabling the membership / supporter integration below the members primary_website (for which they are an administrator) will be made a supporter and will mirror this subscriptions level periods.

Enable membership / supporter integration

So if you have a Premium Membership Subscription and you tick this, the user that subscribes that Membership and has a website with you will have that website become a Supporter website.

I haven't tried this but I think it is very cool. My only doubt is how well it performs if a user for example subscribes first the Membership and then ends up extending the Supporter website, through Supporter itself, he will loose the membership access.

• hucknallite

I have the membership and supporter integrated and it is quite simple.

As suggested above, at the end of the edit subscription menu in membership you check the integrate with supporter box.

With this option enabled, anybody who takes out a membership subscription is automatically given supporter status.

If they have never signed up for a blog then they can do so from inside the admin area of their membership and the first blog automatically becomes a supporter blog.

If they have already signed up for a free blog, then they take out membership, the free blog gets upgraded automatically to a supporter blog.

The only downside to this arrangement is if they sign up and pay for a supporter before they become a member. They are not made members through paying for supporter. I am sure that removing payment options in some way is possible though haven't done this myself. You can also give instructions on relevant pages about what they customers are expected to do. I direct all payments to the membership sign up.

If someone does slip through and pays for a supporter subscription, you can manually add a supporter to the membership area.