Better understanding of New Blog Templates

I've come to the conclusion that I need a better understanding of the "New blog Templates" plugin.
In the instructions it states that the currently logged in blog can be made into a template by visiting the New Blog Templates page while logged in.

But I can't see that being possible when the New Templates Blog page is only accessible form the network back-end side. The instructions on the page clearly state what blog is going to be made into a template and I've never seen it say anything other than the primary blog. No matter how I log in. The only way to get to that page is to be a super admin.

The instructions on this site do not show the same screenshots, so I can't help but think there's some protocol that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

• DavidM

Hi wecreateyou,

Sorry for any confusion there. We've just had a minor revamp of the installation page. Could you check out the following (perhaps refreshing your browser to ensure you're not reading a cached copy)?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template/installation/

To clarify, yes the options would indeed be available from the Network Admin area. You'll want to first off, get your site ids from the Network Admin > Sites list.

Then you can use those ids to create templates from those sites at Network Admin > Settings > Blog Templates.

Could you give those updated instructions a go and let me know how that works for you?

Cheers,
    David

• wecreateyou

So I see that the New Blog templates info has been very recently updated. Although I still think the wording is a bit confusing... I guess I was correct all along in my assumption of how it works.

A couple of loosely related questions...
    Are network installed plugins copied over for all sites? since nearly all of my plugins are network installed I don't get to see them in the site admin side of things... hard to confirm they are actually getting copied over unless I know for sure from you guys that this is the case.. Thanks.

• wpcdn

Are network installed plugins copied over for all sites? since nearly all of my plugins are network installed I don't get to see them in the site admin side of things... hard to confirm they are actually getting copied over unless I know for sure from you guys that this is the case

Not sure what you mean, but unless I'm mistaken:

- No plugins are copied. The settings are copied (e.g., which plugins are active, etc.), but plugins all remain in their central locations.

- Network activated plugins are always active on all blogs, regardless of the New Blog Template settings. This plugin does not override a Network Activated plugin's status.

If you need to make plugins available in the admin menu of a sub-site, you might want to consider doing it this way:

- Don't network activate it.

- Activate it on the site that will be the New Blog Template. That way, any new blog created under that template will have the plugin active...but the blog owner will be able to turn it off.

• wecreateyou

Sorry about the wording, but you got it. The settings are what I was after and you have indeed confirmed what I should be expecting. So how about some good news for a change... I'm marking this resolved!

Thanks to the entire WPMUdev team for your assistance today, starting with Barry on the live support DavidM, wpcdn, masonjames, VeBailovity, Aaron and the rest of the team who made today a big breakthrough for me on this project.

I'm planning to document the stuff that I think could help some people, and sharing it in the forums.

• Rogier & Stijn

Hi guys,

I still have a question about this:

"I've come to the conclusion that I need a better understanding of the "New blog Templates" plugin.
    In the instructions it states that the currently logged in blog can be made into a template by visiting the New Blog Templates page while logged in.

But I can't see that being possible when the New Templates Blog page is only accessible form the network back-end side. The instructions on the page clearly state what blog is going to be made into a template and I've never seen it say anything other than the primary blog. No matter how I log in. The only way to get to that page is to be a super admin."

When I use "Create Blog Template" will Blog ID (15) overwrite that the main domain template?
    I don't hope so.

Before I try to create a blog template of blog ID 15, can you tell me that it is save and the main domain template won't be overwritten..

Thank you advance!

Cheers, Stijn

• wecreateyou

The Blog ID is the ID of the blog that you want to copy. So entering 15 will copy the blog in your network with an ID of 15. I've never tried copying a blog that doesn't exist to see what happens...

Hope that helps

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I think I left out that your main blog will not be effected at all by copying the blog with ID 15. that was your original question I believe.

• imacg

Hi,

just to clarify this a bit more - having encountered the same issue - i.e. the worry that the template would copy the primary site set-up - because of this statement;

"Please note that this will turn the blog you are currently logged in to - "primary site url" - into a template blog. Any changes you make to this blog will change the template, as well! We recommend creating specific "Template Blogs" for this purpose, so you don't accidentally add new settings, content, or users that you don't want in your template."

I take it from the installation screenshot that it does not do that but that "the blog you are currently logged in to" will be the id that you put into the Template creation form. Is that how it works..?

If so that's fine, as I got the same problem as wecreateyou - you have to go to network admin and the curently logged on blog is always primary site url.

If the intended blog id which is submitted in the blog create form is indeed the "site you are logged in to" then it would be good if the url shown in the warning message changed accordingly to let folks check they were setting up the correct site as a template..?

regards,

Iain

• DavidM

Yep, thanks for clarifying that wecreateyou.

@Iain, the instructions in the plugin are actually slightly dated in that you can do everything from your Network Admin page and you don't have to log into a specific site to template it.

It's all best explained from the installation page as follows:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

Hope that makes sense, please let me know if that needs any further clarification.

Thanks,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.