Big delay looking up blogs with wpmu versus buddypress

Hi:
I've got two blog servers running. I've been optimizing them, and just noticed a big performance difference between the Buddypress installation and the regular blog server not running buddypress - amounting to an average of 5 seconds delay, apparently for the main blog to look up the sub-blog.
The difference is striking - And I'd sure like to fix it.
Here is the time analysis for the regular blog - note the 6 seconds to access the original blog versus the speedtest-1 (hosted under buddypress):

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey squibm.

What versions are you use, which plugins, themes, etc, etc. Are the servers identical spec with identical up and down links? When you ping both IPs how do they compare then on response.

If you run a tracecert on both how do they compare?

Take care.

• squibm
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I found it... It was a redirect issue whether I ended the child blog with a slash or not...
    Ending the child blog with the slash saved a lot of time on the redirect. See benchmarks below.
    So It looks like a difference in the .htaccess rules that automatically translate the incoming URL.

• squibm
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Okay... Now that I know, I checked both sites. The entire problem is whether there is trailing slash on the request URL. The BuddyPress site has the same redirect delay - I just didn't notice!

What should I do to .htaccess to fix this:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.