BIG PROBLEMS after updating from 1.0.5 to 2.0.2 (last version)

I am in big trouble because I set up a membership that worked with 1.0.5 and when I updated to 2.0.2. it doesn't work anymore. It has several issues that weren't present in the previous version.

FIRST QUESTION: Is it posisble to Deactivate this new version and upload the old, working 1.0.5?
I need to get back to a working membership ASAP.

Here are the problems:

1) When someone registers to the FREE membership it has to complete a Step. 2 that was inexistent in the previous version and choose the membership he wants. I have only ONE free membership and it makes little sense. Moreover it presents 2 Paypal buttons that are misleading and confusing when the user is registering to a FREE subscription.
This has to be fixed and work as it worked before, with the default FREE membership activated when one complete the registration

2) After one completes the step 2. the page changes saying it has been registered. HOWEVER the menu doesn't change as it was before (I had one menu for the visitor and one menu for the free subscriber). So the new subscriber CANNOT get to the "internal pages" of the subscription

3) I have seen that some subscribers subscribed but didn't fix Level and Subscription. And it cannot be done manually, the system doesn't register the subscription I choose (it registers the Level tho).

So now I have subscribers that get to the site, subscribe somewhat, cannot access the content. IT IS A MESS while the only issue I had with the old 1.0.5 was that the subscribers were Disactivated by default.

Please give me clear answers that can solve this mess. First of all if I can temporarily go back to 1.0.5 without messing up my subscribers even more.

I am seriously considering dropping this plugin and buying a new membership plugin that doesn't get me mad with a new update. At the present stage this plugin isn't usable.

Marco

• Barry

When someone registers to the FREE membership it has to complete a Step. 2 that was inexistent in the previous version and choose the membership he wants.

That hasn't changed since the initial beta - there has always been a second step.

I have seen that some subscribers subscribed but didn't fix Level and Subscription. And it cannot be done manually, the system doesn't register the subscription I choose (it registers the Level tho).

There is an issue with the relationships table for some upgrades - we're getting it sorted asap, but in the mean time - can you check the wp_m_subscription_relationships table and let us know if it has a field in there called "usinggateway"? If it doesn't have this then the plugin didn't upgrade you properly and you'll need to add that field - let us know and we'll pop up the SQL to do that.

Please give me clear answers that can solve this mess. First of all if I can temporarily go back to 1.0.5 without messing up my subscribers even more.

Yes - just replace the files with the older version.

• emmedi

Barry, thank you for your fast reply.

There hasn't been a second step with the 1.0.5 I tested yesterday!
    When I did my test free subscription I got to the dashboard for the new member.
    Not great, but it beats having a second step that is confusing as it is now.

What about the double button? Italian and English, why? And why is it a Paypal button
    if the subscription is free? I can even accept the PP button but not 2!

I still don't understand why there has to be a second step: I set up 1 level containing 1 subscription.
    So there shouldn't be anything to choose.

The fact that the menu doesn't change has to do with the fact it doesn't write properly
    the subscription to the database?

I will check later if Ihave the database issue (cannot access MySQL from this computer).

I haven't FTP access here, so I cannot just drop the old files in the directory.
    Can I have Wordpress delete the current plugin and install the old plugin?
    Or deleting gets rid of the members as well?

Marco

• DavidM

Hi Marco,

Sorry for the delay, there's been a nice update to Membership since. Could you give that latest version a try?

The best way to update ultimately would be via FTP, deleting the older version's folder completely then installing the latest version to ensure there's no stray files left in the folder.

Also, the settings are stored in the database so you wouldn't have to worry about losing settings at all.

The latest version provides a database repair utility to allow you to check and repair the database and it will help us rule out any database issues much more easily.

Thanks,
    David

• emmedi

Hi David,

I installed the 2.0.3 some days ago and whle some bugs have been fixed, I still have problems with how the plugin works. Basically, when someone registers the "registered" subscription doesn't get activated (it should change the menu and show the page with the product).

I wrote another post on the forum about this issue, but didn't get any reply. I am 90% convinced to scrap this plugin and buy a competitor, sorry. It was too much trouble.

Waiting for a fix in another day or two then it's over for me.

Marco

• DavidM

Hi Marco,

Just to be sure I understand you properly, are your subscriptions not getting added to members? If that is the case, can you try adding the subscriptions to the members manually in the Edit Members section to see if they can be added there?

If you'd like to email me an admin account to take a look into the matter, I'll be happy to see how I can get that resolved for you too. If so, you could simply send that through the contact form marked attention to David.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks,
    David

• emmedi

The issue of the subscriber NOT getting added happened with 2.0.2. and now it's fixed.
    What happens is this:

- The new member input his name and email and password (Step 1)
    - The new member chooses the subscription (free) (Step 2)
    - The system confirms he has been subscribed (Step 3)

WIth the step 3 there is the problem. I have a different menu for registered users and with the 1.0.5, after the subscription the new member ended up in his dasboard but loading the homepage it showed the new menu. The new menu is key because it shows the page with the info that are for registered users

With 2.0.3 nothing happens. The menu doesn't change and even if I go to the homepage the menu doesn't appears. So a registered user cannot access the registerd "hidden" page!
    With this behavior the plugin is unusable and I am considering going with Wishlist that's sort of standard and works in many WP based memberships.

As I said I am still giving a chance to your plugin because I see it's well done, but it has flaws that make it unusable. And I have neither time, nor interest in doing the debug. I need a membership that works yesterday. So if it doesn't work by Friday I will scrap it and will buy Wishlist.

Marco

• DavidM

Thanks for that clarification Marco. So we have two issues left from what I understand.

The registered user cannot see:
    1. the "hidden" page
    2. the new menu

Please feel free to correct me on any of this. I'm just trying to frame it all so we can get a clearer idea where we're at here.

Proceeding, this "hidden" page, did you have a Page rule for the membership level that belongs to this registered user subscription? Could we maybe get a screenshot of how that's setup?

Also, did you have a particular Menu rule setup for that same membership level? Could we get a screenshot of that as well?

As I mentioned earlier, if any of this seems a bit much for troubleshooting the issue, I'll be more than happy to take a look at your site if you'd like to provide us with admin access.

Thanks,
    David

• emmedi

It's not resolved. The issue is still there:

- I just did another registration
    - when I confirmed the subscription pushing the subscribe ("iscriviti") button
    - the system told me that I was registered but...

1) It didn't change the menu showing the "registered access-only" page
    2) Even reloading the page and going to the homepage the menu doesn't change and the page is not visible

So the issue is still totally unresolved. Why do you say it's solved?

• emmedi

I have seen that the custom menu for the registered level was wrong and I fixed it.

Truth to be told, If I login as the new registered user, the new menu is in place.
    However, the system still doesn't do what I expect it to do:

WHAT I EXPECT IT TO DO

Once one has confirmed the subscription I expect:

1) The menu changes to the menu I defined in that level
    2) Ideally i'd like to be able to put some message to explain what the user can do: it would be great to be able to redirect to a "welcome + instructions" page after the subscription has been confirmed

WHAT THE IT DOES INSTEAD

Practically nothing. After I confirm the subscription, there is a sentence telling me I am subscribed.
    And now? There is no way to access the "registered only area" that is hidden because I chose to change the menu, adding the entry for the special page.

If the system at least doesn't do the point 1) of the above list, to me it's not working at least it hasn't a good user interface. Point 2) would also be very useful, but just seeing the changed entry in the menu would do the basics

• DavidM

Hi Marco,

As I mentioned via email, I made a couple of adjustments that I believe would resolve this matter, though that's still to be confirmed by yourself. Basically, Membership's rules and settings appear to have been working properly, but I've adjusted some things that I believe would meet your specifications.

If you'd like to go ahead and confirm that's working for you, we can tackle your further inquiries.

Also, just to let you know, a new update of Membership has been released.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

Thanks,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.