Billing period over member not charged again, membership still active

My first few renewals (billing period is 3months) should be coming in but instead it seems like nothing is happening.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

What payment gateway are you using? If it's PayPal, did you set the IPN?

You will also see there is a "view transactions" link under each payment gateway in the M2 payment settings, can you click that for the gateway you're using and see if there are any errors. If so, can you either share them here or grant support access so we can have a look? :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Also, it looks like you might be on version 1.0.0.7 of Membership 2, we're on 1.0.0.8 right now so upgrading would be a good idea - there was no changes that would affect the issue you're having here I don't think, but it's still good to stay up to date as there was quite a few fixes in the last release.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dre

Hey @Tyler Postle , no I am using Stripe not Paypal.

When I first launched the site I was using the single payment gateway (the subscription stripe one had not been added as a feature yet) now I am using the Subscription one.

The original members all signed up via Single payment Stripe.

I will give you access but you MUST NOT update to 1.0.0.8 as right now it completely kills my server and I have still not isolated why.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

Thanks for your reply and the additional info. This is likely because the subscription were started with single stripe. Activating the subscription stripe wouldn't automatically create subscriptions within stripe for them, but yes if you can grant access I can have a look just to make sure :slight_smile:

I promise I won't update it! Have you created a thread on that yet? If not, I'd recommend it as then we can help you track down the problem as well.

Hope you're having a good weekend! Talk to you soon.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

Thanks for granting support access. I logged in and had a look, we don't have a way to migrate the single stripe payments over to subscriptions, as the member will need to go through the checkout process again for the subscription to be created within Stripe. The members shouldn't remain active in the membership once it expires though and no payment is made.

You will notice that there are invoices in the status of "New" these are the upcoming invoices for users that usually haven't been paid yet, once the payment is made then they are swapped to "Paid" and the membership is extended. If no payment is made then they should remain in "New" status and membership removed once the system checks the membership status again.

You can manually trigger a membership status check from your Membership 2 > Settings page. There is a link at the very button, the underlined time. Click that after one of the "New" invoice due dates has been passed and you should see the membership is removed.

If that is not happening would you be able to let us know, there might be an issue with the communication between your site and stripe.

Cheers,
    Tyler

Just to clarify, the single stripe payment memberships shouldn't be renewing and it should remove the membership which will force the user to re-sign up again and create a subscription this time.

• Dre

Hey @Tyler Postle thanks for that explanation.

However the "New" invoice has not been issued for my first renewals, they are not getting a new invoice from what I can see.

Could this be because I disabled Stripe single payment gateway for their membership type and switched it to subscriptions? I would have thought that once their membership period was over the next transaction would go through the newer gateway.

Thanks

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

Could this be because I disabled Stripe single payment gateway for their membership type and switched it to subscriptions? I would have thought that once their membership period was over the next transaction would go through the newer gateway.

It's very likely this is why because there wouldn't of been a subscription actually setup in Stripe for it.

If you didn't mind sending in your cPanel info then we can have a look at your database and make sure there are no issues there.

Also, if you could mention which member(username) you are referring to in the above thread that I can check with that account specifically.

You can send this information privately to us through our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -cPanel username
    -cPanel password
    -cPanel login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

In the meantime, if you get members to re-subscribe with the subscription stripe then those accounts should be all good to go :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Dre

Hey @Tyler Postle I do not have CPANEL my database is on Rackspace cloud, I can send the details for that if you like?
    @Michael Bissett already has a login for my Rackspace account for a different issue do I need to send the details through again or can you grab from him?

The example User to check is mariana-aleksieva

QUESTION: can I set up a payment or subscription for a User in Stripe itself and Link it to a membership within my site?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

Thanks or your reply!

I believe the issue with the memberships not being removed is actually due to a bug that is being fixed right now and will be released in the next version which is due out early next week :slight_smile: assuming testing goes well. The issue is that memberships are still being applied when payment is not completed.

QUESTION: can I set up a payment or subscription for a User in Stripe itself and Link it to a membership within my site?

I spoke to our developer about this and while it's possible it would require a complex script in order to do so. This isn't something we would be able to provide through support due to the amount of time it would take to develop. You may want to hire a developer if you do still want to go that route: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Alternatively, you could do a deal to encourage users to re-subscribe to setup the subscriptions :slight_smile:

Something like: "Oh No! We've changed gateways and need you to re-sub, here have 50% off"

So just to recap, the issue of members subscriptions not being removed will be fixed in the next update. The release includes a ton of other improvements as well.

If you still have any further questions on this just let us know :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Dre,

Looks like Hoang, one of our coding experts, is still looking into your issue there - once we find the exact cause and if it's something from our end then of course we'll get it fixed up asap, It could be included in next version. but then again it might just be a server config issue on your site as very few members look to be experiencing the same thing. If that's the case then it should be an even faster fix :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler