blank main page after upgrading buddypress daily theme

Hi I just upgraded my Daily theme. I use a child theme so I did not update the child theme component, only the BP-Daily folder.
All was working well until I did this upgrade. Now all I see on the front page ismy navigation menu, logo and some color/header info.
I can log into the admin area, and I have checked that the theme is still enabled.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks,
Wayne

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello again Wayne,

While we're waiting on the developer's input, I wanted to be sure to check another crucial thing. I should have asked before hand, but your upgrade of the Daily theme, was it from version 3.9.6 to 3.9.7?

Oh, and as a way to continue any possible work you were doing on the site, you still do have access to prior versions of the theme at the following.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-daily-theme/download

That said, thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
    David

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Aaron has a good point if you can't get behind to reset things just remove the theme you are using and set to the default one (Twenty Ten) or BuddyPress default. This brings us back to a starting point as I think there is more than one thing at play here. Also the error log will be really helpful.

• jacksun
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Ok, I downgraded the buddy daily theme to 3.9.6 from 3.9.7 without any success. However when I activated the daily theme and deactivated the daily child theme it works, but without my custom stuff obviously.
    Any ideas what changed for the child theme? The version I had installed of the theme was from early april 2010 and everything worked fine with the WP 3.x upgrade

Wayne

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Wayne,

Thanks for posting your error logs. These are most often the best clues as to the solution. In this case, the answer is right here:

PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function serverdate() in /home/lifebook/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-daily-child/library/components/information-bar.php on line 4

The error starts showing up on February 15th. It gives us the file and exact line where the issue occurs. Locate your changes here and I bet you'll get it sorted.

I also see an error referring to the autoblog plugin a few days ago. Normally this error means that the plugin isn't installed properly (the table in the database wasn't created). You can try disabling and re-enabling the plugin and check your database to see if the table actually exists.

If you need further assistance on that one, please open a new thread. I'm marking this one as resolved, but feel free to reopen it should you have the need.

Thanks!

• jacksun
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi MasonJames, the only change on Feb 15th was the update of the Daily theme so something there has changed. There is a difference between how the new daily theme interacts with the child daily theme. If I remove the child (no changes here either) and activate the main theme it works although nothing like my customized site, If I activate the child theme I get the error and blank page except for the header.
    I think this function was in the main theme before, but now it is looking for it in the child? The child theme dies exactly where the dat should show in the header.

Not sure how to fix this, I made no changes except updating the theme.

Thanks,
    Wayne

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello again Wayne,

Just to make sure I understand this one correctly, are you saying that in your setup, child themes of the Daily theme don't work at all? Even the default child theme that comes with it?

Or is it merely the child theme that you've customized that isn't working?

I'm sorry if I seem a bit dull on that one, I just couldn't tell if that's what you meant by "If I remove the child (no changes here either)"

Cheers,
    David

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I get no such error with the child theme and Daily therefore suggest you get the files again and try please. It will either be one of the following:

1. A plugin issue - either partially installed, corruption somewhere or clashing.
    2. A server setting change.
    3. A child theme customisation (if you have done any).

Therefore my suggestion is remove all plugins, download a fresh copy of the theme, follow our theme installation instructions and see if you get errors then.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.