Blank page after submitting an answer

I'm logged in as the Administrator of a site (non-MultiSite). I posted a new Q&A Question via wp-admin (using the plugin for questions but also posting my own FAQs in there for general reference). Then, I went to the front-end to view the question and add my answer. I posted my answer and the website just went blank and the browser's address bar showed /questions/ (i.e. not specific to the question I posted on or the answer I provided).

So, in the wp-admin area, I see there are 3 answers (since I tried 3 times and got a blank white screen at /questions/ when I clicked to "Submit" my answer). I deleted 2 and changed 1 from Pending to Published and I got the end result that I wanted.

My complaint/feedback is that it's terrible UX to just have a blank page. I'm sure you guys agree, but is this a known bug?

Question this all happened on is located here: http://crescentridgehomeowners.com/questions/are-the-covenants-related-to-city-ordinances/

Thank you.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

My complaint/feedback is that it's terrible UX to just have a blank page. I'm sure you guys agree, but is this a known bug?

Can you please review your error_logs and let me know what it says, this should give us some pointers to the cause.

Also does this happen with the default Twenty Eleven theme?

And with all other plugins disabled to check for conflicts?

Let me know those error logs please.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

What happens with wp-debug enabled within your wp-config.php file, does that give out any further clues whilst posting?

I know WP Engine have been changing a few things recently (I get their mailers) I'm just wondering if something there somehow is affecting Q&A.

Let me know what you see.

Thanks.

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

With WP_DEBUG turned on at http://crescentridge.staging.wpengine.com/ (all plugins and themes mimic the production site), there are a LOT of errors related to the theme (EduClean / EduBlogs) on all pages of the site.

But specific to trying to post a new answer on the front-end, here's what turned up:

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:disappointed:usr/share/php:disappointed:usr/share/pear') in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-settings.php on line 62

Notice: load_plugin_textdomain was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.7 with no alternative available. in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2714

Notice: A session had already been started - ignoring session_start() in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 44

Notice: Undefined index: wdcp_google_user_cache in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 63

Notice: Undefined index: wdcp_twitter_user_cache in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/comments-plus/lib/class_wdcp_model.php on line 87

Notice: get_current_theme is deprecated since version 3.4! Use wp_get_theme() instead. in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2628

Notice: get_current_theme is deprecated since version 3.4! Use wp_get_theme() instead. in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2628

Notice: get_theme_data is deprecated since version 3.4! Use wp_get_theme() instead. in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2628

Notice: Undefined variable: custom_height in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/themes/edu-clean/functions.php on line 945

Notice: A session had already been started - ignoring session_start() in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter.php on line 1481

Notice: Undefined property: automessage::$debug in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/automessage/classes/class.automessage.php on line 1327

Notice: Undefined property: automessage::$debug in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/automessage/classes/class.automessage.php on line 1388

Notice: Undefined index: thank_you in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/plugins/qa/core/edit.php on line 301

That's the only time I've seen an error that mentioned the Q&A plugin. I didn't see that error anywhere else on the site, only when posting an answer.

Even when I click to Edit or Delete an existing Q or A, no WP_DEBUG errors for the Q&A plugin.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-content/advanced-cache.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /nas/wp/www/staging/crescentridge/wp-settings.php on line 62

This is usually a permission issue or that the file is missing. Please check for the appropriate file and permissions there. /wp-content/advanced-cache.php

The notices shouldn't be an issue, they are just notices rather than warnings.

Let me know once you resolve that with advanced cache and then if the Q&A issue still persists.

Thanks.

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi Clifford,

Your website is an https one. I have just noticed that there is a bug of the plugin happening only for https websites. You are encountering this issue.

This will be corrected in the next version.

Thank you for pointing out that.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

Thank you for finding the bug and for committing to an update to fix the issue.

Regarding ALL of WPMU DEV, I think there's a trend of not testing for HTTPS in general. That really shouldn't be the case. This is one of several that I've had HTTPS issues with. Just saying. Thanks for taking this into consideration.

I am awaiting this plugin's update.

• Clifford P
    • The Bug Hunter

Excellent. Thank you.

I think using SSL is probably of greater relevance here because of membership, group, BuddyPress, MultiSites have more logins, etc. reasons. And, personally, I view all WP plugins in the same light -- if they don't work with SSL (throw security warning messages) and if they don't selectively load assets only when needed, those are 2 big red flags for me. This particular incident sounds like a different sort of SSL issue, not a common "throw a warning" error, but still something that, from the dev, sounds like it would have been caught in testing if testing on an SSL site.

No need to reply. Thanks for listening.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.