block the creation of certain sites

Is there a way to block certain sites from being created. I have wp multisite installed and I don't want users to be able to create cityname.mydomain.com. Is there a way to do this? Basically put a restriction on sites that can be created. or I thought about creating them myself and then setting them to private until I get around to setting them up.

Thanks!

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi jinglesnbells,

Yeah, I think that could easily be done by specifying those particular names in the banned names list at Network Admin > Settings as illustrated here:

Though I have to say, your idea of creating the site then setting it as private sounds brilliant. With that, you could even setup a basic site that notifies users that the name is taken and then use New Blog Templates to set it as a template to use for all such temporarily unavailable sites.

Cheers,
    David

• jinglesnbells
    • Flash Drive

I totally missed that field. I had searched that page and just kept glancing over it I guess. That makes sense.

I will also have to looking into your suggestion of setting up a basic site. I have never looked at new blog template. I think that will work as well....maybe even better than just blocking the site from being created. I plan on using them eventually - just not right now.

Thanks so much for your help David!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.