Blocking strangers with membership plugin

Is adding a url group of public sub blogs to negative conditions for strangers supposed to substitute needing another privatizing plugin? Because 'strangers' still see them.

Associated roles doesn't update for me.

• stacy

Setting up stranger with certain sub blogs blocked by group urls or blogs isn't keeping them off.

As for memberships, if I set blog B as a negative rule for a certain membership, they still get it. If I set that blog's url to negative, they still get to it. Did I still need to have a privacy plugin in addition to this?

Do I need to network activate this plugin and hide it in menu from users then?

The set up I want is :
    Membership A has access to blog, A , B
    Membership B has access to blog A, C,D
    Strangers/ Visitors shouldn't see anything of A,B,C,D but of course user created public blogs.

• stacy

I don't think there's any way to block whole blogs by membership levels with this plugin ( maybe it's a Budypress thing) .

Network activating just gives each blog it's own membership plugin. There's no network admin menu for it. Still tested it with main admin menu and was unsuccessful. This means members would have to have different membership levels on each blog, subscribing separately.

I mean it seemed like it should a) block all content to strangers b) some memberships have access to certain blogs, other memberships have access to different blogs.

All the appropriate levels/subscriptions/gateways are always active and public.

I will send my info via contact form.

• Jonathan

@stacy,

What I've done is make the membership global - that is across my network. To enable global tables add
    define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', true);
    To your config.php file,

This will force the plugin to use one set of tables, so subscriptions / levels are now network wide :slight_smile:
    Warning: the rules and some other options don't work very well when global tables are being used. I did read this is being addressed for the next version but to make life easier for me...
    I just use conditional statement in my themes header
    Example, mine is a bit more complex :wink:

if ( current_user_on_level($levelid) ) {
    			do something
    		} else {
    			do something else

}

There are a few you could use

current_user_is_member()
    current_user_on_level($level_id)
    current_user_on_subscription($sub_id)

Anyways, I wrote up something specific for my setup, but you can do whatever you want.

Oh, important, you need to have membership network activated.

Jonathan

• Mason

Thanks for sharing this Jonathan.

Stacy, as we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem
    was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this
    thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not
    Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU
    DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of
    assistance in the future.

Thanks!