Blog and News Page Template

How can I get the Blog and News Page Template to show the summary version of Blog's (like the Blog Archive Widget) so people can "click here to read more"............otherwise people have to scroll down a long ways to see all the Blog Post and Categories. Would be nice to have the html code to put all the Blog Categories into a regular page. There must be a way to accomplish this. Please advise. My website: http://www.gohealthynext.com Thanks

• eileensventures
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Okay.......I just couldn't wait. So I've been looking around and reading. I created the directory, style.css and now I am working on locating the correct template to copy into the new directory to modify.

Is this the correct template: template-blog.php. Assuming it is do I change this line?

<?php the_content(__('...click here to read more', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?>

To this:

<?php the_excerpt(__('...click here to read more', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?>

Here is the complete template-blog.php:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Blog and News
    */
    ?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="post-entry" class="single-column">

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_blog_home' ) ?>

<?php $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1; query_posts("cat=&showposts=10&paged=$page"); while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<div <?php if(function_exists("post_class")) : ?><?php post_class(); ?><?php else: ?>class="post"<?php endif; ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">

<h1 class="post-title">" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permalink to', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?> <?php the_title(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>

<div class="post-author"><?php the_time('jS F Y') ?> <?php _e( 'by', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?> <?php if( $bp_existed == 'true' ) { ?><?php printf( __( '%s',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), bp_core_get_userlink( $post->post_author ) ) ?><?php } else { ?> <?php the_author_posts_link(); ?><?php } ?> <?php _e( 'under', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?> <?php the_category(', ') ?>     <?php edit_post_link(__('edit', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?></div>

<div class="post-content">
    <?php the_content(__('...click here to read more', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?>
    </div>

<div class="post-tagged">
    <p class="tags">
    <?php if(function_exists("the_tags")) : ?>
    <?php the_tags(__('tagged in ', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), ', ', ''); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </p>
    <?php if ( comments_open() ) { ?>
    <p class="com">
    <?php comments_popup_link(__('Leave Comments →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), __('One Comment →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), __('% Comments →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?>
    </p>
    <?php } ?>
    </div>

</div>

<?php endwhile; ?>

<div id="post-navigator">
    <div class="alignright"><?php next_posts_link( __( '« Previous Entries', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ) ?></div>
    <div class="alignleft"><?php previous_posts_link( __( 'Next Entries »', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ) ?></div>
    </div>

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_blog_home' ) ?>

</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    <?php get_footer();

• eileensventures

Preview looks wierd. Do I have errors in my child theme? Did I put in the wrong location
    Here is the style.css I created

/*
    Theme Name: BuddyPress Corporate Child Theme
    Description: Child Theme for the BuddyPress Corporate Theme
    Author: Eileen Durfee
    Template: bp-corporate
    */
    @import url(../bp-corporate/style.css":wink:;

I created:
    ...themes/bp-corporate-child
    and then put style.css here....themes/bp-corporate-child/style.css
    put header.php here......themes/bp-corporate-child/header.php
    put template-blog.php here......themes/bp-corporate-child/template-blog.php

Do I have errors in the style.css? Or did I put it in the wrong location

the Parent theme is located ....themes/bp-corporate

• eileensventures

I am using BuddyPress Corporate Theme........... So when I preview the Child it's format doesn't view correctly........so my question was the style.css if I created the file wrong or put it in the wrong place. I could create a temporary login for you to check into this.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Tip: don't share login details on a public forum unless you want your site hacked!

The problem is your child theme style.css file. It contains this:
    @import url(../bp-corporate/style.css");

Not the quotation marks. It should look like this;
    @import url('../bp-corporate/style.css');

Thanks

• eileensventures

Another question......I activated the child theme to do Excerps of the Blog Posts.....by using <?php the_excerpt(); ?> however, now the Forums plugin looses it's colored preview. Can we dial this down even more so the Forums will show without a excerpt and the Blog posts can? See screen shots. Thanks,

Eileen

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi
    you could try create another page template but remove the <?php the_excerpt(); ?> and change the top

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: YOUR TEMPLATE NAME
    */
    ?>

or edit the blog news template the_excerpt like this

<?php if ( !is_page('forum') ) {  //check whats the slug page for the forum ?>
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    <?php } ?>
  • eileensventures

Okay........I tried editing the blog news template as shown below. Basically it still shows an excerp of the forums and the blog entries. What did I do wrong?

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Blog and News
    */
    ?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="post-entry" class="single-column">

<?php do_action( 'bp_before_blog_home' ) ?>

<?php $page = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1; query_posts("cat=&showposts=10&paged=$page"); while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<div <?php if(function_exists("post_class")) : ?><?php post_class(); ?><?php else: ?>class="post"<?php endif; ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">

<h1 class="post-title">" rel="bookmark" title="<?php _e('Permalink to', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?> <?php the_title(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></h1>

<div class="post-author"><?php the_time('jS F Y') ?> <?php _e( 'by', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?> <?php if( $bp_existed == 'true' ) { ?><?php printf( __( '%s',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), bp_core_get_userlink( $post->post_author ) ) ?><?php } else { ?> <?php the_author_posts_link(); ?><?php } ?> <?php _e( 'under', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ?> <?php the_category(', ') ?>     <?php edit_post_link(__('edit', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?></div>

<div class="post-content">
    <?php if ( !is_page('forum') ) { //check whats the slug page for the forum ?>
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    <?php } ?>
    </div>

<div class="post-tagged">
    <p class="tags">
    <?php if(function_exists("the_tags")) : ?>
    <?php the_tags(__('tagged in ', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), ', ', ''); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </p>
    <?php if ( comments_open() ) { ?>
    <p class="com">
    <?php comments_popup_link(__('Leave Comments →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), __('One Comment →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), __('% Comments →', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?>
    </p>
    <?php } ?>
    </div>

</div>

<?php endwhile; ?>

<div id="post-navigator">
    <div class="alignright"><?php next_posts_link( __( '« Previous Entries', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ) ?></div>
    <div class="alignleft"><?php previous_posts_link( __( 'Next Entries »', TEMPLATE_DOMAIN ) ) ?></div>
    </div>

<?php do_action( 'bp_after_blog_home' ) ?>

</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.