Blog avatar in blog directory with BuddyPress

How do I show a blog avatar using the Blogs Directory plugin?

The instructions for the plugin say to use the Avatars plugin but when I activate it I get a message saying that it has been de-activated because BuddyPress has its own avatar system.

Any ideas?

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi David

Unfortunately you won't be able to upload the avatars for the Blogs Directory because the avatars used in the Blogs Directory plugin are associated with the blog avatars from our Avatar plugin ( https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/avatars). With our avatar plugin users upload a comment avatar to Users > Your Avatar and Settings > Blog Avatar.

As Kimberly highlighted you can't use our Avatar plugin if you are using BuddyPress because it has it's own avatar system.

Personally while it is nice to have the avatars on the Blogs Directory page I know from experience that many of our users don't upload the Blog Avatar so I quite like the look of the Blogs Directory without the avatars.

Hope this information has helped!

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• Sue
    • Recruit

Hi David

If you aren't using our Avatar plugin on a Multisite you don't see any avatars on the blog directory page and you just see the Site titles with no avatar (not even the default avatar).

Whereas here is what it looks like if the Avatar plugin is activated and most users haven't uploaded the blog avatars - http://wonecks.net/blogs/

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• camparoo
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You may want to direct users (and yourself) to Gravatar. This service allows users to create email address specific avatar images. I use this service, and it automatically loads an image as my avatar on WordPress sites as well as in many other applications. Just go here to create an account, and follow the directions to make your own email addy applicable image.

If your site offers an alternative avatar, users can change this on your site with the right plug-in, but I find most people are happy posting with their universal image.

• david10
    • Flash Drive

Interesting, I am not using the Avatars plugin but my blog directory still shows the default avatar. Could be related to my theme's integration with BuddyPress? I am using a Genesis theme that is technically not supported by Genesis Connect.

Maybe I'll disable the Blog Directory plugin and see how it looks.

@camparoo thanks for the reminder about Gravatar but their service is specific to an email address so I don't think you can use to associate a logo with a blog.

• Sue
    • Recruit

@David It probably has more to do being installed on a BuddyPress network. We list the Blogs Directory plugin as compatible with WordPress Multisite 3.3.2 only which means is may not work as you would like on BuddyPress.

Just out of interest I was wondering why not use the inbuilt BuddyPress Blogs directory - https://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/all-about-blog-tracking/ ?

@campaoo Great reminder about Gravatars and I use it for my email accounts. I also recommend it as an option for our users however for our younger users (our school students) the avatar plugin is better suited for them.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    WPMU DEV Support

• david10
    • Flash Drive

I use the Blog Directory plugin so I can prevent unpaid blogs from showing up in the Directory.

I use ProSites with Pay To Blog enabled and the option to Hide unpaid blogs keeps my directory clean.

Thanks for your help. This isn't a big deal, just some clean up stuff and making sure I wasn't missing something or doing something wrong.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.