Blog Avatar Problems

Hey there~
For whatever reason, blog avatars aren't loading. Would you tell me what I should be looking for to resolve this?

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

Standard things you should do with any problem you encounter are;
    - check you're using the latest version of WordPress and all plugins and themes
    - disable all plugins and revert to the default TwentyTen theme to see if the problem persists
    - if the problem is resolved, re-enable plugins one-by-one to see which causes the error

Do that and then let me know what you find :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Phil

• tutuology
    • The Bug Hunter

Didn't work :slight_frown:
    When I go to 'blog avatar' then upload image, everything's fine, but after that, it just shows the dog-earred image thing-a-ma-jig (showing that the image didn't upload. I would really like my customers to have a custom avatar instead of using the monster.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

I don't see a dog-eared image on that page - where is the avatar supposed to be?

Is it possible to grab a login to your site? You definitely shouldn't lose settings for WPMU DEV SEO so I think there's something else at play here....

Send details for my attention (in the subject) using the contact form.

Phil

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya tutuology!

You may actually want to use BuddyPress, depending on whether you'd like to provide social networking capabilities to your members, where they can message each other on your website. It comes with all the avatar capabilities you'd need all built into it. So you wouldn't need the Avatars plugin in that case.

And fortunately, this is one of the few places on the web where you'll find BuddyPress compatible themes and it so happens your theme is BuddyPress compatible. So all you'd need to do is install BuddyPress, which you can actually do right from your admin area at Plugins > Add New, search for "buddypress" and install it!

You can also find out more about BuddyPress at the following:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/buddypress-faq/

However, as that doesn't explain why your Avatars are not working as intended, assuming you're still interested in getting that troubleshooted, could you navigate to Settings > Discussions and try out a few things as illustrated?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Ah, I didn't realize you were using the whole suite! You may prefer using BuddyPress for all this, depending on your circumstances, as BuddyPress is rather adept at keeping users at your main site. It also provides for rather extensive customization of the registration process as well, where you could specify which registration fields you want and where they appear. You could even provide additional profile fields that are able to be edited only after the initial registration process.

I've actually used Communities on a BuddyPress site myself and it's worked without the Avatars (the Avatars plugin will conflict with BuddyPress). It's not something we support, as these plugins aren't designed for use with BuddyPress, but I can say I've had Communities work alongside BuddyPress and it's actually quite nice since it presents a sort of hidden community on your site where store owners could perhaps communicate amongst each other.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.