Blog created under Wordpress Multisite Install creates 404 Error

Hello,

I've just completed a wordpress multisite install and have created additional sites using the subdomain configuration.

When I try to access the subdomain sites, I get a '404 Error File Not Found.'

I followed all the steps exactly as outlined and have gottened the MU install to work on my previous server set up.

Any help would be really awesome.

Sincerely,
Calvin

• Tyler Postle

Hey Calvin,

Hope you're doing well today!

Okay, so you have added the .htaccess and wp-config.php code? It looks like you have.

The next most likely issue here, is that the wildcard subdomain is not setup properly, or at all.

Have you entered in the *.domain.com wildcard subdomain?

Make sure that the document root is the root of your WP install, normally that is /public_html

often when creating a wildcard it will add "wildcard" to the end of that, so it looks like /public_html/wildcard

remove the "wildcard", we want to make sure it's pointing just to your root install :slight_smile:

Hope that helps Calvin! If you're still having any issues just let us know.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Calvin Kwon

Tyler,

Thanks for the tip! It was slightly different but I was able to figure it out with your guidance :slight_smile:

So I have three domain names under my hosting account (domain1 / domain2 / domain3). Domain1 is the primary domain... and domain2 and domain3 are addon to the primary. And when I created the addon domain, domain2 and domain3 were made as subdomain of domain1... so there are folders for domain2 and domain3 in the root folder (e.g. /public_html/domain2)....

So instead of deleting the 'wildcard' to the root folder, I simply changed that to the name of the subdomain!

Now it works ! Thank you!!

Calvin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.