Blog Creation Email Not Sent

I am having a similar issue as described here, except not using buddypress, just multisite and the membership plugin. I know its a result of the membership plugin, because I was previously using and infusionsoft plugin which has this as one of its multisite bugs, and everything worked fine once i deactivated that.

So i get the email that a new blogis created, as the admin, but the user doesnt. This is problematic, because i cant expect that my users are going to remember their new URL, or how to log in to their new site. any way to make sure this email is still sent?

Im on WP 3.04, multisite, using membership plugin though the plugins directory only for the main site.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello laureenc,

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that with the Membership plugin activated, when users create new blogs, they don't receive the email that the blog has been created?

If this is correct, do the users receive the initial activation request for the new blog?

Also, is their a particular type of subscription (paid, free, etc.) this affects or does this apply to all blog creations regardless of subscription status?

Basically, I'd like to try and replicate the problem to try and pinpoint where it's occurring before sending it off to the developers. I also want to make sure I'm understanding the issue correctly.

Thanks for your patience,
    David

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Laureenc,

It may also be worth checking whether any e-mails are going out to members.

Perhaps try to go through the password retrieval process to determine if any e-mails are being sent, that will rule out the mail sending functions as being the problem and help us to narrow down the cause.

Cheers,
    Phil

• laureenc
    • Flash Drive

all other emails are sent. new user reg is sent, and if i create a site through the admin panel its sent. it seems like the new blog is automatically activated. im working around this by using buddypress for this particular project, so they can just login at the main site and have the link to their dashboard in the admin bar - since getting that link in my opinion is the most important part of getting that message. So im not in a hurry, but im sure this issue will come up again for me in the future.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi Laurennc,

Thanks for the extra info!

I've set up a completely clean WordPress install with Membership to replicate this. I am receiving the activation e-mail no problem.

That would suggest there's something happening in your set up rather than it being the plugin.

So to that end let's check some simple items;
    - has the e-mail perhaps been moved into a spam filter?
    - can users log in and edit their site without activating?

Thanks
    Phil

• Man
    • Flash Drive

Hello, I found myself facing the same problem, Membership + Multi-site cause the wp-signup.php to fail in sending Welcoming Email to clients on new Blog creation, I've disabled other plug-ins as suggested here but no use.

• Man
    • Flash Drive

I've created a fresh test environment with new MultiSite installation, I also installed Membership plug-in still the following template is not triggered when creating a New Site:

Dear User,

Your new SITE_NAME site has been successfully set up at:
    BLOG_URL

You can log in to the administrator account with the following information:
    Username: USERNAME
    Password: PASSWORD

We hope you enjoy your new site. Thanks!

--The Team @ SITE_NAME
  • Man
    • Flash Drive

Ok, found the problem, my second fresh installation no plugin is active or even installed:
    The problem is from the core WP functionality, I've found that the template is used only one time, the first time a user is registered (along with his first blog), and only when you choose "Both sites and user accounts can be registered" option.

If anyone knows how to list blogs owned by a user in profile or widget, please, let me know.

• aristath
    • Recruit

You can use this function (there's an example on that page as well): http://codex.wordpress.org/WPMU_Functions/get_blogs_of_user#Examples

The code from the example will list all blogs of user 1.
    To list the blogs of the current user, you would do it like this:

$user_id = get_current_user_id();
    $user_blogs = get_blogs_of_user( $user_id );

echo 'User ' . $user_id . '\'s blogs:<ul>';

foreach ( $user_blogs AS $user_blog ) {
    	echo '<li>' . $user_blog->blogname . '</li>';
    }
    echo '</ul>';

You can then wrap it all in a parent function and declare it like a widget:

class MyBlogsWidget extends WP_Widget {

function MyBlogsWidget() {
    		// Instantiate the parent object
    		parent::__construct( false, 'User Blogs list' );
    	}

function widget( $args, $instance ) {

$user_id = get_current_user_id();
    		$user_blogs = get_blogs_of_user( $user_id );

echo 'User ' . $user_id . '\'s blogs:<ul>';

foreach ( $user_blogs AS $user_blog ) {
    			echo '<li>' . $user_blog->blogname . '</li>';
    		}
    		echo '</ul>';

}

function update( $new_instance, $old_instance ) {
    		// Save widget options
    	}

function form( $instance ) {
    		// Output admin widget options form
    	}
    }

function my_blogs_register_widgets() {
    	register_widget( 'MyBlogsWidget' );
    }

add_action( 'widgets_init', 'my_blogs_register_widgets' );

You can add the above code to your theme's functions.php file. Once you visit the widgets area on your dashboard, you will see a new widget there called "User Blogs list".
    Just add it to one of your widget areas and you should be good to go.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.