Blog function not working in upfront editor

I want to start making blog posts using the UF editor.

I have made several posts using the standard WP method.

I read this today: Working with Pages and Posts

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/upfront-pages-posts/?mc_cid=df79705e7a&mc_eid=114d8301e7

My screen does not look like that.

The box on my screen comes up and says “loading” and that is it.

I do not get the little menu on the right side (Publish / Categories, Tags and URL) at all.

I cannot add any content to the box. It’s stuck on “loading”

I need to get this squared away, as this site will have a massive amount of user generated content, photos and videos.

I will be training several of the board members next week on how to post their content.

This is an urgent request, as I have been bogged down in the other bugs in this system that have put me about 10 days behind.

I am now in the process of a total rebuild of the site, and other work is taking a beating because I am spending an inordinate amount of hours each day trying to work through all the bugs in this system – or trying to figure out what is a bug.

This should have never been released in this condition. Sad, very sad to see the amount of wasted hours coming through these support ticket messages.

It seems like every time I try something to advance this site, there is a bug to deal with that ends up costing (and I mean real $ cost of my time!) hours, days, and now we are into weeks.

This system has great potential, but you are screwing it up for users.

I will attach a screen shot of today’s bug. Yep, another in the “Bug of the Day” series.

• Michelle Shull
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hi there, Charles!

I’ve seen this issue before, it’s related to a security setting implemented by your host. The host I’ve primarily seen this with is SiteGround, they’ve created a fix on their end that can be implemented server-side if you drop them a support ticket.

If you’re with a different host other than SiteGround, let us know and we’ll see if there’s a known fix for your particular host.

Thanks for your question!

• Charles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

screenshot….. loading….

And, as I have since discovered, when I click on a Category or Tag in the sidebar I set up (yet another issue of no global sidebar region…:wink:, not all the posts show up on the resulting page. Only one post shows up when there should be multiple posts for the selected Category or Tag.

• Charles

Hi Michelle,

“they’ve created a fix on their end”

“If you’re with a different host other than SiteGround, let us know and we’ll see if there’s a known fix for your particular host.”

Please look into this. My host is InMotion: https://www.inmotionhosting.com/

Please also send more details so I can work on this with InMotion.

I need that blog function to work in the next 48 hours, as my meeting to train the board members who will be posting to the site is this week.

Thanks.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Charles

Sorry the response took a while longer than expected. Appreciate your patience. Looks like Michelle is really busy and this one looks urgent, I’m gonna take the liberty of chipping in here.

The issue we had with SiteGround was that one file was named suspiciously and they had rules setup to automatically block it. This is the file in question

upfront/scripts/upfront/templates/popup.html

Here is a fix, adding this to the .htaccess file in your site root should fix it.

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterRemove 00318
    </IfModule>

Sorry the response took a bit

Hope that helped

Cheers

Jude

• Charles

I also went into Mod Security in cpanel and disabled it for the test domain. The code from your response above is still in the two .htaccess files.

Here is a screenshot of the mod security page in cpanel

What do I do next?

• Charles

Thank you Jude for the quick response. I appreciate that as I am under a lot of time pressure for delivering this site to the client.

I took the code out of both file.

I go to the site.

I enter UF

I click on New Post. This is what I get:

loading…

Please show me where you went that does not show this (loadin…:wink: and how it looks when functioning properly.

I have another list of issues with the blog that are up next after we finish this. Hopefully fixing this will answer some or all of the next set of questions I have.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Phew .. looks like it was a conflict with this plugin. Deactivating it fixes the issue.

Social Media Buttons & Widgets

This is plugin is a simple social media button that appear on all page and post it has also facebook like box, google badge and twitter feed.

Version 1.4.1 | By Ruel Nopal | View details

Thanks for the patience

Cheers

Jude

• Charles

Wow! I never would have thought of that one!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

I just went out and checked. What a different look!

Now, should I go back and prepost all the blog posts (I only have 6 or so in there) using the UF interface rather than the back end?

Also, when I teach the board members this week, should I teach them backend (normal look) or UF? I do not want them messing around with menus or widgets.

What do you suggest?

Thank again, I appreciate your rapid response and solution.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Charles

Thanks for the up vote and nice review :slight_smile: Appreciate that.

Please delete (from Trash) the few posts I created as part of my tests.

Also, when I teach the board members this week, should I teach them backend (normal look) or UF? I do not want them messing around with menus or widgets.

As long as they stick to the right sections I don’t see an issue here. Unless they go out of the way to try and modify something you’re covered

Cheers

Jude

• Charles

Ok, I made a post, added it to several categories, and tags, but when I click on those categories/tags on my widget in the sidebar on the Blog page, they do not show up on the resulting page.

The results are not accurate for the category or tag.

• Charles

Also, since I cannot use the Social Media Buttons & Widgets plugin, do you know of an alternative I can use?

Our business model is heavily geared towards driving traffic to the site from social media, so this is a “must have” for us.

Thanks.

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Charles

Can you flush the permalinks and try again ? If that does not work please give me some examples and i’ll take a look.

Also, since I cannot use the Social Media Buttons & Widgets plugin, do you know of an alternative I can use?

The problem with this plugin was that it loads scrips synchronously which is really bad practice anyway. It means that it blocks everything else till the site loads the scripts.

Any plugin that does this Async should work for you

Cheers

Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.