Blog Migration to New WP Install

Hello! I am building a new site for an existing client. They have a fairly extensive blog that they would like to transfer to the new site. What is the best method of bringing all necessary posts and media from their old site to the new one? I've made use of the built-in WP import/export features, but it seems it has trouble with larger blogs.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Sean Christman , I hope you are doing well today!

You can migrate the site content with the Snapshot Pro plugin.

Create new Snapshot from Snapshot > Add New, in the section "What ti Archive" choose Include selected files: and Media Files: wp-content/uploads

In a section "What tables to Archive" choose "Include selected database tables in this Snapshot". To migrate only posts, choose the wp-posts table (you might have a different prefix than wp) and wp_postmeta

Choose the wp_comments and wp_users to migrate comments and users too.

After this feel free to create a snapshot, download and upload to another site using FTP.

I would suggest to do it first on the development copy of your site to make sure that everything will migrate correctly.

You can check out this blog post where we have instructions how to migrate a site with Snapshot. Since you wish to migrate only posts, do not select all database tables.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,
    Nastia

• Sean Christman
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your help, Nastia! Unfortunately, when I try to run the snapshot, when it gets to the media section I get the following message: "This request takes too long to process, it is timed out by the server. If it should not be timed out, please contact administrator of this web site to increase 'Connection Timeout'."

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Sean Christman,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

As stated in the error message you would have to increase the maximum execution time. You can do so on your own by following one of methods described in this blog post.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/

You can see your current execution time in WordPress Dashboard -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info -> PHP -> max_execution_time

So, before making the changes, note down this value and see if this increased. If it increase then try again.

If none of method mentioned in blog post worked for you then you have to contact your hosting support for assistance. Because some host does not allow changing the values per site basis by users.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Sean Christman
    • Flash Drive

Good morning! I made the changes as outlined in the blog you provided, but now when I try to run the snapshot it won't even get to the files section before I receive an error message. When it gets to "WP_Posts" it freezes at 91% and says the following: "ERROR: PclZIP table: Array: add failed : -10: gzip temporary file '/home/mccamycons/domains/mccamyconstruction.com/public_html/wp-content/uploads/snapshots/_backup/1481122265/pclzip-584ab34945c56.gz' has invalid filesize - should be minimum 18 bytes [code -10]]" I followed the path and the file in question has a size of 0 bytes.

• Sean Christman
    • Flash Drive

Whoops, scratch my last post. I found out that even though the backups weren't successful, they were still creating massive files that ate up all the server space. I deleted those out and ran the backup again with a max time of 180 and still got the same message. Should I increase it further? The media folder is about 2gb, fyi.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Sean Christman :slight_smile:

Yes, 2GB is still fairly a big size for backup. Please increase it to 300 and then check again.

Can you actually see the changes taking effect here WordPress Dashboard -> WPMU DEV -> Support -> System Info -> PHP -> max_execution_time ?

Also, you might need enough free disk space on your server too. So make sure you have enough space or request increase the quota.

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• Sean Christman
    • Flash Drive

Hey there! I raised the limit to 300, 600, and 1000, and I get the same message each time. I've checked and the support panel does register that the change has taken place. Is there anything else I can try? I've got access to another plugin I can use, but I was hoping to keep everything in the WPMUDev universe if possible.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hello Sean Christman,
    Hope you are doing good :slight_smile:

If you still getting this error message then it means the images size is a lot and your server is unable to handle it. This something that is already reported to our developer and he is working on it to move large files using Snapshot plugin.

In this case, you have to move the media files manually to new location and proceed to database and other settings via Snapshot.

Don't worry, images just needs to be there in same folder. Once you will setup the database these images will automatically be linked.

So, there will be two steps.

1. Create a Snapshot archive without media files.

2. Import on new site.

3. Zip the media folder in cPanel (its easy to create zip archive of files and recommended). Now download the zip file on your computer.
    http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/file-manager/compressing-uncompressing-files

3.a If you don't have cPanel then connect to your server via FTP program like FileZilla. Download the files on your local computer.

4. Now upload the zip archive on new server via cPanel and uncompress/extract it there (recommended).
    https://docs.joomla.org/Uploading_and_extracting_an_archive_file_with_CPanel

4.a Again, if you don't have cPanel then you connect with your server via FTP program like FileZilla and upload the folder you downloaded in step 3.a.

5. Done!

Best Regards,
    Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.