Blog or user affiliates

Hi,

Could you tell me if the plugin works on blogs or users? I have it set up for Supporter blogs, but I also have other blogs that I would like the editor to get the affiliate payments from. I want to stay as admin so that they can’t change the theme, plugins etc. But I had a look (not as the superadmin), and I set up the affiliates on my blog, and then when I visited another blog that I was an editor of, it already had my affiliates set up, so is the affiliates just set by user? I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi David,

It’s in the plugins folder, and it’s not network activated, but auto activated for supporters.

So I just deactivated it there now on two blogs, one where I am the admin, and one where I am the editor (but want the affiliates for the editor), I activated on the blog and entered by PayPal details. Then when to the other one and activated it…it’s already set up, so I selected the edit, and there are my PayPal details! I used an email address I’ve never used before, so it can’t have been “remembered”!

Is this the way it should work, or is it only for admins?

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

User accounts are global across all blogs/sites on an install so user level information is always going to be available on all blogs/sites – that’s why the same password and username work on all your blogs/sites.

The PayPal email is an extra bit of user information that the affiliate plugin creates (just like the profile fields in your profile edit page – name, nickname, aol / jabber / etc., fields) – so will be available on any blog/site.

• Fondeli
    • The Bug Hunter

So, I have found the answer to my second questions there, there is no list of users as the plugin is not network activated, but I can search for them.

But my first questions remains unsolved! How does a member of the network get the affiliate payments from two blogs, is it best to use the banners?

Thanks.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

How does a member of the network get the affiliate payments from two blogs, is it best to use the banners?

Depending on which blog/site they are on when they look at their profile, the link will change – but the reference (the ?ref= ) part will always be the same regardless of the site as it’s based on their user account.

That means that visiting mytestsite.com?ref=fred-123 will register a click on mytestsite.com and a visit to someonesblog.mytestsite.com?ref=fred-123 will register a click on someonesblog.mytestsite.com

Payments are made by the blog/site owner – so they’ll see the credits for their own site and that’s what they have to pay – it will all go to the same paypal account for the affiliate across all sites/blogs because they can only save a single one.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.