Blog Post Format: It's Ugly

In the Blogs Mu Theme, the posts have the category, tags etc at the top of the post above the content. It’s really ugly. How do I get it to default to the bottom where it belongs?

Running WPMS not BuddyPress.

Thanks

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey troykd, I hope your well.

Just so I fully understand your request, could you please take a screenshot of what you mean, then draw an arrow marking where you would like it moving to.

I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to edit or create a child theme with such changes so you can safely upgrade in the future.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya!

We’ve not heard any complaints about that as yet, mostly as most themes include the meta data at the top, but customizations are always possible at the template level! You’d have to do some minor adjustment in the template files as such, though you’ll very likely need to tweak the theme’s css to be the way you like it as well.

If you take a look at line 20 of single.php, you’ll see the following:

<?php _e('Filed Under',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN); ?> <?php the_category(', ') ?>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<?php the_tags(__('Tags: ',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN), ', ', ''); ?>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<?php edit_post_link(__('Edit',TEMPLATE_DOMAIN)); ?></div>

You can basically move all that occurs on that line before that final </div> anywhere you like in the theme, so perhaps to line 38. You might want to wrap that with the following in order to maintain the meta data styling:

<div class="post-meta"></div>

Let us know if you have any questions on that!

-David

• troykd
    • The Crimson Coder

I’ll give that a shot. Can this be incorporated in the child theme side?

If I put in a lot of categories and tags on a post I end up with a paragraph of keywords before the article/post and makes the post appear chaotic.

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we’ll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey troykd.

Don’t know if it was changed on the new version of Blogs Mu

I don’t believe this will be changed, its the layout of the theme as intended by the author/designer.

If you have set the child theme up, made the changes your desire and then activated it, it should be working for you. Here is some information on Child Themes:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

Hope that helps.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.