Blog Templates & Appointments + conflict.

Hi again, and good day to you.

Sorry to bother you but I am having great difficulty with the blog templates plugin, when working in conjunction with appointments+

I am trying to achieve a blog creation process with pre populated data so that users get a flying start with an appointments website.

My problem is this: I create a blog template - during creation I try to incorporate the database data from the appointments + fields as suggested in order to pre populate a blog with workers, services and work times etc.

The template creates ok, and indeed the new site clones the site as expected with pages and theme and plugins, but I cannot get the appointments+ db data to clone too.

What's worse is, if I then delete this new blog it deletes the appointments+ data from the first (cloned) site too!!! Meaning I have to input all the worker, times and services data back in again.
(I now back up my database before creating or deleting any new test sites)

If you could shed any light on this I would be most grateful

Thanks in advance.

Wayne5

• aristath

Hello again @Wayne,

I'm afraid I'll have to take a closer look at your installation to figure out what's going on...

Can you send me your admin credentials please?
    - Send an email using our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown
    - On the subject enter "Attn: aristath".
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue
    - Include a link to your website
    - Include your superadmin credentials (username + password)

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Wayne

Mmm very interesting Ari. I tried 3 times and all three times the data was not copied over. I also had 3 goes at making the template in case I had missed something.
    This is very strange.

I will check things out and see what I find. I have copied the data from the database so there is no chance of losing that again.

Many thanks for having a look at it though.

I'll get back to you shortly.

Regards,
    @Wayne5

• Wayne

Hi Ari,

Upon closer inspection none of the appointments data actually transferred to the new site you created via the template. What's more it did actually wipe out the original app data from the demo that the template was made from.

I have imported the app data back into the data base so you will see the demo site is working as it should but if you look closely at the site you created (demo2) and try to make an appointment you will see there is no data there for the application to work.

I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board on this one. I will keep trying to fix it but if you have any ideas or pointers I would be most pleased if you can let me know.

Thanks for now though as usual!.

Wayne.

• Wayne

Hi again,

Well... that didn't work. I added another site using the template created via blog templates and the same thing happened. .

I Got the new site ok with most of the template look and feel, but once again no appointments+ data and it wiped out the database information in my origianl site (my demo site) for the appointments plugin. Good thing I have a back up!

It may be worth mentioning my setup here: I am using shared hosting and not a dedicated or vps server.
    I do intend to move the a vps soon but for now, during the development I think learning to use the vps will slow my progress as I still need to manipulate some files using cpanel.

Hope the info here helps.
    Thanks
    @wayne

• Wayne

Update,

I have manually transferred the appointments data to the new site created from the template and the site does work as it should. However I noticed that none of the images carried over either, so I manually copied these over too.

The new site now works albeit with some manual intervention.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

@wayne5

• Matthew

Hey again,

I really love these two plugins. Do we have anyone that can offer help here?

My situation is this:
    I am using appointments on the blogs in my multisite network. I want any newly registered user to get a standard template as his new blog. So I use New Blog Templates for this.

It works great, except for two things.
    1) The appointment data is not copied to the new blog even though I select it in the template settings.
    2) All appointments data from the template blog is deleted, very annoying...

Any help would be fantastic?

Thanks,
    -Matthew

• aristath

@Wayne @Matthew
    The developer and I both try to replicate this on our own systems and can't really do it.
    Can you please provide screenshots of your template site settings from the new blog templates plugin?
    Also, I would like to ask how exactly you created this WordPress installation.
    Did you manually install WordPress, or using an automated installer like Softaculous or something similar?

Please advise,
    Ari.

• Wayne

Hi again Ari, and thanks for looking into this.
    My problem is the same as Matthew's above, exactly the same.

I have tried making various templates, even from WPMUDEV's wordpress templates and the result is always the same. No data transferred and appointment data deleted from the original blog.

My word press install was manually installed and shows no other problems.
    I am using shared hosting but i don't think this should cause a problem.
    I am in the process of moving the whole install to a digital ocean vps to see if that helps.
    ( do you have any pointers for moving a multisite to digital ocean vps please)

I will try to get you some screen shots as I try again to make another template.

Stay tuned.

Regards
    Wayne.

• Wayne

Hi Ari,

I am still in the process of moving my site to the VPS you recommended.
    Almost there... Just waiting for DNS to propagate.
    It's been a steep learning curve and I am not exactly sure I have it all set up right as the tutorials seem to be in conflict sometimes.

However Once propagated and providing I can see my site I will test the template problem again. I could not solve it with the shared hosting.

A Question for @Matthew... Is your site on shared hosting too?

Thanks and speak soon.

Wayne

• Matthew

Hey all,

This is my situation:

I am using WAMP to develop my site locally. I just went through the following basic steps to see if the problem would still remain:

1. Install Wordpress 3.6 just as normal
    2. Turn it into multisite through the normal process
    3. Install Appointments+ 1.3.1
    4. Install New Blog Templates 2.1
    5. Activate them both for the network
    ---
    6. Create a new site (becomes id=2)
    7. Create a new page for your blog with some random info (just to check if pages are copied)
    8. Create a few services and a service provider for your site.
    9. Create your default blog template to be used (id=2), check everything and make sure to check the database tables wp_2_app_services etc. at the bottom
    ---
    10. Log out and create a new user with a new blog (make sure he gets the new template)
    11. Log in and see if the page has been copied (working for me)
    12. See if the appointment+ information has been copied. (not working for me)
    13. Check the blog template site to see if the appointment+ data still remains. (not working for me)

This is the exact process I have performed just now and I cannot get it to work. If I am doing something stupid or wrong, please let me know so we can solve it.

Otherwise, please try yourself and let me know what results you get.

Thanks for all the assistance,
    Br,
    -Matthew

• Wayne

Great work Matthew, and I have to add my thanks for going through all that install effort again.
    I too am trying all sorts of things but did not go to the lengths of re-installing everything.

I have however moved my whole install over to a VPS server to see if it makes any difference. So far though, I am having great difficulty in making my site work at all now. Partly my fault and partly the docs being very ambiguous at times.

Right now I have no idea where I am with it as it could also being hampered by DNS propagation.

I will leave it for a few hours and see what happens.

I did try again to create a site via a template and once again, same problem, lost database data and new site did not have any data in it. This test was on the old shared hosting though.

@Ari.... if you wouldn't mind and if you have time,.. do you think you could have a look at my install on the D.O VPS? Just to check the hosts file, .htaccess, apache2 conf etc?

Ok if you are too busy as I will get there eventually. But being a newbie to VPS I have no idea if I have it set up correctly or not.

Thanks any to all for watching this thread.

Regards,

Wayne

• Wayne

Hi @Ari & @Matthew.

I have had a little luck in getting my new server going. It looks like I did not have mod-rewrite turned on the .htaccess file was causing a server error. I think the site is resolving ok now.

The strange thing is though, the website in its new hosting environment is accessing the old database on a completely different server. I cannot figure out how its doing this. I have checked the wp-config file and there are no clues there.

Never the less, I tested the templates problem and it's still the same, It deleted data from the site I took the template from. But, I did notice that It only deletes the data upon creation of the new blog from the template, not during the template creation process.

I will wait a little longer to see if DNS propagation stops my site from using the old database. and try again.

@Ari, if you have any ideas why my site should use the old database I would be happy to hear them.

OK, that's it for now.

Regards,

Wayne

• Wayne

Hi Guys,

Thanks Ari for not forgetting us and this strange problem.

I seem to have my site working now at Digital Ocean and it's much faster too. All seems ok but I've not had chance to test the problem properly on there yet, but if i do I will let you know.

On other matters I will have to cancel my membership tonight but will sign up again asap. I was in such a rush to get started I did not read the sign up details properly and now find I will be charged $100 per month from now on! Blimey! There is no way I can justify that at the moment. So I have no option to but cancel then restart my membership on a better value plan. I hope that won't mess up my wpmudev dashboard or plug ins.

Bye for now and speak soon.

Regards as usual
    Wayne (5)

• Wayne

Hi @Ari & @Matthew.

Well, not such good news. I have made sure everything is working on the new server and indeed now that the DNS has propagated the site is functioning perfectly and using the new database on the new server.

However, the problem with the Templates plugin still exists.

Data is deleted from the site that the template was cloned from and the new cloned site does not have any appointment_app data in it either. I have backups so I can put back the data, but its a poor situation. Development will have to stop until a solution is found.

If you get anywhere with this please let us know.

Thanks again for your help so far.

PS, thanks for the heads Ari, up on D.O. Great fast server from them.

Wayne.

• Ignacio

Hi @Wayne.

It's been impossible to repoduce the error on this one. Would be possible for me to debug on your own site? I'll need to get access to FTP, DB and Super Admin network.

AS you made before with Ari:

Can you please send in:

- Mark to my attention
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include cPanel (I will need to look at the DB so need PHPMyAdmin or similar)
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    (Select "I have a different question" option)

I'll need a t least a one/two hours window for that. Could you tell me an exact time to do it? Please, bear in mind that I'm in GMT+1 time (Europe).

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Ignacio

Hi @Wayne.

I found something interesting. The issue appears when App+ is network activated and it seems that it has nothing to do with New Blog Templates. I sent an email to the App+ developer but meanwhile I activated App+ in the templated blog so when someone creates a new site based on that template, App+ tables are created, the plugin is activated and no tables are erased (I think it could be a temporary solution). Anyway, we're still working on this problem.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Wayne

Hi Ignacio,

Many apologies for my late reply and thanks for your help so far with this problem.
    I got your reply and will undertake your suggestions until a better solution has been developed to fix this..

In the meantime, i do seem to have a serious problem since you logged in, which is:

Every time I try to install any plugin i get the ftp log in box which does not accept any password and so I cannot update anything. Is it anything you may have left undone?

If you could log back in and fix it I would be very grateful.

Thanks again for your help so far.

Regards, Wayne.

• Matthew

@Ignacio,

What you found was very good. If I just deactivate appointments+ on network level and active it on the single site, it all works.

And once the blog is copied the plugin is automatically activated. The solution is good enough for me. Of course, there's still some problem you will have to dig deeper on.

Thanks guys, really helpful! I will continue to follow the thread to see what more you can find.

• Ignacio

Hi @Wayne.

I tried to install a plugin for debugging purposes from the backend and I saw the same screen and could not install it when I first got into your system, I thought that maybe another password was needed and I didn't know it so I decided to install the plugin manually through a FTP client. The issue could be related to the hosting company as it is rejecting the FTP connection but I didn't touch anything in wp-config.php just new blog templates plugin. Please, let me know if you discover anything, I'll help you on whatever you need.

By the way, we released today a new version and the issue should be fixed now. We added a function to add some integration between NBT and App+. You should be able to network activate App+.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Wayne

Thanks Ignacio for the reply.
    Sorry to blame you for the ftp thing, it's just that I had not noticed it before. I will try to discover the reason tomorrow. Know I know it was not you I should be able to trace the problem. I did work recently so I have no idea what's changed. I will let you know if i get stuck.

As for the new version but, do you mean a new version of App+ or NBT?
    And, how should I upgrade? uninstall - then reinstall or via the wpmu dashboard upgrade button??

Thanks again, speak soon and regards, Wayne.

• Wayne

Hi Ingnacio, Thanks for the reply> I will update both when i get my wordpress to connect via ftp.

I have read lots of posts about this issue and people are suggesting all kinds of fixes, from changing hosts to .htaccess, pretty links and upgrading apache and php to suphp, and the list goes on.

I am not sure where to turn. The only thing I can think of that I may have changed recently is starting mod-rewrite on my server, other than that nothing has changed.

Can I ask again if you changed anything such as permalinks, .htacces or anything else. I'm not blaming you at all, I just need a clue where to start looking to solve this.

Many thanks.

Wayne.

• Wayne

Hi again Ignacio.
    I think I have resolved the problem:

The method I used was this; I used putty to log into my VPS and issued the following command from the log in prompt:

sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www

I also added this line to the bottom of the wp-config php file in the root directory of the site:

define('FS_METHOD','direct'):

I got this from deciphering many different answers and posts on the web and this one worked for me. I guess it will only work if files are in the directory: /var/www otherwise you may have to substitute for your own directory structure for the site affected.

Please let me know if you think this is a safe method of fix that will not affect security.

Hope the answer I found will help others.

Thanks.

• Wayne

Hi All, @ari @Ignacio & @Matthew

I have just upgraded all plugins and unfortunately got the same result. Having app+ network activated the creation of a blog template and subsequent new blog creation from that template still deleted the original app+ data as before, and does not carry the app+ data to the new blog.

However, if I follow your advice on this thread and just deactivate appointments+ on a network level and active it on the single sites used for making the templates from it all works fine

And as Mathew stated..

"And once the blog is copied the plugin is automatically activated. The solution is good enough for me. Of course, there's still some problem you will have to dig deeper on".

Thanks guys for all your efforts and input. I too will continue to follow this thread to see if there are any further developments.

Regards, Wayne5