Blog Templates Gravity Forms Bug

This is two-part:

1. I found that New Blog Templates v.2.6.7 has a major incompatibility issue with Gravity Forms. I have GForms 1.8.7. Any webpage on my entire network is totally broken on any page that has a gravity form on it. The HTML will display until it reaches where the gform is supposed to be rendered. After that, its just a white screen. For now, Ive reverted by site back to using NBT 2.6.4 until this can be addressed.

2. I was experimenting with the Blog Template plugin on one theme a few months ago, but then removed the template and continued building the theme. Now that this theme template is complete I made it a blog template again, going thru the same process as earlier. However, when I create a new site and choose this template, its as if this new site is using all the template settings from 3 months ago instead of the way the current template is set up.
I choose All for everything in the settings. I choose all the pages to be duplicated also, but it doesn't duplicate everything. I think my database is not updating the template with the new info. How can I get this updated correctly? I don't think deactivating, and deleting the plugin will also delete the DB tables, but would like this plugin to have, either a completely clean install, or the DB tables to be updated to the current theme template settings. Please help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Jarel,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

I have just done some testing here and have replicated the same issue, I've notified the lead developer here :slight_smile:

2) I can't replicate this and this shouldn't be happening, are you using any database side caching such as memcache or similar? Can you grant me support access please via the WPMU DEV dashboard > support > support access and click "Grant Access".

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jarel
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Im currently using v2.6.4 because 2.6.7 was the one causing the issue with gravity forms.

I'll grant access for you too. I don't have any caching plugins on my network. Im using WPEngine and they have their own caching system.

After creating the new site I had to recreate a number of pages, custom categories and tags for some custom post types, adjust some setting in plugins, add a couple sidebars that weren't created and add the widgets, etc.

• Jarel

Well this at least didn't crash any pages with a gravity form. But the New Blog Templates plugin still won't duplicate a good amount of items based on my template site.

Its still missing 6-7 pages, all my theme options, extra sidebars from theme options, other various settings from plugins, won't activate 1 plugin at all, 4 membership levels not created, having weird issues with gravity forms not wanting to validate a form submitting to a custom post type created with Custom Press.

The New Blog Template plugin still won't copy over any new content or settings Ive created after the very first time I made my first site a template.

• Jarel

I tried creating a new site using my template option I created. But now nothing is being created when I make the site. I have the settings set to copy everything except users and files. However nothing is being copied at all now. Its as if the New Blog Template plugin is not even active. Its not doing anything.

• Jarel

I don't have a front end set up. I did this all in the network admin in Sites > Add New. I went thru the normal process of creating a new site in the wp admin, chose the template and click Add Site. Then the site is created as a regular wp site using the 2014 theme, and everything completely blank.

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Jarel.

I tried to create a new site and an error message appeared telling that WordPress installation was already done. I think I would need to check your system deeper.

Just bear in mind that weekend is near and tomorrow I won't be available the whole day so I'll maybe start to debug on monday.

Can you please send in:
    - Mark to my attention
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include admin/network access
    - Include FTP
    - Include any relevant URLS for your site

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    (Select "I have a different question" option)

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Jarel.

I got some results here.

1. The problem was when NBT tries to create two jobs board tables. The queries are not well done for those tables and I think that Job Boards plugin hacks something in order to create them but not completely sure, I haven't checked it. NBT gets the tables definitions and creates them in the new blog.

2. I removed those tables from the template options so they are not created now but there's something about NBT that you must know: If you select "Settings" in your template, all tables will be created even if you don't select them. This was added some versions ago because when you copy all the settings some plugins believe that the tables are already created and they don't create them any more. The problem is that I need to make it clear, I guess, so in order to remove the problematic tables I add a line of code in NBT that will be in next version (currently in your server too) and I added a new mu plugin in your server (wp-content/mu-plugins/nbt-hooks.php). That plugin forces to remove those tables.

3. As you may understand, those tables are not copied so Jobs Board may not work properly but I can't do anything there.

Just another comment. I see that you are trying to copy too many things, there are too many plugins and even Woocommerce is activated. Well, Working with contents copiers such as NBT is really hard and there are too many relationships between posts, images, etc in a WP installation, that's why NBT is recommended just to load some initial content and not to build a complete subsite. The more plugins you have activated, the more issues you'll find in your new site. For example, I just saw that the thumbnail in WooCommerce products is broken in the new subsite but that could be one of the many small problems.

That said, I'd like to add a better WooCommerce integration for the future, as is a well known plugin but I cannot do it for every plugin in the market so is up to you to hire a developer for that task if you really need all of those features.

Regards.
    Ignacio.

• Jarel

Ok. Thanks a lot for all your time investigating this. So would you recommend I just use the NBT for a basic setup then? Uncheck the Wordpress Settings, Current Theme, and Active Plugins, and leave the Pages/Posts/Categories/Menus checked?

Although it would be great to have those 3 separated into their own categories. Such as copy the current theme and settings its own checkbox, and the Plugins be a checkbox list like the Pages/Posts are, to only enable a few plugins be default, then manually activate the other more complex ones.

I was hoping NBT would be able to duplicate everything, but yeah, with amount of plugins and everything these organizations need, its probably too much. Just hoping I could be lazy, but since Im the only one creating new sites taking a few hours to set up a new site isn't to bad.

• Jarel

How did you get the test site you created to have all the content and settings in place? That was what I have been trying to do. The site you created I renamed and see that the gravity forms on this site works fine. But on the site I created the forms won't work properly. Trying to figure out what I did wrong so that these forms wont pass validation even tho all the fields are properly filled in?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Jarel,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay here.

Would you mind if I created a new sub site on your network, so I can try replicating this on your network, as all your settings technically look correct, but I'd like to try with a new sub site :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jarel

I saw the test site you created. But what Ignacio did earlier when he created a test site was actually duplicate the entire template site, with the theme, settings, plugins, etc. etc. and everything worked fine. Im trying to make a complete clone my original site minus users and media. When I did it, it seemed to cause an issue with gravity forms and validation of the forms. When Ignacio created a site everything worked fine. So not sure what he did that worked, that I didn't do?

• Ignacio
    • HummingBird

Hi @Jarel.

That's strange, I didn't do anything weird, just created a new site (I think that I created it from the back-end). Are you trying to create it from the front-end maybe? Have you tried from the back-end? Is there any difference between both methods?

Regards.
    Ignacio.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.