Blog + Upfront: Warning appears!

It is Parrot and not Spirit but I could not find Parrot in the drop down list - it wold be good to get that list sorted A-Z Please!

I changed some Text on our demos we have setup for all Upfront and other Themes but when we open up Parrot Blog we see the following warning right at the top:

WARNING: If you change the template associated with this post then any content or changes you have made using the drag and drop Upfront editor will be lost.

We did setup all Upfront Theme but it only appears here - all in same installation multisite.

The message is some kind of irritating as we do not change the template but the content of the post. "Edit Post"

At all other 7 Themes the message says "

To enable the embedding HTML, please upgrade to Pro »
" - not sure where does that suddenly come from - probably pro-sites - but why is it talking about embedding HTML - in short it is strange those messages as they don't point the user to the actual problem.

Kind regards

Andi

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andi,

It is Parrot and not Spirit but I could not find Parrot in the drop down list - it wold be good to get that list sorted A-Z Please!

Thanks for the feedback here, I switched your thread to Parrot and notified our developers both about missing theme and sorting.

I changed some Text on our demos we have setup for all Upfront and other Themes but when we open up Parrot Blog we see the following warning right at the top:

This message is shown to notify you that changes to template made from backend could wipe out any elements added using UF editor.
    Notification is there to warn about this before making any changes, it would be too late if it shows after someone changes template :slight_smile:

However it's strange that other themes show different message, would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Please respond in this thread once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Andi

Access Granted Predrag

If it is like you said then you have actually with upfront a major usability problem!
    I changed something in a blog post, where the message appeared - so how do people edit blog posts from the frontend?

If that should avoid that people edit the backend stuff than the backend should get blocked for editing - as you can't assume that customers can read, especially if the message appears in a small tiny box in ENGLISH only without any warning sign or symbol - in short users won't understand it.

If a message should avoid that somebody is doing something in te backend then it should be HUGE RED and have at least an Exclamation Mark or some lightning so that people get warned.

Much better would be to simply deactivate the editing :wink: in the backend of pages which should get edited ONLY in the frontend.

You can check now

Thanks

Andi

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andi!

If a message should avoid that somebody is doing something in te backend then it should be HUGE RED and have at least an Exclamation Mark or some lightning so that people get warned.

Much better would be to simply deactivate the editing in the backend of pages which should get edited ONLY in the frontend.

The message applies to the "page template" only so editing the content (like e.g. text on a page) from back-end isn't "prohibited" in anyway and I believe some users may prefer it this way so why forbid them? :slight_smile: I absolutely agree with you though on these two points: the warning could be much more "clear" and "standing out" and it would be a good solution to simply remove an option of changing page template.

I"ll pass that to the people "in charge" of Upfront development and usability and thank you for a valuable insight!

As for the other message. There's an "Unfiltered HTML" module enabled on your Multisite in "Pro Sites" (so your diagnose is right) and it's set to allow use of HTML on sites that are "1. Pro" level. If a site is a free/basic site it will not allow "raw HTML", hence the message.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andi,

Some people prefer adding posts from back end which basically can be done if you're finished with site customization and don't want to post from front end directly, there's can also be some compatibility issues with custom post types being added from back end.

And there's also posting from mobile devices where UF editor can be overkill for some so disabling backend posting completely wouldn't be a great idea. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag