Blog Upgrade Failed After Pro Sites Update

We just had a member upgrade their site, but then couldn't access their dashboard, instead being presented with the option to select a "Supporter" plan (That's how we brand it), which they already paid for.

I was able to get their user credentials in our chat room at the time. So I logged in as them and confirmed that they were NOT being redirected to their dashboard, even though they had already paid.

As a temp. fix, I manually extended the Supporter status, which allowed the user to access their dashboard. But this shouldn't happen.

Checking our PayPal account, there is no IPN history for the transaction. And yes, IPNs are working fine for this domain and PayPal account.

The user created the blog and upgraded it using the Supporter framework
in 2009. Their attempt to modify the site's status apparently failed under the new framework.

I fear this is going to start happening for all our sites!

What other information do you need from me to determine what happened and ensure problems don't persist for our other 100+ Supporter sites?

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @jcnjr,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

Are you using PayPal Express or Pro payment gateway?

Is it possible for you to reproduce the issue on your development or live site so that i can troubleshoot it?

If yes then could you please reproduce it creating new test user account and tell me that user name.

After that would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some troubleshooting? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just grant me temporary admin access to your site by clicking "Grant Access" button in the WPMU DEV Dashboard Settings as described on the following page and reply on this thread after granting it?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• jcnjr

Thank you for the quick reply @Vinod Dalvi
    We are using the PayPal Express Gateway.

I have not configured Pro Sites on our dev install, so have granted access on the live site at tripawds.com.

I was unable to replicate the exact issue encountered with the user I reported above. I did, however, attempt to upgrade a test user's blog and still notice a couple anomalies...

1. While the IPN did send successfully upon payment, there is no associated transaction ID. Is this to be expected? All other IPNs have a related transaction.

2. The expiration date for the new test blog upgrade was extended to June 22, the same day it was paid for, instead of July 22.

3. The new upgrade/signup did not get applied to the Pro Sites statistics charts. If fact, the stats charts do not seem to reflect any new signups for the past few months! Our records indicate 15+ new signups since January, and none are getting applied to the Activity Summary or Weekly stats, thought the total number has increased applicably.

4. For the user's blog upgraded yesterday, there is no Subscriber/Subscription info in the Pro Sites admin. The Account History indicates "PayPal subscription IPN 'recurring_payment_profile_created' received." but there is no Transaction ID associated with the message in my IPN History. Also note that the expiration date for this site is also the same date it was created, even though the user purchased the annual plan.

I will submit a contact form to your attention now with access details for the test account, and customer account having issues.

Please see attached screen shots for clarification and more detail about my notes above.

• jcnjr

@Vinod Dalvi

You know how I mentioned that expiration date for the test blog upgrade was the same day the payment was made even though I selected a monthly Plan? Well sure enough, that user just received this email...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
    Subject: Your Tripawds Supporter Blog Has Expired
    Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:59:48 +0000
    To: betaman@agreda.com

Hello,

Unfortunately the Supporter status for your site Testing Transitions (http://styx.tripawds.com) has lapsed.

To access Supporter features and remove ads from your site, you can renew your subscription here:
    http://tripawds.com/supporter/?bid=902

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us for help:
    http://tripawds.com/contact/

Thank you for your past support, we look forward to your help keeping Tripawds online again in the future.

- Jim, Rene & Wyatt (And Spirit Jerry)
    http://tripawds.com/

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @jcnjr,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I have not configured Pro Sites on our dev install, so have granted access on the live site at tripawds.com.

I was unable to replicate the exact issue encountered with the user I reported above. I did, however, attempt to upgrade a test user's blog and still notice a couple anomalies...

The transaction ID should be there.

To confirm whether it's the issue with the current Pro Sites plugin version could you please temporaqry try using older working version of Pro Sites plugin?

To install older version, delete the present one. then go to: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/
    Click on the changelog and then click on the version number to download it. You can choose any of previous version. This is link for recent version:https://premium.wpmudev.org/download/239216922_pro-sites-3.5.0.2.zip

You will find more information about installing older version of the plugin on the following page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/downloading-previous-versions-of-plugins-and-themes/

I could confirm that the user accounts that you have sent through email have Pro Sites status expired but i couldn't confirm the issue by reproducing it because you are using PayPal Express Gateway in live mode.

Is it possible for you to configure the same Pro Sites settings on your dev site with PayPal Express Gateway sandbox mode so that we can reproduce and troubleshoot the issue?

Also it seems you have made some custom changes in the Pro Sites plugin, is it right?

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• jcnjr

Also it seems you have made some custom changes in the Pro Sites plugin, is it right?

No, what makes you think this? The only thing I have ever done is add a link to the "Supporter" (Pro Site) widget since there is no option in the settings to do so.

I'll see about setting up Pro Sites with Sandbox mode on our dev install, and send contact w/ details if I get that done. Since we regularly receive IPNs and payments for ongoing subscriptions on the live site I am leery of rolling the plugin back.

Thanks!

• jcnjr

This just happened again! I need to get this resolved ASAP...there is clearly an issue with the extension of Pro Site status when users modify their automatic payment.

Another member with a Pro Site today modified their subscription. The expiration date was extended to the current date, instead of one month later as it should be (based on their selection and payment).

I now have members upset that they have paid (and upgraded) their payments, only to recieve an email saying their Support status has lapsed.

Please review the discrepancies in the attached screen shots. I have extended support status to the site again so somebody can help investigate...please!

http://tripawds.com

PS: Replicating the Pro Sites install on our dev server would be irrelevant because that would be a fresh install. The issue we are experiencing may be due to the fact that this was originally an install of the legacy Supporter plugin that has been upgraded over the years.

• jcnjr

UPDATE: This user with site id 3414 is apparently locked out from accessing her dashboard. This happened to the first user I reported when starting this topic. The only way to let the user use the site she paid for, I had to manually extend Supporter status. I need to do that for this user soon, but I'd rather not modify the site's status any further while we troubleshoot this.

Please advise ASAP.

Thank you!

• jcnjr

This issue has occurred twice. See my first post from when I started this topic for the first instance. Most recently, the second time was yesterday with another user. Both times the blog upgrade fails with the current date being assigned at the expiration date.

Yes, we only use the Paypal Express gateway. Please note that our site uses the legacy /wp-content/supporter-paypal.php gateway file from the plugin's "Backwards Compatibility" folder.

All current/existing Supporter sites (Pro Sites) are being successfully auto-renewed upon receipt of subscription payments. New Supporter blog upgrades fail, as I mentioned, because the current date of the upgrade gets assigned as the expiration date. So, user pays -> blog gets updated -> it is assigned current date as expiration -> Supporter status is removed -> user gets email saying their account has lapsed, even though they just paid! :-\

Thank you for your help getting this resolved!

PS: I asked this last user to explain specifically what they did when upgrading their site. Here is her reply...

I didn't change the PayPal account. Although after the transaction I did use the back button to see why I was charged $15 a month instead of $36 for 3 months. But I didnt push anything to change the automatic payment.

• jcnjr

UPDATE: This appears to be happening for ALL Pro Site upgrades. I just replicated the behavior as follows...

1. Logged in as existing user with no blog.
    2. Created free blog. (Support upgrade option/checkbox did not appear on signup page, like it used to in previous plugin versions and I no longer see the option in Settings.)
    3. Accessed new blog dashboard.
    4. Clicked "Supporter" button to view Pro Sites checkout page.
    5. Selected one month Level I Supporter.
    6. Completed payment at Paypal.
    7. Redirected to site which had notice stating "Initial mount Not Confirmed" (see first screenshot).
    8. Reloaded page, and it refreshed with notice saying "Subscription Cancelled" (see screenshot 2).
    9. No Supporter status extended to site. (Ads remain, no premium features unlocked, etc.)
    10. Check Paypal account history...subscription was created, first amount paid, and immediately cancelled. (see screenshot 3)
    11. Visited Pro Sites admin as SuperAdmin in separate browser...settings indicate current Support I status with today's expiration date! (see screenshot 4)

Could the lead Pro Sites plugin developer please be asked to investigate!? I will gladly refund any amount paid, if someone can test the process to see problem first hand. Or, please provide a Paypal account to which I can send $15 for testing three times.

Thanks again!

PS: I've included the last screenshot to show our current Pro Sites checkout settings.

• jcnjr

Also, in reviewing the Paypal notifications for this transaction...

We received notice that the Automatic Payment had changed BEFORE getting the New Automatic Payment Profile notification:

DATE: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:58:37 -0700
    Hello Tripawds / Agreda Communications,
    Just wanted to let you know there's been a change to your PayPal automatic payment from Agreda Communications.
    Here's the new profile information:
    Customer details
    Customer name: Agreda Communications
    Customer email: <address removed>
    Profile ID: I-V6CBWAYR5D0Y
    Profile status: Pending
    For: Tripawds Supporter: $5.00 USD each month
    Merchant reference ID#: site3_3415_1_1_0_USD_1437497916_ (Changed)

And then...

DATE: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:59:27 -0700
    Hello Tripawds / Agreda Communications,
    A new automatic payment profile for Agreda Communications has been created. Here's the automatic payment profile information:
    Customer name: Agreda Communications
    Customer email: <address removed>
    Automatic payment ID: I-V6CBWAYR5D0Y
    For: Tripawds Supporter: $5.00 USD each month
    Invoice number: site3_3415_1_1_0_USD_1437497916_

What is changing these transactions? And Why? And how can I get this fixed AASAP?

• Ash

Hello @jcnjr

I am tagging an available developer from second level support line in this thread for his valuable opinion on this issue. Please note that, developer response might be slower than usual staff response, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Would you please send me your admin login and FTP login to me? (Please take a backup of entire network before sending me).

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question
    Subject: Attn-Ash (this ensures that it will be assigned to me)
    Details:
    1. Send all requested details
    2. Send a link of this thread so that I can track
    3. Send any other relevant link

Cheers
    Ash

• jcnjr

Hi @Ashok

Has anybody had a chance to look into this further?
    Any word from the developers?

There is clearly an issue with current date being applied as the expiration. I need to get this resolved ASAP.

We just had another user upgrade their blog on 07/29. See this screenshot and look at the expiration date sent to 07/30...I'm now just waiting to for this user to get the same email the last two did and ask why their Pro Site (Supporter) status has been revoked after they just paid!

Somebody. @Aaron ? Anyone? Please... What else can I possibly provide to help troubleshoot and get this resolved?

PS: I have just granted Support Access to Tripawds network admin again. Thanks in advance for helping!

• jcnjr

So...just as I expected!

This Pro Site upgrade failed, and the user is rather upset that she just paid and her Supporter blog expired the same day. This makes four times, and it is clearly happening every time.

I NEED help getting this resolved ASAP. Please!

What else can I so to troubleshoot this? What else do you need from me to troubleshoot this?

FYI: IPNs are working fine for renewals but all new upgrades or subscription modifications fail. We are using the IPN forwarder @Aaron wrote (which has been working fine), so I'm hoping he may be able to chime in.

THANK YOU!

• jcnjr

@Ashok
    @Vinod Dalvi
    @Aaron
    @James Farmer
    @Anyone?

Could somebody please advise who I might contact (or hire) to help get this issue resolved?

Our Supporter (Pro Sites) platform is no longer working.

As mentioned previously, every site upgrade fails with the current first payment date being applied as the expiration date.

What other information can I provide to assist in troubleshooting?

Thank you!

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @jcnjr,

Thank you for sending the site details and extremely sorry for the delay here.

This seems a complex issue so we have notified directly the plugin developers @Umesh Kumar and @Rheinard to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

The developers were busy in other responsibilities so this took longer than a normal ticket but now we have notified them that this ticket has high priority and they will troubleshoot and reply here soon ASAP.

I have tested and found that the site details you have sent are working fine so don't change it as the developers will need it to troubleshoot the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks,
    Vinod Dalvi

• jcnjr

So...I just updated to the newest version (3.5.1) and this issue is still occurring.
    I just tested by upgrading a site with a monthly subscription and it is set to expire tomorrow.
    See screen shots, same exact issue as the others.
    Expiration is being set at one day instead of one month.

I understand @Umesh Kumar has been having difficulties accessing our server which we can not replicate. I sent an contact/email earlier day with a possible reason why and request for additional info.

@Vinod Dalvi @Ashok Can anyone else please assist? If Umesh cannot access the site for debugging, I need to help him or someone else do so by uploading/viewing/downloading any necessary files. Whatever it takes!

Our Supporter platform is no longer working and I need help fixing it ASAP.
    Please.

Thank you.

• jcnjr

FYI: I just emailed the following to @Umesh Kumar after the recent change he applied to the plugin failed to resolve the issue. Assuming it may be related to the IPN Forwarder script we use, I'm hoping @Aaron can provide feedback... Anyone else???

On 8/15/15 2:45 AM, WPMU DEV - Contact wrote:
    > Have you setup the IPN url in Paypal settings?

Umesh,

Regarding the IPN Forwarder we are using, I don't believe it is causing the problem.

I have confirmed that we have the correct notificaltion URL configured:

Snippet from IPN Forwarder script:
    /* Site 3 Tripawds.com */
    array('prefix' => 'site3',
    'domain' => 'tripawds.com',
    'path' => '/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn',
    'live' => true),

Pro Sites IPN Notification URL from Plugin:
    http://tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

Please discuss with Aaron if you believe this may be causing the issue we are experiencing. As I mentioned previously, the current purchase date is still being assigned as the expiration date for a Pro Site after you mentioned that you edited our Pro Sites plugin with a fix. The plugin is functioning fine in regard to extending Pro Sites upon recurring payment receipt, but fails upon creation/upgrade of a Pro Site or modification of a payment by the user.

Let me know what else I can do to help get this resolved soon.

Thank you!

-Jim

Could the Forward be causing just enough delay to cause the incorrect expiration date issue?

I really need to get this fixed ASAP. Thank you!

• jcnjr

Thank you for your continued help @Umesh Kumar

I have just emailed answers to your questions and our IPN Forwarder logs. The Forwarder has been working fine for years, and it continues to function well sending recurring payment info which extends Pro Site priviliges. The plugin is only failing upon new blog creation or Pro Site upgrade. Symptoms include assigning the current date as the expiration date and no associated transaction ID for the related IPN messages. IPN messages are not failing. See attached screenshots for further examples.

If you believe the the IPN Forwarder may be cause for some reason, all of a sudden, please discuss this with @Aaron who wrote the script.

We must use the Forwarder because we have multiple sites using the same Paypal account. Changing the Notification URL in our Paypal account is not an option at this time.

@Vinod Dalvi ? @Ashok ? @James Farmer ? Are there any other developers who may be able to help @Umesh Kumar and @Aaron get to the bottom of this?

Thank you!

PS: We are migrating all our domains to a new server this week. Having started this topic a month ago, I had hoped for it to be resolved by now. But I will provide new server access details if necessary as soon as the migration is complete.

• jcnjr

Greetings,

I noticed @Hoang Ngo apparently created a test site on our dev install. I also see that the Pro Sites plugin has a couple new updates over the past few days—v.3.5.1.2 notes include:

Fixed: Paypal: Issue with new subscriptions

I wonder if this also addresses the new subscription expiration date issue with the legacy supporter_paypal gateway @Umesh Kumar has been working on...just not sure if I should upgrade Pro Sites on either of our sites (.com or .net), or if the .net site might be running a custom version in the works.

Thanks in advance for any update on this!

• jcnjr

did this help with your issue...

Thanks for asking @Kasia Swiderska
    I did update tripawds.com to address the missing Premium Plugins and Themes admin menu items.

I have not bothered with any live testing there, since a file comparison reveals there have apparently been no changes made to the legacy supporer-paypal.php gateway we're using.

I have not updated tripawds.net since I do not know if the plugin running there is a modified version in the works, or not. Hoping to hear from @Umesh Kumar @Hoang Ngo @Vinod Dalvi @Ashok or anyone else who may be able to advise regarding that soon...

• jcnjr

@Umesh Kumar @Hoang Ngo @Vinod Dalvi @Ashok
    Could I please get an update on the status of your troubleshooting and testing a fix for this issue? I have not updated Pro Sites on our dev install since I don't know if you have a plugin version in the works there.

I did upgrade Pro Sites on our live site, to address the missing admin links. Then we received a new Supporter blog upgrade. Please see the results below as the process is clearly still broken, but this one is different.

The subscription was created, and we do not have previous issue of the same date being applied as the expiration. The IPN was received, but this time there is no expiration, and no subscription details. In fact, the Supporter (Pro Site) level is not even applied! So now I have a new member paying, whose site has not been upgraded.

See screenshot and IPN info from Paypal below...you will notice in the Paypal screenshot, there is no Transaction ID for the the two Pro Sites IPN messages shown. One message was for an auto-recurring subscription renewal. The other is the new Supporter blog, for which I have provided the entire IPN Message, indicating successful IPN delivery, but no Transaction ID.

Please advise regarding what I can do to get this resolved ASAP. Our Supporter platform no longer works. We are losing revenue and new bloggers continue to complain about the problems when upgrading. Thank You!

IPN History (IPN Message):
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Message ID: 4JJ127629W073570F

Date/time created: 9/2/2015 18:42 PDT

Original/Resent: Original

Latest delivery attempt date/time: 9/2/2015 18:42 PDT

Notification URL: http://agreda.com/ipn/ipn-forwarder.php

HTTP response code: 200

Delivery status: Sent

No. of retries: 0

Transaction ID:

IPN type: Recurring payment profile

IPN Message:
    payment_cycle=every 12 Months&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_created&last_name=Ritzmann-Seunnapha&next_payment_date=03:00:00 Sep 03, 2016 PDT&residence_country=CA&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_3465_2_12_49_USD_1441244543_&currency_code=USD&time_created=18:42:21 Sep 02, 2015 PDT&verify_sign=A0aN4.7gGeas2Ado-ii.UgEv7lcNAfwwnW16yEngOs33CbSSAop05hHg&period_type= Regular&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=notthatblonde@hotmail.com&first_name=Anita&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&payer_id=AAG3UNK7FH9GC&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=49.00&profile_status=Active&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&amount=49.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-MBAXFLCU4CXB&product_name=Tripawds Supporter II: $49.00 USD every 12 months&ipn_track_id=8d060345bcd98

IPN Forwarder Log Entry:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

[2015-09-03 01:42:46] Successfuly sent to tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn: payment_cycle=every+12+Months&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_created&last_name=Ritzmann-Seunnapha&next_payment_date=03%3A00%3A00+Sep+03%2C+2016+PDT&residence_country=CA&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_3465_2_12_49_USD_1441244543_&currency_code=USD&time_created=18%3A42%3A21+Sep+02%2C+2015+PDT&verify_sign=A0aN4.7gGeas2Ado-ii.UgEv7lcNAfwwnW16yEngOs33CbSSAop05hHg&period_type=+Regular&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=notthatblonde%40hotmail.com&first_name=Anita&receiver_email=jcnjr%40agreda.com&payer_id=AAG3UNK7FH9GC&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=49.00&profile_status=Active&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&amount=49.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-MBAXFLCU4CXB&product_name=Tripawds+Supporter+II%3A+%2449.00+USD+every+12+months&ipn_track_id=8d060345bcd98

• jcnjr

@Umesh Kumar @Hoang Ngo @Ashok @Kasia Swiderska

Could I please get an update on the status of this issue? I started this support thread on June 21, 2015 and desperately need to get this problem resolved ASAP. Is there anything else I can do or provide to help troubleshoot, test, or fix this?

Our Supporter platform is broken, and we continue to lose (and refund) subscribers whose blogs do not get upgraded when they pay.

The last thing I know is that Umesh was looking further into the issue, and Hoang had created a site for testing on our dev install. Can anyone else help? What can we do to get this working again?

THANK YOU!

• jcnjr

Please. I need help.

This is getting terribly embarrassing and seriously affecting our income!

We received another Supporter upgrade this morning, but the Pro Site status was not extended, and the blogger is upset. Ads are not being auto-removed as we promise (like they should be), and premium plugins, quota etc. are not being extended.

As you can see from the details and screenshots below, IPNs are working. But there is still no transaction ID being assigned. What else do you need from met to help get this working? Are there ANY developers willing and able to help me if I post this on the job board? If so, who should I attempt to contact? @Umesh Kumar @Hoang Ngo @Ashok @Kasia Swiderska @Vinod Dalvi @Aaron @James Farmer

I've included screenshots and IPN messages for two Pro Sites transactions from this morning. You will notice both are missing transaction IDs. The first is for the failed upgrade. The second is for a payment failure which includes an incorrect IPN handler URL. The latter seems similar to an IPN issue we had with Fundraising that I had to fix by hard-coding in the old listener URL. @Ignacio helped us with that.

Please advise. I desperately need to find a resolution for this soon. Thank you!

IPN MESSAGE FOR FAILED PRO SITE UPGRADE:
    Message ID: 0DE33553W28524342

Date/time created: 9/11/2015 05:44 PDT

Latest delivery attempt date/time: 9/11/2015 05:44 PDT

Transaction ID:

IPN type: Recurring payment profile

IPN Message:
    payment_cycle=Monthly&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_created&last_name=Carey&next_payment_date=03:00:00 Oct 11, 2015 PDT&residence_country=US&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_3473_2_1_7_USD_1441975441_&currency_code=USD&time_created=05:44:01 Sep 11, 2015 PDT&verify_sign=A-sRxIZnDFS5IUcnnKE-imzXoBMZAyT-EUqDRl-O7zQVm02PYgq6CDuJ&period_type= Regular&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=dcarey@janus.jnj.com&first_name=Deborah&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&payer_id=2AYLVLFUNPL8Q&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=7.00&profile_status=Active&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&amount=7.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-9LM6ANEHTG6E&product_name=Tripawds Supporter II: $7.00 USD each month&ipn_track_id=c26a5b172e2f2

IPN FORWARDER LOG ENTRY FOR FAILED UPGRADE:
    [2015-09-11 12:44:24] Successfuly sent to tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn: payment_cycle=Monthly&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_created&last_name=Carey&next_payment_date=03%3A00%3A00+Oct+11%2C+2015+PDT&residence_country=US&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_3473_2_1_7_USD_1441975441_&currency_code=USD&time_created=05%3A44%3A01+Sep+11%2C+2015+PDT&verify_sign=A-sRxIZnDFS5IUcnnKE-imzXoBMZAyT-EUqDRl-O7zQVm02PYgq6CDuJ&period_type=+Regular&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=dcarey%40janus.jnj.com&first_name=Deborah&receiver_email=jcnjr%40agreda.com&payer_id=2AYLVLFUNPL8Q&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=7.00&profile_status=Active&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&amount=7.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-9LM6ANEHTG6E&product_name=Tripawds+Supporter+II%3A+%247.00+USD+each+month&ipn_track_id=c26a5b172e2f2

IPN MESSAGE FOR FAILED PAYMENT
    Message ID: 16J35891T6540964X

Date/time created: 9/11/2015 03:43 PDT

Latest delivery attempt date/time: 9/11/2015 03:43 PDT

Notification URL: http://doggie.tripawds.com/supporter-paypal.php

HTTP response code?: 200

Transaction ID:

IPN type: Subscription payment failed

IPN Message:
    txn_type=subscr_failed&subscr_id=S-4T560737HA457351K&last_name=Geller&residence_country=US&item_name=Tripawds Supporter&payment_gross=25.00&mc_currency=USD&business=jcnjr@agreda.com&verify_sign=Af678.glUn.wyNBU3tHJj7jWT6ShAmJL48QtkNa5uFtUQAXiw-3WOJHE&payer_status=verified&payer_email=r.geller@comcast.net&first_name=Robert&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&payer_id=68HKBC225Y5FA&retry_at=03:42:52 Sep 14, 2015 PDT&item_number=12&mc_gross=25.00&custom=707_12_25.00_USD_1315790065&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&ipn_track_id=750f62ed7c323

• jcnjr

FYI...In hopes that it may shed some light on what's going on, I'm providing below the IPN details for a a recurring payment that was received successfully. You will see that this does have a transation ID associated with it, and the Admin screenshot shows that the Pro Sites plugin updated all details and extended the expiration date as it should. This blog was originally updated in 09/2013.

So, recurring payments on existing Pro Sites work. All new blog upgrades still fail.

Does this info help? What else can I do to help get this resolved ASAP?

IPN MESSAGE FOR SUCCESSFUL RECURRING PAYMENT
    Instant Payment Notification (IPN) details

Message ID: 2X671136W3425073G

Date/time created: 9/12/2015 04:20 PDT

Latest delivery attempt date/time: 9/12/2015 04:20 PDT

Transaction ID: 19883179Y72607245

IPN type: Transaction made

IPN Message:
    mc_gross=49.00&period_type= Regular&outstanding_balance=0.00&next_payment_date=03:00:00 Sep 12, 2016 PDT&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&payment_cycle=every 12 Months&tax=0.00&payer_id=MZFD4QQ9JHNZQ&payment_date=04:20:16 Sep 12, 2015 PDT&payment_status=Completed&product_name=Tripawds Supporter II: $49.00 USD every 12 months&charset=windows-1252&rp_invoice_id=site3_2871_2_12_49_USD_1379006940&recurring_payment_id=I-LYVC9V3KV92B&first_name=Kelly&mc_fee=1.53&notify_version=3.8&amount_per_cycle=49.00&payer_status=verified&currency_code=USD&business=jcnjr@agreda.com&verify_sign=A7HFMP-S4.S7cJ07GBkosj89PvpyATdOfOTlVZ8EvHwAPif62RK36rdV&payer_email=kulony13@aol.com&initial_payment_amount=0.00&profile_status=Active&amount=49.00&txn_id=19883179Y72607245&payment_type=instant&last_name=Blackwood&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&payment_fee=1.53&receiver_id=YYC8CW7FKU5SY&txn_type=recurring_payment&mc_currency=USD&residence_country=US&transaction_subject=Tripawds Supporter II: $49.00 USD every 12 months&payment_gross=49.00&shipping=0.00&product_type=1&time_created=10:29:01 Sep 12, 2013 PDT&ipn_track_id=dd9afb3894412

RELATED IPN FORWARDER LOG ENTRY
    [2015-09-12 11:20:37] Successfuly sent to tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn: mc_gross=49.00&period_type=+Regular&outstanding_balance=0.00&next_payment_date=03%3A00%3A00+Sep+12%2C+2016+PDT&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&payment_cycle=every+12+Months&tax=0.00&payer_id=MZFD4QQ9JHNZQ&payment_date=04%3A20%3A16+Sep+12%2C+2015+PDT&payment_status=Completed&product_name=Tripawds+Supporter+II%3A+%2449.00+USD+every+12+months&charset=windows-1252&rp_invoice_id=site3_2871_2_12_49_USD_1379006940&recurring_payment_id=I-LYVC9V3KV92B&first_name=Kelly&mc_fee=1.53&notify_version=3.8&amount_per_cycle=49.00&payer_status=verified&currency_code=USD&business=jcnjr%40agreda.com&verify_sign=A7HFMP-S4.S7cJ07GBkosj89PvpyATdOfOTlVZ8EvHwAPif62RK36rdV&payer_email=kulony13%40aol.com&initial_payment_amount=0.00&profile_status=Active&amount=49.00&txn_id=19883179Y72607245&payment_type=instant&last_name=Blackwood&receiver_email=jcnjr%40agreda.com&payment_fee=1.53&receiver_id=YYC8CW7FKU5SY&txn_type=recurring_payment&mc_currency=USD&residence_country=US&transaction_subject=Tripawds+Supporter+II%3A+%2449.00+USD+every+12+months&payment_gross=49.00&shipping=0.00&product_type=1&time_created=10%3A29%3A01+Sep+12%2C+2013+PDT&ipn_track_id=dd9afb3894412

• Hoang Ngo

Hi @jcnjr,

I hope you are well today and I do sorry for the delay :slight_frown:.

The create_recurring_profile action of the IPN won't have any transaction ID, as this is not a transaction. Instead, you will have recurring_payment_id.

Also, can you please check your IPN history, to see if we have any IPN having the txn_type=express_checkout?

For the PayPal Express, the flow will be like this
    1. User register on your site, when they done, it will create a recurring profile of the customer, this is where you see an IPN without transaction ID.
    2. If everything fine, then you will see an IPN with the txn_type=express_checkhout, and this IPN will be required to extend the blog.

So for now, can you please check for the 2nd IPN? I also flag @Umesh Kumar here if he has any news.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience, and many thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
    Hoang

• jcnjr

The create_recurring_profile action of the IPN won't have any transaction ID

Thank you for the clarification @Hoang Ngo - Paypal informed that all transactions in my history should have an ID <sigh>. They said I should contact my web developer to troubleshoot the problem! So, that is good to know.

Also, can you please check your IPN history, to see if we have any IPN having the txn_type=express_checkout?

Yes, below is the most recent example from our IPN History. It is for the latest Pro Sites blog upgrade that fails. As you can see, the IPN failed with 401. And, it is showing the wrong IPN Notification URL. (We have the IPN Forwarder URL assigned in our Paypal account, which succeeds with 200 response for all other transactions.)

I have also included the related recurring_payment_profile_created IPN message, which was sent successfully. Hopefully this information will help you identify the problem. Please consult with @Aaron if you believe the IPN Forwarder he wrote may be causing problems, or to see if he has an update for that, or any valuable input.

PRO SITES EXPRESS CHECKOUT IPN (FAILED)
    Message ID
    3RU30035S8244884G

Date/time created
    9/11/2015 05:44 PDT

Original/Resent
    Original

Latest delivery attempt date/time
    9/14/2015 03:15 PDT

Notification URL
    http://tripawds.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

HTTP response codeWhat's this?

Delivery status
    Retrying

No. of retries

Transaction ID
    9VR2818560367031B

IPN type
    Transaction made

IPN Message
    transaction_subject=Tripawds Supporter II: $7.00 USD each month&payment_date=05:43:59 Sep 11, 2015 PDT&txn_type=express_checkout&last_name=Carey&residence_country=US&item_name=Tripawds Supporter II: $7.00 USD each month&payment_gross=7.00&mc_currency=USD&payment_type=instant&protection_eligibility=Ineligible&verify_sign=A.jqhp1bYQ8inYAzdRgpTYDW56YpAPrUEpoogVvEmRkeOHPDy3zVyPQT&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=dcarey@janus.jnj.com&txn_id=9VR2818560367031B&quantity=1&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&first_name=Deborah&payer_id=2AYLVLFUNPL8Q&receiver_id=YYC8CW7FKU5SY&contact_phone=609-818-1744&item_number=&handling_amount=0.00&payment_status=Completed&payment_fee=0.48&mc_fee=0.48&shipping=0.00&mc_gross=7.00&custom=site3_3473_2_1_7_USD_1441975438_&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&ipn_track_id=c021cdaa57b06

PRO SITES RECURRING PROFILE CREATED
    Message ID
    0DE33553W28524342

Date/time created

Original/Resent
    Original

Latest delivery attempt date/time

Notification URL
    http://agreda.com/ipn/ipn-forwarder.php

HTTP response codeWhat's this?

Delivery status
    Sent

No. of retries

Transaction ID

IPN type
    Recurring payment profile

IPN Message
    payment_cycle=Monthly&txn_type=recurring_payment_profile_created&last_name=Carey&next_payment_date=03:00:00 Oct 11, 2015 PDT&residence_country=US&initial_payment_amount=0.00&rp_invoice_id=site3_3473_2_1_7_USD_1441975441_&currency_code=USD&time_created=05:44:01 Sep 11, 2015 PDT&verify_sign=A-sRxIZnDFS5IUcnnKE-imzXoBMZAyT-EUqDRl-O7zQVm02PYgq6CDuJ&period_type= Regular&payer_status=verified&tax=0.00&payer_email=dcarey@janus.jnj.com&first_name=Deborah&receiver_email=jcnjr@agreda.com&payer_id=2AYLVLFUNPL8Q&product_type=1&shipping=0.00&amount_per_cycle=7.00&profile_status=Active&charset=windows-1252&notify_version=3.8&amount=7.00&outstanding_balance=0.00&recurring_payment_id=I-9LM6ANEHTG6E&product_name=Tripawds Supporter II: $7.00 USD each month&ipn_track_id=c26a5b172e2f2

• jcnjr

@Umesh Kumar

FYI: I noticed the 503 error for the IPN in our mod_sec logs and whitelisted the rule, but the same issue occurred again when attempting to upgrade another new site. The PayPal IPN for the new transaction still shows a 503, but there is no such error occurring in our sever or mod_sec logs anymore.

So...I found a related support topic and tried to add the IPN debug code @Aaron suggested here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/paypal-ipn-issue#post-308225

Aaron said:
    You can put some debug code in there, right before the header() 503 call:
    trigger_error("PayPal IPN Debug: ".var_export($response, true), E_USER_WARNING);

I tried adding that to gateway-paypal-express-pro.php where Aaron suggested but couldn't get that to work. The blog creation process would just fail after my hacks. Perhaps I edited the wrong file or did it incorrectly, so I have removed the edit.

If there is a way to debug this further, please advise.

• jcnjr

Thank you for the help Umesh!

I will mark this topic resolved as soon as we get another successful live Pro Sites upgrade, or I test it a couple times more.

@Umesh Kumar said:
    The 401 and wrong IPN url might get us to the right track, I've made a small fix to the gateway file in your setup. If that works out, I'll include a fix in the plugin and go ahead with the release.

Please be sure to include this in the next release (since it is working in the edited plugin version running on our site) and pass along information about this gateway code edit you made to @Jose .

I think it may help resolve the issue we had with IPNs failing for the Fundraising plugin on another site. I had to get that working by hard-coding in our IPN Notification URL in the plugin. (FYI: Different Paypal account, no Forwarder.) And I believe you mentioned in an email the IPN Notify URL being overwritten by the Pro Sites plugin.

Thanks again!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.