Blog vs CMS

This is a topic that I've brought up regarding specific plugins in the past, and I was about to comment on the new "Easy Blogging" beta, but decided instead to post a general comment/feature request regarding all WPMU Dev plugins. I'll also preface this by saying that it seems like you guys are already heading in this direction, so this request is more of a "you're doing good, keep it up" than a "please do this." That said…

My biggest problem with Wordpress in general is that it's a fairly "purpose-agnostic" content management system that's been dressed heavily as a blogging platform. What I mean is that most of the underlying decisions that have been made in the past number of years have focused on Wordpress as a CMS, but the UI is still tied to Wordpress's legacy as blogging software. In the underlying code, there's no preference given to "posts" over "pages" or any other custom taxonomy you create, but in the UI and labeling, everything is designed and written from the perspective of a blogger.

A lot of WPMU Dev plugins suffered from this same limitation as well. I'm glad to see that "Pro Blogs" is changing to "Pro Sites" and hopefully a future release of the Avatars plugin will switch from "Blog Avatar" to "Site Avatar" (per my suggestion). I've noticed suggestions like this pop up for a number of plugins, and I'm blown away by how responsive you guys have been to them (thanks!). But because you guys have a strong background in blogging, that mentality can't help but creep in.

So this "feature request" is just a reminder to be aware of the fact that a number of your customers don't do "blogs" — so when you're creating plugin UI, labeling fields, writing help and tooltips, etc, try to stick to language that doesn't limit the scope of your plugins.

Thanks so much for all you guys do. I don't mean to be preachy, and like I said, it seems like this is already something you're focusing on. So, yay! Keep up the good work.