Blogger Site Exclusivity

If a blogger purchases bloggin rights on a sub-domain site, is it possible for another blogger to purchase rights on the same sub-domain, or is the blogger who purchased first given exclusivity?

And, if a blogger should be terminated, will different bloggers have the ability to register on that sub-domain and purchase blogging rights to it?

(Note: I have a limited number of sub-domain names the bloggers will be allowed to chosse from.)

• NYCWW

@Kirk - If I understand you correctly, you plan to sell sites on a multisite network but have chosen to limit the available site names to a predefined list (e.g., cars.yourdomain.com, apartments.yourdomain.com, lawyers.yourdomain.com, etc.).

These names are exclusive.

If a blogger is terminated and you want to make that site available for sale again, all you have to do is delete the site and recreate it.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

If a blogger purchases bloggin rights on a sub-domain site, is it possible for another blogger to purchase rights on the same sub-domain, or is the blogger who purchased first given exclusivity?

No it isn't possible.

In WordPress Multisite when they create a site, they become the admin of that site. No one else can be an admin unless another admin or network admin does that manually.

In giving multiple people admin access they could remove reach other, deactivate plugins, themes and delete each others content.

A way around that would be to create all the zips yourself and then install our Membership plugin on sites. You would then use advanced rules so when they signup and pay they get a new role within that site.

This role could be a contributor one, where they can submit content but it requires admin approval first.

It would mean they don't get access to themes and plugins, you manage all that and all they can do is submit content.

Its just another option.

And, if a blogger should be terminated, will different bloggers have the ability to register on that sub-domain and purchase blogging rights to it?

Not with WordPress or Pro Sites unless you specifically delete the plugin.

Take care.

• NYCWW

@Timothy, just to clarify your response to the second question... Kirk is asking if he can reuse a subdomain. The answer is yes with respect to WordPress and I believe the answer is yes with respect to Prosites as well.

For example, if I create a site called demo.mydomain.com and use it for a year, I could delete it and create another site called demo.mydomain.com. There is nothing inherent to WordPress that would prevent me from doing this. To my knowledge, there is nothing inherent in Prosites that woiuld prevent me from doing this either.

• Kirk Ward

What I meant was, if the blogger fails to pay their ProSites subscription for http://90210.mysite.com, and their site is deleted, and then recreated as a new site with the same name, http://90210.mysite.comm with a default theme and default content, would another blogger then be able to register on that site and receive pay-to-blog admin rights?

Would I have to delete the plugin and thus remove access to all users?

• Kirk Ward

For example, if I create a site called demo.mydomain.com and use it for a year, I could delete it and create another site called demo.mydomain.com. There is nothing inherent to WordPress that would prevent me from doing this. To my knowledge, there is nothing inherent in Prosites that woiuld prevent me from doing this either.

I believe that matches with what I am asking.

It also occurs to me that if a blogger has http://90210.mysite.comm/ and they fail to pay, and the site is deleted, I don't know what happens to the admin rights. Will I also have to delete the user, or will the admin rights on that site be released when it is deleted?

• Timothy Bowers

@nycwebworks

I see the problem, sorry I was handling multiple threads and made a typo.

This:

Should read:

Not with WordPress or Pro Sites unless you specifically delete the site.

If it were not deleted and you gave someone else access you could have some potential data protection legalities.

but I'm curious to here from Tim as to whether or not he believes that Prosites would prevent you from reusing a subdomain/site you previously deleted.

Anyway:

To which I responded:

In WordPress Multisite when they create a site, they become the admin of that site. No one else can be an admin unless another admin or network admin does that manually.

In giving multiple people admin access they could remove reach other, deactivate plugins, themes and delete each others content.

This presumes the site is not deleted, because Pro Sites doesn't delete the site and there was no mention of manually deleting it in the original post.

So without deleting it, someone else can't create it in WordPress.

It also occurs to me that if a blogger has http://90210.mysite.comm/ and they fail to pay, and the site is deleted, I don't know what happens to the admin rights. Will I also have to delete the user, or will the admin rights on that site be released when it is deleted?

Paid To Blog in Pro Sites only disables the blog until payment is made, it won't delete it.

Deleting the blog as mentioned previously can free it up.

Sorry for the confusion my original post.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.