Blogging on root blog

Hiya,

I've had multi-site working great for a while now. The user can create multiple sub-domains on multiple domains. However, my engineer claims that the functionality of multi-site only allows users to blog on sub-domains, but not domains.

For example,
sub1.domain1.com
sub2.domain2.com
sub3.domain3.com
all these sorts of domains are fine for blogging.

But when we try to land on:
domain1.com
domain2.com
domain3.com
we can't blog on these domain, and instead get automatically redirected to the multi-site primary install domain.

What are we missing?

Thanks,

Alberti

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hello Alberti,

Are you trying to allow users to create sub-folder blogs on those main domains as well as sub-domain blogs? If so, I'm not sure this can be done.

If instead you're just trying to allow for creating blogs on those domain roots, then you I believe you'll want to use our Domain Mapping plugin.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

Hope that helps! Please let me know if that does not resolve things and I'll re-open the support ticket!

Cheers,
    David

• alberti
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

David, thanks, let me clarify.

I'm trying to allow users to blog on the domain roots... not create additional domains from the roots. That means, no special sub-directory, no special name. If the name is domain1.com, they can log in to domain1.com, and blog on domain1.com. Same for the other domain roots. Each domain root should be a blog, just like each sub-domain is a blog.

I'm puzzled why the users can blog on sub1.domain1.com, but not domain1.com. Are you saying that multi-site by default excludes access to all root domains in its network?

Are you saying I need the domain mapping plugin just for this?

Thanks.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya alberti,

The domain mapping plugin DavidM refers to above would be exactly what you're looking for. By default, WordPress Multisite installs all new user sites either as sub-domains or sub-directories.

The additional functionality of the domain mapping plugin allows you to map sites to their own top-level domains. Take a look at the link DavidM mentions and let us know if you have trouble.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.