Blogs loading slow

Hi Guys,

Could anyone guide me in the right direction I have a wordpress mu site but the blogs are taking about 30 seconds to load.

I have disabled all plugins and it is still the same I have seen a suggestion somewhere to enable zlib and enter a piece of code in the header but still the same.

Anyone have any suggestions of what may be happening I have also optimised database in myphpadmin
but still the same.

I have noticed that once i have opened the blog once and open it again it is faster but for people opening it for the first time it is very slow!

Regards

Mal

• drmike

A link to your site would be helpful.

Do you have any data caching in place?

What's your server setup? Shared hosting?

How much traffic are you seeing?

I added the slow tag to this threads so you can see previous threads on this topic.

edit: Dang, that wasn;t the tag I was thinking of. How about a search link:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Apremium.wpmudev.org%2Fforums%2F+slow

• malcan

Hi drmike,

Thanks for getting back the link to my site is http://xclusivechauffeurs.com and if you go to the links on the bottom of the left hand sidebar

I did have wp super cache but it comes up with cannot enable!

I have enabled wp minify but now I keep getting this message

Tooltip Script Error Message:

wz_tooltip.js must be included INSIDE the body section, immediately after the opening <body> tag.

I checked and the code and it is just after the body tag as it suggests.

The traffic is pretty low at the moment

regards

Mal

• drmike

I;m looking at the code right now and it's in the head:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://xclusivechauffeurs.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-minify/min/?f=wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/javascript/tabs.js,wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/jquery/jquery.js,wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/autocomplete/dimensions.js,wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/autocomplete/autocomplete.js,wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js,wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/ibox/ibox.js,wp-content/themes/Chauffeurs/js/paidListing.js,wz_tooltip/wz_tooltip.js,wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/jquery.form.js,wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/scripts.js&m=1289569615'></script>

Anyway, you have some serious problems with this site concerning validation. Most of your tags are broken as they're split between two lines. Not sure how that occurred but you need to fix them. I can;t even link to the validator as it comes back with a "Too many errors to list" error.

Fox example:

<meta
    name="googlebot" content="index,noarchive,follow,noodp" />

That needs to be on one line. There's hundreds of these throughout your code.

My guess is that browsers are having problems getting understanding the page because of those line breaks.

I don;t see a section labeled Links. Please give specifics.

• cshrimpt

Also, if you use Firefox as a browser, you can add the Firebug and YSlow plugins to help you optimize page design. Also, it would be good to know if you are on a shared host or a vps. Since you are running mu, my guess is you have a vps as most hosting providers will not let anyone run mu on a shared machine.

If you have a vps and you are running LAMP+Wordpress, you will need at least a GB of RAM to avoid swapping, especially if it's configured for FastCGI (mod_fcgid). Swapping will absolutely kill performance. Also, if FastCGI is incorrectly configured, it will eat RAM like rabbits eat lettuce. If the performance issue is Apache related, there are a few tricks you can employ to "spruce up" your server. If you are on a shared host, you are out of luck with tweaking the web server.

IMO the default kernel memory management for Linux is just plain wrong. I have added the following tweaks to my system to control the beast:

Added Xcache 1.3.1
    Converted from mod_php to mod_fcgid
    Implemented suexec
    Added the following to /etc/sysctl.conf to keep the kernel from blindly handing out RAM without checking:
    vm.overcommit_memory = 2
    vm.overcommit_ratio = 80
    Run the following cron every 12 hours to flush the cache:
    sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
    You can lower the swappiness a bit from 60 to say, 40. Some say go to 10, but I'm not sure about that.
    vm.swappiness=40

Cheers,

Craig

• malcan

Hi cshrimpt,

Thanks for getting back yes all the listings are loading very slow about 30secs I am going through a few wc3 valadation errors that drmike picked up on and have loaded a few cache plugins at the moment trying w3 total cache see test below:

Compatibility Test
    Server Modules & Resources:
    PHP Version: 5.2.11
    PHP Timezone: Not set
    Web Server: Apache
    FTP functions: OK (required for Self-hosted (FTP) CDN support)
    Multibyte String support: OK (required for Rackspace Cloud Files support)
    cURL extension: OK (required for Amazon S3 support)
    zlib extension: OK (required for compression support)
    Opcode cache: Not installed
    Memcache extension: Not installed
    Mime type detection: Not installed

Hash function: hash (required for NetDNA purge support)
    Safe mode: Off
    Open basedir: Off
    zlib output compression: Off
    mod_mime: Not detected
    mod_expires: Not detected
    mod_deflate / mod_gzip: Not detected
    mod_headers: Not detected
    mod_env: Not detected
    mod_setenvif: Not detected
    mod_rewrite: Not detected

I have a dedicated server so is there anything I can ask the support to add to improve speed.

Mal