Blogs Mu and Safari 4.1.3 - adminbar area white when logged out

Hi there

I have just upgraded to Blogs MU 1.1.2 from 1.1. When using Safari 4.1.3 I experience a white space in the adminbar area when logged out (no sliding effect). I had this same occurrence initially with the Blogs MU 1.0 version in all browsers, which was fixed with the upgrade to 1.1. Now after a further upgrade to 1.1.2 it still works fine with mozilla browsers (ff and camino), but not with safari anymore. I am a bit restricted to Mac OSX 10.4.11 at present and have no ability to test with other browsers (IE, Chrome).

Can anybody have a look into this please and suggest a fix. thanks a lot.

• Michel Mosca
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

heya drmike - nice new friendly avatar!

thanks for your reply - yes, server logs - they helped.

error logs showed following files missing:

blogs-mu/_inc/css/custom.css
    blogs-mu/_inc/css/none
    blogs-mu/_inc/images/nav-arrow.png
    blogs-mu/_inc/images/navs.png

I have added a line to import the reset.css into blogs-mu/style.css
    and I have renamed custom-sample.css to custom.css

that did the job.

still the two image files navs.png and nav-arrow.png, which are referenced in base.css are missing in the blogs-mu/_inc/images folder -- don't know, if they are needed/used for anything and therefore just left it as is. Maybe you want to check with Richie?

Just a quick feedback for future updates and in case somebody else experienced similar problems with the navbar (could be a good idea to test with other browsers too...)

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

hi
    did you choose 'yes' for Hide admin bar for logged out users? in buddypress -> general settings
    btw looks ok to me..i'm on safari 5.0.2 and firefox 3.6

check if this code exist in header (incase you using older version of header.php in parent or child)

<?php if ( (int)get_site_option( 'hide-loggedout-adminbar' ) && !is_user_logged_in() ) { ?>
    <?php print "<style type='text/css' media='screen'>"; ?>
    body { padding-top: 0px !important;
    <?php print "</style>"; ?>
    <?php } ?>

cheers

• Michel Mosca
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

hi Richie

thanks for your response.

Hide admin is set to 'yes' and header.php is complete with the code snippet (I use an older version, but had inserted the code as per your instructions in an earlier thread - however to be sure have also tested with the latest header.php version with same results)

Sorry, my previous post is wrong (can be discarded) as the 'fix' only eliminates the white space in Safari 4.1.3, but disabling the sliding in all browsers - hence adminbar will overlap the page (sorry was a quickie without proper testing).

so I went back to original state and Safari 4.1.3 insists on the white space. I can live with it, because not too many people will use this Mac Tiger version anymore - as you said 5.0.3 shows normal (Mac OS I assume?).

still the files navs.png and nav-arrow.png are reported as missing in the server's error log. they are called in base.css, but files are not present in the images folder - is this by mistake?

• Richie_KS
    • HummingBird

still the files navs.png and nav-arrow.png are reported as missing in the server's error log. they are called in base.css, but files are not present in the images folder - is this by mistake?

its a common error log for css background class. the problem sometime cause
    by css: none type like

somecss {
    background: #fff url(none);
    }

you might able to fix the log by edit the similiar css to

somecss {
    background: #fff none;
    }

cheers

• davegriffin
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

So are we going to get a fix for the missing images? They are definitely not in the blogsMU theme.

arrows.png is referenced by the Nivo slider code. The file (and the directory for that matter) are missing from the distribution. I substituted the arrows.png file that comes with the Nivo Slide LITE widget so I was able to fix this myself (attached if you'd like).

The navs.png file is also missing from the WPMU Dev blogsMU download. It is a background for the #navigation element (line 660 of base.css). Since I don't know what it is supposed to look like it's kinda hard to make up a suitable replacement.

Both of these files should be corrected in your download for the theme.

Thanks,

- dave

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.