setup instructions for multisite on shared hosting

I'm trying to share my wordpress installation, plugins, and theme for three different domains. I've read through many tutorials, and after a couple of months being unsuccessful I need help. I have multisite installed but I just can't seem to get the mapping done correctly. I think I'm missing a step or two for the cPanel settings.

• Patrick

Hi there @Kyna

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to use multiple domain names on the same install of WordPress multisite so that you and/or your users can create sub-sites in your network under different domain names, all sharing the same database.

If that is the case, you've come to the right place 'cos we have a plugin for that: Multi-Domains:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/

As you doing this on a shared hosting platform, be sure to check out the "Potential Issues" section at the bottom of the plugin usage page for some helpful tips on getting it set up right:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/multi-domains/#usage

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• Kyna

I keep getting this error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@drakexp.kynalynn.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at drakexp.org Port 80

• Ash

Hi @Kyna

I need (primary) site1.com to also allow wordpress, plugins, and themes to be used on site2.com and site3.com - if that makes any sense. Each site having it's own content. I have shared hosting - all three domains are hosted through the same webhost

For this, you need to use domain mapping plugin. Here is the project and usage page: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/

Now let me simplify the procedure.

For example, your main site is network.com
    You have two subsites:
    1. one.network.com
    2. two.network.com
    These two subsites you want to map with following domains repectively:
    1. one.com
    2. two.com

So, if anyone enter one.com in the browser, it should show the site of one.network.com. Same for two.com

So, there are two scenarios now. Either you own all the domains, or you don't. First I think you own all the domains.

network.com site is hosted in a hosting whose nameservers are:
    ns1.networkhost.com
    ns2.networkhost.com

So, you have entered these nameservers for network.com domain panel. You have to set same nameservers for one.com and two.com domains too.

Then you will add one.com and two.com domains as add on domain in the same hosting of network.com, and make sure you point them to the network.com wordpress root folder. So that if any one enter one.com or two.com it shows network.com site.

After that, you will add the domains in corresponding subsites using domain panel plugin, and the mapped domain will start working.

Now, if you don't own the domains, then you will need a dedicated IP. I know you won't have access to the domain panel of your customers so that you can't set name servers in there. So, you will pass them you IP and they need to set a DNS record for their domain and point to that IP. Only then domain panel will work.

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.