BP-Business theme not installing properly

Hi, I am trying to install the buddypress business theme by uploadin the zip file and it is not working properly. After I installed it I was able to click preview and the preview window looked fine so I clicked Activate. When I did that, my screen went white and now I can't do anything. Everything is totally inoperable. I looked at the files via FTP and that theme isn't even showing up there so I can't delete it. I am stuck and I can't do anything. Please help.

Thanks,
Steve

• Steveo

Thanks Tammie,
    Yes, I have only the bp-busines and bp-busines-child in the themes directory, along with some other themes too. When I downloaded this theme I unzipped the contents of the folder and then re-zipped up the contents inside the themes folder. So I have bp-business and bp-business-child zipped up separately and that's what I uploaded. So it is themes/bp-business, not themes/themes/bp-business. It seems to upload OK and when I click preview I just get blank white screen. Thinking that the preview option wasn't working properly, I just activated the theme anyway, but then everything was blank white and nothing worked both in admin panel and public side of site. I had to log on via FTP and remove the theme that way and then refresh the admin panel to get the site to work again and then activate a different theme. After trying to re-install the theme a few more times, I still get the same results.

• Tammie

@Steveo:

When I downloaded this theme I unzipped the contents of the folder and then re-zipped up the contents inside the themes folder. So I have bp-business and bp-business-child zipped up separately and that's what I uploaded. So it is themes/bp-business, not themes/themes/bp-business.

You shouldn't be zipping them they should be unzipped. Please follow the install pdf I attached that should set you on the right track.

• Steveo

Tammie,
    Thanks for the help! Your panic flow chart revealed the problem to me. It was the BP-Compatibility plugin that was causing the trouble. I deactivated it and now all is well.

Just to clarify an earlier post; when I re-zipped the theme for uploading, I was uploading through the admin dashboard and not FTP. This last time, I followed your suggestion though and just simply uploaded the unzipped folder via FTP and that works nice and easy too.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

• Steveo

@Tammie:

I like the look of the theme, but now that I have installed it, there are some confusing things about it. The styling for the member profile pages is nice. I'm trying to figure out how in the world to get the home page to have the content that I want on it. Seems like a convoluted process to get that figured out. I would also like to have total control over what links appear in the menu - can't seem to do that.
    By the way, Do you know of a really nice looking java slider that I could put on the home page so I can put some featured content in it? example: http://irrationalgames.com/
    I had also rather hoped the manual that came with the theme would be more discriptive about how to do all the things that the manual tells you can be done.

Ultimately, what I am trying to do is find a nice theme where I can build a church website and then add all the social stuff that buddypress has for the church members to communicate with one another. So kind of a closed social network so to speak. I wish I could find that one perfect theme!

Thanks,
    Steve

• Tammie

@Steveo: Whilst I can't tell you which one we do offer a wide range of themes so perhaps exploring them as you now know how to install them could be a good option as there are a lot we offer and many have privacy options for instance the just recently launched blogsMu theme: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-blogsmu-theme

As for slideshows.. there are many for instance the Scholar theme has one on it as does Daily and also Social:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-scholar-theme
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-daily-theme
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/buddypress-social-theme

If you want one out of the box so to speak that fits the bill perhaps one of these will?

• Steveo

@Tammie:
    Thanks again for your help.
    Not sure which theme I like best. I've also played around with WooThemes a bit but they don't have any that I'm aware of that are compatible with BuddyPress. One thing they do have is customization options for the main nav menu. I can't seem to figure out how to control the menu with your themes yet. Do I need another plugin?

As for the slider, what I was really looking for is one that has the arrow buttons on the left and right so the user can click to advance to the next one to see the featured content. Perhaps you know of a good plugin for that? Then there's the matter of controling the content that goes in it.

Thanks so much!

• Tammie

@Steveo: Well menu management may / should be coming (fingers crossed in wordpress 3.0 and that will be like woo). Woo do not do buddypress themes - the thing you have to remember is there is whilst it's argued by many a difference between buddypress and wordpress themes. I don't just say this because I work with buddypress themes as all our themes work with buddypress, wordpress and wordpress mu. I strongly believe in a theme should be designed to work on the most complex factor if that makes sense and buddypress carries great complexity than wordpress or wordpress mu from a purely theme point of view. I would therefore always suggest you get a buddypress theme if running a buddypress site and do not go with an 'adaption' of a wordpress theme or with something that has to use a plugin to be 'shoe horned' into working.

As for slideshow my personal fav atm is: http://github.com/nathansearles/loopedSlider

However there are tons just try a google search and many have plugins. For instance: http://www.serie3.info/s3slider/. It's really something you will have to explore but I would suggest perhaps a starting point would be one of our themes that has a slideshow built in as has an easier point for you - all our slideshows with themes have content control functions but I'm not sure any have arrows you could perhaps adapt the design but that could be complex.

Menu management could be done by a plugin but it's more 'what you need to have done' and whether wordpress 3.0's menus will surfice which as it's in beta atm that can't be fully decided until release but I'd suggest you maybe download that and see as you could experiment with the beta if want to see on a test site.

• Steveo

@Tammie:
    Thanks again for your excellent advice. I totally agree with you regarding the buddypress themes. I had tried to use an altered version of one of the WooThemes - Headlines, for buddypress and on the surface it seemed to work OK. But I did notice some odd things on some pages and weird layouts on other pages, not to mention - the site seemed very slow and sluggish so there are probably other issues going on too. Based on that, I think I will take your advice and stick with BuddyPress specific themes. When you say that ALL your themes are compatible with BP, I'm assuming that you are referring to just those themes in the BuddyPress section and not the hundreds of other themes you have in other sections of your site that would otherwise just be used for WordPress and MU?

I have found some simple sliders as plugins for WP, some good, some not so good. I did find the SlideDeck plugin that looks real cool. You have to pay for the pro version and the free one has a link to their site, but I can't figure out how to get it on the home page of the BP-Business theme. I can get it on any other page using shortcode, but it won't work on the home page. Also, my home page of the business theme is not displaying any latest posts in that section below the featured content. Will the code for the home page have to be altered in order to add this slider. Oh by the way, you can check out that slider here: http://www.slidedeck.com/wordpress.

I'll give 3.0 a try and see if the menu system it has works good. In the meantime, I have used an Exclude Page from menu plugin on other sites to keep certain pages off the main menu.

I'm still learning how best to use the pages, posts and categories in order to make a good site layout. I'm trying to use WP as a platform for websites with blogs being a secondary feature of the site, rather than the blog being the main purpose of the site. I did this ultra simple site with that theory in mind. http://www.glasserpainting.com The client insisted on using that background image for the site....not my first choice, but he's happy with it!

Thanks again!!!

Steve

• Steveo

@Tammie: Thanks, I was reading a little bit about that one yesterday and I actually downloaded it but haven't installed that theme yet. I'll have a look at it though. A non-traditional BP theme might be good since I am looking to use BP in a somewhat non-traditional way.

I do like the business theme though...for the most part. I would really like to have total control over that featured panel on the home page though. How would I go about doing that?

In the meantime, I'll have a look at this theme you have in beta!

Thanks again!

Steve

• Steveo

@Tammie: I took a look and tried some features out on the Prodcut Beta theme. Overall I do like the additional control over the contents of the feature slider. I don't like the way the page adjusts for the size of it. Probably better if it were a fixed size with the ability to adjust the size as we see fit with the layout of the site.

Ultimately, I like the look of the business theme a little bit better. one thing I really like about the business theme is the look and layout of the profile pages. Love the neat and clean menu items on the left of that page. Would like it even better if your profile pic appeared above that menu though, like facebook. Actually, if I had better control over the feature panel on the home page of that theme so i could put my own slider in there and perhaps another bit of content on either side of it (the slider wouldn't need to go the whole width of page) then I'd probably be all set. Other little tweaks and changes could be made along the way and then it would just be a matter of figuring out how best to organize the site and content. I still need to have greater control of the menu, particularly the buddypress menu at the bottom, and be able to hide that menu when not logged in - then I'd be all set.

Thanks,
    Steve

• Steveo

@Tammie: Thanks for your continued help, I really do appreciate it. Yes, I would like to edit that theme accordingly. Perhaps a little advice on what file I would need to edit in order to accomplish this would be helpful. It looks like maybe home.php, but I'm not sure. Ideally, I would like to add a Slide Deck slider on the left side of that featured area taking up about 2/3 of the width and leave the other 1/3 on the right for some other text content. Since this is for a church, I am thinking it would be good to leave that block on the right so I can add some text with the church service times. If this ends up being too difficult, I might just go with the slider for the whole width of the site.

Thanks again!!

Steve

• Tammie

@Steveo: If you think of home.php as the core for the front page that's the best way to get your head around it and all other files just link in to that to create the sections. My suggestion would be to in the colour section put the slideshow maybe even all the way across. The reason I'm suggesting is maybe all the way across as it will probably require less editing and probably be easier to add in if it's a plugin - I will say we can't test every plugin so I am unaware of that one and only able to suggest. With so many scripts and plugins out there we can't test each one but if it's built for wordpress it should work.

• Steveo

@Tammie: Regarding that Slide Deck slider, I was planning on putting it in the white area that appears above that blue area. This slider works fine by inserting it on a page or post with shortcode...simple as can be. Is there an easy way to tweak that white area of the theme home page so I can put shortcode in there which would allow me to put this slider across the whole width of the content area?

Thanks,

Steve

• Tammie

@Steveo: ok lets deal with these one by one:

1. Layout of the group page - what do you mean the 'group stream' or search - which if possible to narrow that down and a link please to see on your install if any different.

2. Slide Deck slider: I will say right now I haven't used it however you 'should' be able to just pop it into anywhere you wish but remember to remove the wrapping text and have it set to the right size. For instance some theory about it could be as follows:

home.php:

<div id="feature-wrapper">
    <?php $featured_pageID = wt_get_ID_by_page_name($feature_page); ?>
    <?php if ($featured_pageID != ""){?>
    <div id="feature">
    <?php query_posts('page_id='. $featured_pageID . ''); ?>
    <?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    <div id="feature-image">
    <span class="attach-post-image" style="height:250px;display:block;background:url('<?php the_post_image_url($image_display); ?>') center center repeat"> </span>
    </div>
    <div id="feature-content">
    <h3><?php the_title(); ?></h3>
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    " class="button"><?php echo $feature_linktitle; ?>
    </div>
    <?php endwhile; ?>
    </div>
    <?php } ?>
    </div>

Now you can remove all of that to have as follows:
    code for slideshow here perhaps
    </div>

However you may want to keep a div for the format it's all up to you on that:

<div id="feature">
    </div>
    </div>

As for putting in shortcode.. don't know would have to be something you can put code in a template or you could do a query page call in there if that's only way to show it. You can also create a home.php in your child theme and then update it so that you don't get any issues with overwriting of files.

• Steveo

@Tammie: Thanks for the help on the slider. I have a programmer who will be helping me out with that to see what we can do. One way or another, I'm sure we'll make it work.

Regarding the groups page, I was referring to this page: http://74.53.55.214/~lab1004/groups/
    Seems like it is 3 columns but I'm wondering if it can be changed to 2 maybe.

I was also trying out your groups event calendar plugin. Seems good, but I'm still getting familiar with it to see if each group can have their own calendar to display only their events on their particular group page. right now it seems that it displays events for all groups on the same calendar. Also trying to determine if it is capable of showing events for the church as a whole and not only individual groups.

thanks,

Steve

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.