BP Compatibility - Step Three Help

Hi
I'm pretty familiar with WP, but new to MU and BP. I am trying to get BP installed and going and have come across a page that I am unsure about.

Making Your Theme BuddyPress Compatible
Step Three
Fixing Alignment

Is there a more detailed tutorial available than what is in the WP backend?

My confusion is here:
The instructions direct me to open my page.php file (which I have done), but I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking for within this file.

(You will need to change the HTML structure in the BuddyPress templates that you copied into your theme to match the structure in your page.php or index.php file. The files that you need to edit are as follows (leave out any folders you have not copied over in step two)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Tracy

• Tammie

@twinmom: You only have to use that plugin if your theme is not built for BuddyPress have you looked at our BuddyPress ready themes as I'd advise perhaps as you are new you went that route.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/buddypress-themes/

These themes I linked to are not only BuddyPress ready but also have a great layout for WordPress mu you basically just install one and configure and don't have to go through any of the processes you are with that plugin.

I would point out you have to disable that plugin / compatible part if using one of those themes as they all out of the box work for BuddyPress.

That all being said I've no experience of the plugin as would suggest a BuddyPress theme as you get a lot of benefits from that rather than making a theme that isn't designed work for BuddyPress.

• Tammie

@twinmom: You can use that but ultimately I think for a great looking site you can't believe having it actually designed for BuddyPress from the start. That being said if none of those work for you go ahead with the compatibility route. You can use whatever themes you want for your blogs the key is that they just won't have the buddypress parts if don't have buddypress - a good theme has a switch that will check if it's using wordpress, if it's using wordpress mu and if using buddypress and show content accordingly.