BP Daily - 2 questions: gallery shortcode and footer widgets

I have 2 questions:

I tried to insert a gallery using the built-in WP gallery short code after uploading images and going through the process to create a gallery. I made it 2 columns, however the 2nd image overlaps the 1st.

1. Does BP Daily support this function?

I have some pages on my main site that have specific functionality and I would like to hide the footer widgets on some of the pages.

2. Is this possible and if so how?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@AquaPebble: Please show me what you mean by gallery a link to what you are trying to do and what you have would be great. Need the links before I can comment if it's supported.

You can of course hide footer widgets - you would basically create a page template linking to a new footer or just no footer and have the rest of the footer code without the actual widgets in it, that would be the cleanest method. Then you simply for those pages link up that page template - seems the cleanest method to me and means you can do literally whatever you want in that page.

• AquaPebble
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Tammie

Sorry I have been away. I deleted what I was trying but will describe what I did.

1. Created a new page
    2. Added it to custom menu.
    3. Deselected the allow comments and pingbacks/trackbacks.
    4. Clicked the "add an image" icon.
    5. Uploaded two large thumbnail size images
    6. Went to Gallery tab.
    6. Linked thumbnails to attachment page, ordered by menu order, asc order and set gallery to 2 columns.
    7. Inserted gallery.

The two pictures then overlapped.

• AquaPebble

@Tammie, I am not sure where to find the styles attached to the images. The only thing I can see in the media library is size and alignment. I am not a web designer or developer, so am learning on the run and a newbie (as said before).

Would I add that styling in the form of html on the page or is it done in a file?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@Aquapebble: Attached is a screenshot of what this looks like for me and with the classes outlined so you can just pick those and add to the child.css if it's not working for you. If you can give me a link it would be great as it's hard to see what you are. Ideally you'd add the CSS to the child theme.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@AquaPebble: I did nothing just followed your instructions with the Daily theme. However, try tomorrow then let me know what browser you are viewing it in and make sure you're using the latest version of Daily so we're on the same track please.

• AquaPebble

@Tammie. I have updated to the latest version of the theme. I haven't done much styling yet.

I recreated the gallery: here is the link: http://ukmarketingnetwork.com/business-directory/

I viewed it on 3 browsers: IE8, Google Chrome and Firefox. When I inspect element and do an audit on Google Chrome I get an unmatched div on line 1668 which it ignores.

I am using 3 Buddypress plugins that required me to place a folders in the my themes folder. I took them out to test and it still did the same thing.

Unfortunately I don't know enough to spot an obvious cause.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@AquaPebble: Please take off all plugins for me to view the site I see a lot of them on and can't judge with them on. As I've shown it works on a vanilla install we now need to see what is occuring to cause the problem on yours. Oh and remove widgets as the bottom text.. that shouldn't be in the middle of the page. You have somehow got a div wrong somewhere so we need to go back to square one and find out where.

• AquaPebble

@ Tammie I have been trying to do what you suggested with the new page template and read quite a few codexes on this, but because I don't really know what I am doing I can't get the widgets at the bottom to not display.

I downloaded the page.php and footer.php from bp-daily theme folder. I created a new page template file (from page.php) and deleted the get footer function and that never worked. I then created a new footer file, which I referred to in the new page file, and deleted the part that I thought was referring to the widgets in the footer file and that also didn't work.

I could successfully select the new template files when editing the page, they just never changed anything.

Please could you give me an idea of what I should delete in the new footer file. Thanks.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@AquaPebble: if you mean the hiding of widgets in the footer then you haven't really said if hiding or removing but the widgets are:

<div id="footer">
    <div class="footer-block">
    <?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
    || !dynamic_sidebar('footerone-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div>
    || !dynamic_sidebar('footertwo-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div>
    || !dynamic_sidebar('footerthree-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div>
    <div class="footer-block-end">
    || !dynamic_sidebar('footerfour-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <?php endif; ?>
    </div>
    <div class="clear"></div>
    </div>

• AquaPebble

@Tammie

On some pages I don't want any widgets in the footer.

That is what I deleted. But I have it working now. I think the way I called the new footer file may have been wrong. I misunderstood the codex on usage: <?php get_footer( $name ); ?>

I thought you had to put a $sign in front of the name, but found an example and see it is just between single quotes. Once I did that it worked.

Again thanks for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.