BP Daily as Homepage for Network of sites…

Hello, I’m trying to use this for the front of my entire network of sites, so that the main page is a hub for the entire community…

I want the regular feed of posts to pull from all sites in the network, and I want to control the tabbed posts at the top for people who want to pay for a featured post. Is this possible?

I have installed the post indexer, but not sure how to convert the query posts in the home.php for using the indexed posts instead. Also, is it possible for the post indexer plugin to be modified to include the featured thumbnail for that specific post (from any site)?

I am NOT using buddypress. I’m trying to do this with a child theme…. but I couldn’t find the child theme that comes with bp-daily, so I’m trying to make one myself, but I think modding the original would be easier..

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi larceniii,

First off, you’ll find a pre-made child theme for BP Daily in the following folder in the theme zip:

bp-dailythemesbp-daily-child

Post Indexer isn’t built to handle featured images currently and I believe it’d involve quite a customization to get it to do so. You could refer to the following thread for the code needed to pull the feature images though:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/post-custom-value-like-featured-image-with-post-indexer

Just to mention though, the switch_to_blog() method can be quite heavy on resources so it’s something to be cautious with.

The customization you’re asking about regarding the theme pulling Post Indexer posts instead is quite extensive, given also you’d likely be pulling the featured images.

While it’s not something we can really cover by way of support, you can have a look at any of the plugins, such as Global Site Search or Recent Global Posts Widget to see how the queries are done there.

Hope that helps ya get started, please let us know any questions you might have.

Thanks,

David

• Jason
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Thanks, I found the child theme! Great for a starting point.

I was planning on using the w3c caching plugin. Would this combat the loading issues accurately?

Is there any theme out there, or website that does this? Seems like it would be a very usefull thing to do, have a “MasterSite” with sub sites being their own entities in their own right.

What if we just grabbed the post content, and used timthumb2 to make a thumb from first image in the post content? Seems like that wouldn’t be very intense on server resources….

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Jason,

Apologies for the wait on follow up here.

I was planning on using the w3c caching plugin. Would this combat the loading issues accurately?

w3 is a great plugin, but caching this page isn’t gonna help things much as it’s gonna be very dynamic in order to get the most recent stuff.

Our Network Theme has the ability to display most recent posts from across the network rather attractively and also does an auto-resize for the featured images:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/network-theme

Hope that helps!

• Jason

It was my understanding that even with a short cache time, the last cached page would loaded, while the next one is generated in the background. This would make all the page loads very short (like 1 or 2 seconds) and yet once a min in the background the the caching plugin would rebuild the page.

I use APC for the opcode cache. It’s awesome. Just like WPMU.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Jason,

It’s been my understanding that in general, the caching would keep displaying the last cached version of the page until the Admin refreshes that, generating a new version of the cached page. Is there something specific you’ve read on that feature regarding updating the page automatically in the background while displaying the last cached version?

Thanks,

David

• Jason

Yes, set the cache life time to 1 min. and w3-cache will always pull from the cache, while building the next one. So you’re still “Up To the minuet” but yet still caching everything. However, if there is NOT a lot of traffic, sometimes a visitor could get an old page, while the new one is being built in the background. But a refresh fixes that. I had a popular RSS site that I was using this on, and it worked nicely with.

Also works well with random stories plugins, as every min you get new random stories.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Jason,

It sounds like you’ve got a good grasp on caching then – we often get some ‘greener’ folks who activate caching with a lesser understanding and it causes trouble. APC is indeed fantastic :slight_smile:

Do you have a solution setup now or do we need further discussion on this thread? Let us know!

• Jason

Well the global posts plugin was amazing once I got it figured out, and I did have to leave the bd-daily theme for Frisco, a child theme of the default buddypress theme, that is responsive, and has color theme options. I created a new widget from the recent-global-posts plugin and made the jquery powered carousel so it works without flash, tested on my android phone and it looks great!

http://poteau.me

I’m also considering a varnish server if the network grows much, but I may not need it.

Thanks again guys, I really couldn’t have done this without you guys!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.