BP Daily - Loop areas for RSS image plugin?

I am trying to install a RSS image feed plugin. The plugin uses image script parameters and asks to place the function within the template files of what areas you need to pull in images from RSS feeds.

I need to add the following piece to all "loops" within my theme that will pull in RSS feeds, which is all of the columns and features on my home page found here: http://sportspostnetwork.com/

In what php files and where specifically would I find these "loops"?

I looked in the index.php to look for something like this:

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

....but nothing looks familiar.

Here is command that I am supposed to be adding within those loops:
<?php get_the_image(); ?>

I am a newbie here at WPMU Dev and I am definitely not a developer, so any help with this would be great!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya!

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

I'm sure we can help ya out. I'm just a little confused as to whether your wanting to pull images from other RSS feeds onto your site, or make sure the images on your site are available to your RSS feed.

The RSS feed generated by your site should include images by default.

Sorry if I'm missing it completely. We run a bit slower here on the weekend, but if you get back to me on this I'll have a look at it with ya.

The "loop" for the homepage is a bit more complex than the basic loop, as it's pulling posts based on the settings in Theme Options. Maybe one of the designers can come by and explain more about how that would work on this theme.

Thanks, and again welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@both: All loop contents for Daily is dealt with by library/functions/loop-functions.php - we contain any loop there however if you are talking about the home page you have a few places. For instance if you look at home.php you will see a lot of locate_template - these are basically pulling in components (library/components). A component is a 'doing something' bit of code in Daily such as featured-video.php (shows a video), feature-slideshow.php (shows slideshow with categories and loop). Content- has 3 formats: rows, columns, thewall.

It all really depends on 'what settings you are using' and then you'd go into each bit under components and could edit.

• sportspagenetwork
    • New Recruit

Thanks Tammie for the info.

I see the php files you are talking about. I guess my next question is where exactly in each file would I put this:

I want to be able to pull in images through RSS into these areas on my homepage: feature post, all 6 columns, and the spotlight area in the right-hand side column.

Just in case here is my site: http://sportspostnetwork.com/

Thanks again!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@sportspagenetwork: It all depends where that has to go.. I'm not familiar with the plugin but would assume in loop-functions.php if in loops and home.php you can follow which content depending on your settings (I don't know what content you are using).

• sportspagenetwork
    • New Recruit

Thanks for getting back to me. The plugin is "get the image". I am using it in conjunction with the autoblog plug in. Since the autoblog plugin doesn't pull in images that are not already in the RSS feeds, I need to find a way to pull in images from blog posts through RSS into my site: sportspostnetwork.com

Since I am not a developer....the problem is that I just don't know where to put the script in loop-functions.php.

I am trying to have images be placed in the feature slider, all columns, and the spotlight on the home page.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@sportspagenetwork: I've asked before can I have a link to the plugin. But, please consider there is limited support we can do with other's plugins. I can look though if I have a link to their plugin but this isn't our usual practice and may take a few days which I am sure you understand.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@sportspagenetwork: Not sure why you can't get it working I added to components/content-colums.php the tag and also to the loop-functions and worked for me. I think the issue is you are trying to add coding to a theme that already has the functionality. For instance we already show attachment images. I'm not sure why you are adding I get it may do more but if you do have issues with coding it's already there so seems easier yes?

That said in content-columns.php replace:

<
    a h r e f = " <?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="<?php the_title_attribute(); ?>"><span class="attach-post-image" style="height:100px;width:190px;display:block;background:url('<?php the_post_image_url($cat_image_display); ?>') center center no-repeat"> </span>< /
    a
    >

(spaces added as our forum doesn't like the a href tag in code :slight_frown: )

with

That's about it you'll need to replace several times. I would strongly though suggest if you are not confident with coding you don't do this and stick with the built in functions though as Daily is a complex theme to enter into files if you don't know. I have though proved it works at least with the plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.