bp-global-adminbar-css for bp-social reporting errors

I am hosting wp mu on Ubuntu Server and everything works well.

I tried to install the buddy press social theme "bp-social" (the theme seems to work fine) -but the header file "bp-global-adminbar-css.php" - when copied in to: wp-content/wpmu-plugins folder -- produces the following error messages in the header area.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Warning: include_once(/var/www/wp-content/mu-plugins/bp-global-adminbar-css.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/wp-settings.php on line 473

Warning: include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening '/var/www/wp-content/mu-plugins/bp-global-adminbar-css.php' for inclusion (include_path='.usr/share/phpusr/share/pear') in /var/www/wp-settings.php on line 473

Warning: copy(/var/www/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/thumb.php) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/wp-content/themes/bp-social/includes/custom-functions.php on line 19

I can't figure it out - sorry to say -I'm a bi of a newbie -- thanks for any help from any whiley veterans out there -- major karmic payback fcoming your way.

one thousand thanks,
tom