BP Group Categories plugin alternative

This plugin BP Group Categories/Types can do exactly I need, but the warming is holding me back:
"!!alpha-release!! DO NOT install on a live site because the plugin hasn't been very extensively tested."

It has not been updated since 2010.

Does anyone know any alternative solution that is tested and being updated?

What I want to achieve are:
1. Admin can create hierarchy of groups as categories (not real user groups)
2. When a user (buddypress member) create a new user group, he would have to select a category that his new group is under.
3. Every user group has to be assigned to a category when it is created, such as:
North America > US > NY
or
Hobbies > Sports > Outdoor sports
4. The reason to do it this way is, for people to find groups to join easily.

Maybe there is a better way. Any suggestion or ideas are really appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

This one has too many warnings and the fact that development has obviously been halted is a big danger sign.

I can find solutions like this but did not offer them because they are high risk to say the least and in many cases will cause a lot of heartache due to incompatibility with new versions of WordPress.

The solutions I have recommended are actively developed and maintained which is a good sign.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• winning

Hi Joe,

Which solution would you suggest for Buddypress group categories?

I think the short term solution may be: the admin creates all categories as "real" user groups, then when a user creates a new user group, he can choose any of the existing groups as the "parent".

For instance, admin can create a real user group named "Hobbies", then create a few child groups under Hobbies, say, "Sports", "Reading", "Music", "Art"; then under Sports, create a few child groups, such as "Indoor sports", "outdoor sports"... After that is all done, a real user can create a "Football" group under "ourdoor sports".

You may agree that is not a good solution, because the groups that admin created are real user groups, not a categories, which can very likely to confuse users.

Thanks!

• winning

A typical buddypress site like this:
    http://commons.gc.cuny.edu/groups/

is not very easy for users to find a specify group to join.

We can imagine how it would look like when the number of groups grow beyond 1,000. Doing a "search" can give you something, however a category hierarchy structure would be much better for users to navigate through hundreds or even thousands of groups and find what would interest them to join.

So the real question is: how to organize user groups in buddypress for better navigation/browsing experience?

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

I think the short term solution may be: the admin creates all categories as "real" user groups, then when a user creates a new user group, he can choose any of the existing groups as the "parent".

For instance, admin can create a real user group named "Hobbies", then create a few child groups under Hobbies, say, "Sports", "Reading", "Music", "Art"; then under Sports, create a few child groups, such as "Indoor sports", "outdoor sports"... After that is all done, a real user can create a "Football" group under "ourdoor sports".

You may agree that is not a good solution, because the groups that admin created are real user groups, not a categories, which can very likely to confuse users.

On the contrary, I think this is very innovative out of the mold thinking and certainly worth investigating and may just work to the users delight. It is amazing sometimes the assumptions we developers make about our sites and how users interact with them.

So the real question is: how to organize user groups in buddypress for better navigation/browsing experience?

Doing some investigation in the topic I found this BP Group Categories/Types plugin which appears the idea was right but they halted development for unknown reasons.

Please advise how you are making out with a solution for group/category organization and if you have implemented with any success the idea you came up with for solving this.

Cheers, Joe

• winning

Hi Joe,

For the following idea to work, we need to find out a way to stop regular user creating a new top level group in order to force users to choose at least one parent group to put his new group under. Do you know how to disable new top level group creation by a regular user? (only website admin can create top level groups)

• aecnu

Greetings winning,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.