BP Registration Options plugin issue

We are using BP registration options plugin to manually approve all new accounts (found that most effective to control spam/bots).

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bp-registration-options/

The problem is that this plugin has not been upgraded recently and doesn't work with multisite either (which we have). Thankfully someone posted a fix for that here:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-buddypress-registration-options-how-to-fix-bp-registration-options-so-it-works-with-buddypress-15

And now the plugin does work but is giving one issue:

When the user now clicks on the activation link in the email, it gets this error

Catchable fatal error: Object of class WP_Error could not be converted to string in /home/betahpat/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bp-registration-options/bp-registration-options.php on line 1282…….

Can someone here look at the code of the plugin and see what's wrong with it and suggest a way to fix this error.

Thank you.

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @Hpathy

Hope you're well.

I see you've run into some trouble with your site setup. I had a look to see if I could find any solutions, but I have to say this is a tricky one and would require some feedback from our experienced developers, I'm afraid.

So just to highlight the code in question, please see below:

$sql="update ".$iprefix."users set user_activation_key='$key' where ID=$userid";

And it is in the bp-registration-options.php with the rest of the code:

//get key from querystring and update user_activation_key in wp_users (has already been deleted on activation, put back in so we can grab it after bp activation stuff runs then delete it again)

$key=$_GET['key'];

$sql="update ".$iprefix."users set user_activation_key='$key' where ID=$userid";

$wpdb->query($wpdb->prepare($sql));

I will follow up with our team and see if we can get any solutions for you.

All the best and talk soon!

GinaB

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @Hpathy

Hope you're well. Just quickly checking in with you to let you know that someone from our support team will assist you shortly. It's currently weekend, so things tend to be a bit slower during this time, but I will make sure someone looks at the code at the earliest.

All the best and talk soon!

Gina

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Hpathy,

Just touching base to see if in fact you have contacted Buddy Press about this issue?

Though we try to help whenever we can with any WordPress issue, neither of the plugins are ours and a coder familiar with one or the other would be much more adept at finding a fix.

I confirm that two support staff members have been pinged to deal with this issue, but we do not have a developer to ask for there input or to look at the code since it has not been assigned to one of our plugins.

Please advise if you have gotten any response from Buddy Press and I will see what I can do to have the WPMU Dev lead developer take a look at this.

Cheers, Joe

• Hpathy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Joe, I contacted the plugin developer and they say they will coem out with a new and compatible version in a few weeks. Till then I have tweaked things myself using help from other support threads to keep the plugin activ and without errors.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.