Bp-scholar - couple of questions

Hi there,

Could you help me?

When buddypress is installed the menu of the bp-scholar doesn;t seem to be driven by the header.php file that I have in my child theme anymore - can you tell me where the cahnges can be made now> I just need to exclude some categories.

Also, the communities tab has now opened up - is there any way to remove that from the menu also?

I'd also like to remove some of the options from the buddypress menu - specifically the visit option - as I am only opening up the site users to specific groups rather than using it as a full community per se.

Thanks in advance as normal - you guys are all stars in my book!!!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@roobarb: Header.php links to the navigation files. You would have to link those in a child theme and you'd have to adjust those. Make sure you are using the latest Scholar theme though as we can then be on the same page.

In header.php you see:

<?php load_template (TEMPLATEPATH . '/includes/main-navigation.php'); ?>

You need to if using the child theme change that to:

<?php locate_template( array( '/includes/main-navigation.php' ), true ); ?>

Then that's the file you need to copy and edit in your child theme.

• roobarb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

YOU ARE A GENIUS!

Thanks soooooo much Tammie.

While I've got you - there was one more quick question that I forgot to ask perviously.

On the blog pages there are little icons and info for the date, what category, comments and who uploaded the blog.

I'd like to remove the comments one, and also the author for the moment as neither are really relevant for this limited BP project at this point in time.

Could you tell me where that might be removed? I've tried changing template-blog.php but it hasn't made any difference when I've put that into my child folder.

Thanks so much again x

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@roobarb: Hmm it sadly doesn't work that well with child themes and page templates. I'd advise editing the template itself in the parent theme OR creating a new page template in the child (haven't tried that one myself but you could do). Glad I can help so no problem.

• roobarb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Tammie,

Hope you don;t mind me continuing this thread, as its relating to the links above.

I tried to adjust the template in the parent theme - but still no joy - so I'm thinking there is something more tricky afoot as to where these posts are drawing their templates from.

If I explain what I'm trying to do - maybe it will make it easier.

I'm trying to keep the posts for each category seperate. So in the dropdown here - I have a category - Beckys Blog. But the links at the bottom of the screen go back to another blog that is in a seperate category.

This is the final blog page - but there is also the page before, where all the blogs in one category are listed - and I don;t know where to go to ammend that template either?!

Getting a bit confused now - so I'm hoping you can help. Where are these pages drawing the templates from?

Thanks in advance

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@roobarb: They all use the same single or archive template for posts so not sure what you are referring to. Sorry could you explain to me what you mean by templates? The way it works with any blog is this:

1. Single post = single.php
    2. Archive = archive.php
    3. Search = search.php

Now you could have category pages but that is a totally different thing.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.