BP Scholar customization

I installed scholar theme where they have done an excellent job but in my personal opinion there are certain details that are not well thought out or designed. I hope that with your help we can change the following sections or detail to improve.

1 - Pull-down menus are very large blocks and large size of the text, when you have many pages and subpages, these fall outside the screen.

Where do I have to play in the css to make the text smaller and layers of drop down menus?

2 - If we have many pages there anywhere I can choose which appear on the menu bar and which should not appear?

3 - In the seeciones of BuddyPress (members, grups, etc) bp buttons are arranged vertically when they are displayed in all the horizontal issues

Where I can change this to display the horizontal and the other topics?

And finally Is it possible to change the latest news from home for the latest news from the entire site? (Regardless of the blog since been released)

I appreciate your help in advance, hoping I've explained it for me to understand what they want to say.

• Tammie

@mira360: Can you provide a link to see these issues please. I'll try without a link to respond:

1. I'm not aware of text ever appearing outside the screen I assume this is just because you have a very very very long drop down or a very very long page name / category name. If this is the case though you'd get this with any drop down script and I'd suggest either option for sub categories in sub categories or having short page names. That being said you could also look at changing the font size of the navigation.

2. You'd have to add your own exclude clause to the call for pages in the navigation file.

3. I'm not sure what you mean here really need to see an image. You would have to do some editing to change the layout but that's going to be something I need to see to know what you are meaning.

4. The site wide news would be a widget like our site wide one or some coding you'd have to do.

• Tammie

@mira360: Unfortunately you will get such long menus if you have so many links not much can do about it beyond you editing the css to change the format but I'd suggest you if don't know css go the route of having sub categories

I won't replace the last news for a widget that is customisation of your theme so up to you. I'd say though if you don't know coding you're probably better off just having that as a widget in your home widget area rather than coding. We don't do custom coding for you we can advise the best method but such undertaking is your own.

Where you add it is up to you but how you make a widget area in your theme is shown here:

functions.php add:

register_sidebars( 1,
    array(
    'name' => 'namecallingit-sidebar',
    'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',
    'after_widget' => '</div>',
    'before_title' => '<h4>',
    'after_title' => '</h4>'
    )
    );

*Call it whatever you want -sidebar this just illustrates

in home.php or where want sidebar:

<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
    || !dynamic_sidebar('namecallingit-sidebar') ) : ?>
    <div class="widget-error">
    <?php _e( 'Please log in and add widgets to this column.', 'buddypress' ) ?> /wp-admin/widgets.php?s=&show=&sidebar=namecallingit-sidebar"><?php _e( 'Add Widgets', 'buddypress' ) ?>
    </div>
    <?php endif; ?>

*again note namecallingit is just there for demo.

That should give you enough information to get a widget area.

• The Collective

Hey Tammie

I am trying to do the same thing with wpmu scholar theme, to make the latest news site wide, but i am very much a beginner, could you please explain the above to me in more detail, what that does. Does it replace the latest news with a widget area, that i could then include the latest side wide widget into? where should i be putting that code in the files?

If i got a developer to do this, how much would you suggest this should cost?

Thanks

James

• Tammie

@The Collective: It's really a case of up to you on what the charge would be we will never advise on costs. However, lets see exactly what you are trying to do as this is a thread over several things and perhaps you could start a new thread with your site link and what you are trying to do so we can best advise you if a custom developer is the right route to go or we can give you some code to help.

• The Collective

Hey Tammie

I apologize but I can't actually see where to start a new thread or topic, perhaps as a new user I dont have the ability to do so?

The site is http://www.thecollectiveblogs.com

It is still under construction, but users will be creating new sites within it for example, http://www.thecollectiveblogs.com/tammie or james, whatever they choose, i then want their latest posts on their individual sites to appear in the "latest news" section of the home page of http://www.thecollectiveblogs.com site, as at the moment the only posts that will appear is posts from admin of http://www.thecollectiveblogs.com and none of the other sub sites. I would like eventually to have lots of sub sites, and have a rating system for the posts, where readers rate them, and for example the top 20 rated posts site wide appear in the home page latest news.

I have played with the theme options and every setting within the dashboard etc, and have come up short. If there is any code you could give me to make this change, and also some advice on what files to insert the code into, where within those files I would be most appreciative.

Thanks James

• Mason

Hiya James!

Welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

I'm attaching a screenshot that shows where the "Add New" post is so that you can do that from here on out.

I would like eventually to have lots of sub sites, and have a rating system for the posts, where readers rate them, and for example the top 20 rated posts site wide appear in the home page latest news.

This idea has been tossed around a bit here on the forums recently. We just finished a survey of all members (maybe it's finished?) and got a ton of feedback on what will be developed here in the coming months.

For now, if you'd like to display the most recent posts across all your sites, I'd recommend the Recent Global Posts Widget here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget

Although, I believe BuddyPress includes a widget with similar functions by default.

• The Collective

Hey

Apologies again, I am lost. I see add new post, but thats too other threads either with no tags or no replies? Neither seem to be what I am looking for.

Regardless, The recent global posts widget is great, but the latest news section of the home page on the scholar theme isnt a widget area, so if i wanted latest side wide posts to appear in that section of the site, the widget is no good?

http://www.thecollectiveblogs.com

You will see on the home page, the latest news section is very central and so I really need it to be site wide posts.

Do you have any other solutions, as not having site wide posts appear there, defeats the whole object for me of having the multi site functionality....I want it similar to the facebook home page, where feeds from everyone come into that section, i dont want it in the side panel as its not central enough....

Thanks again for your help.

James

• Mason

Hiya,

Apologies. I forgot to attach the screenshot. The step you're missing is to first select a particular forum. For instance, our Theme Support is here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/theme-support

From there you should see something like the screenshot below.

As to showing the Site Wide posts on the front page, you might consider going with a theme that provides this by default. Or see about having your site's "Activity" page show as the home page:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/daily-tip-how-to-get-buddypress-activity-to-show-on-the-homepage/

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.