BP Scholar sidebar-right control

Hi,

I've successfully installed WPMU with this great theme.

Now, I want the sidebar on the right everywhere, so I've gone and implemented that template for all pages and, huzzah!, there's the sidebar on the right.. lovely.

The issue I have is that I can't find anywhere to control this sidebar. The list of sidebars in the admin panel is..

home-sidebar
page-sidebar
left-sidebar
footer1-sidebar
footer2-sidebar
footer3-sidebar
footer4-sidebar
3colleft-sidebar
3colright-sidebar
default-sidebar
blogs-directory-sidebar
members-directory-sidebar
groups-directory-sidebar
members-sidebar

None of these are right-sidebar which, when looking at template-rightsidebar.php and sidebar-right.php, is what I would expect to find.

Imagining that I was missing something I went and added a text widget to every one of the above sidebars in the admin panel, naming each sidebar in the text widget control. This should show me which one is being used in my pages but, somewhat unfathomably, the widget on my pages is still in error, requesting that I "Please log in and add widgets to this column.". Well, I've added a text widget to every sidebar so now I'm confused.

Any ideas?

• daveerasmus

Hi Tammie,

ok. I did that and I can now see that the left-sidebar is on the right. ok, that'll do.

Irritatingly though so much of the rest of the theme is now all over the place. I've been developing a child theme and I guess I'm now going to have to re-work much of it. Things that are now squiffy include..

The footer is under the sidebar on the right.

There is no footer where the footer should be (at the bottom).

The navigation menu is no longer centered, preferring, it seems, to be over to the right.

There's now a whole load more 'white-space' in the header. The Blog name is a lot further away from strap-line for instance.

The page headings occupy a much deeper block (more height to the <div> so to speak).

.. there are more.

Have I done something wrong or would you expect this?

Surely themes are meant to be backwardly compatible, otherwise the need for and use of child themes is thrown into question, no?

• daveerasmus

Hi Tammie,

ok. I did that and I can now see that the left-sidebar is on the right. ok, that'll do.

Irritatingly though so much of the rest of the theme is now all over the place. I've been developing a child theme and I guess I'm now going to have to re-work much of it. Things that are now squiffy include..

The footer is under the sidebar on the right.

There is no footer where the footer should be (at the bottom).

The navigation menu is no longer centered, preferring, it seems, to be over to the right.

There's now a whole load more 'white-space' in the header. The Blog name is a lot further away from strap-line for instance.

The page headings occupy a much deeper block (more height to the <div> so to speak).

.. there are more.

Have I done something wrong or would you expect this?

Surely themes are meant to be backwardly compatible, otherwise the need for and use of child themes is thrown into question, no?

• Tammie

@daveerasmus: not sure what you mean backwards compatible there are no changes I can think of that would cause what you are seeing there unless you'd edited the core files OR over-written something you'd changed by updating the child theme partially - could that be the case? You did not update the child theme when you updated your theme you just updated your child theme? Whilst I do not know what version you were working on for the theme there should have been no changes in the theme files to cause such a change as for your own changes - well I can't judge those.

Have you done changes to the sidebars though as left one should NOT be out of the box in this theme (as in without changes) on the right.

To me, and bare in mind a link would be good to diagnose this further I think it looks like you've got a missing div in some of your file changes that could cause what I see in the screen shot - well a missing or an extra one - something div related it all depends on what styles you are doing where. I'd have a look to see a) does this happen with the default theme then b) did you over-write any child files then c) provide a link whilst you also go through to make sure you have a closing div for every open one. I'm fairly sure it can be resolved it's just hunting it down.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.