bp-scholar widgets not displaying on Members and Blogs pages

Hi,

I've tried going back to the Parent Scholar Theme but the widgets on fhe Members and Blogs page still don't display. I've tried a number of widgets like text and the AD lite widget, but they don't display.

I'm using BP 1.5 with the latest theme.

Regards,
Larry

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

In the latest Scholar theme there is a change which requires a consideration in how you do this.

What has happened is there is this call for sidebars:

<?php get_sidebar( 'buddypress' ); ?>

So... what you can do now is choose which sidebars to use on those pages.

If you want to have a sidebar in a particular section you need to find the page for instance on members find members/single/home.php - copy this to the child theme keeping the structure. Then where you see this:

<?php get_sidebar( 'buddypress' ); ?>

You can change to call the members sidebars ie;

<?php get_sidebar( 'members' ); ?>

Or... you can create a BuddyPress only sidebar calling all those widgets in sidebar-buddypress.php.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I made this change in the child theme home.php and then in the index.php but there was no change.

I also tried a change to 'blogs' in the blogs/index.php, but this did not help. There is no /single/ folder or home.php in /blogs/.

In the dashboard, I deleted the widgets and added them back to see if that might help, but no help there either.

FYI, the sidebar has the "widget-error" message "Please log in and add widgets to this column."
    This message has not changed either.

Kind regards,
    Larry

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

As I said you link in from members/ or you use the default sidebar. Follow my steps above gets it working. I didn't say blogs/. If you can follow the steps and see if you get there otherwise respond back then we can at least see where you are at.

• tishimself
    • Syntax Hero

Hi,

I could find no /members/home.php (I even downloaded the theme to my PC to see if I had something messed up on my site), but I did change the one in /members/single/home.php thinking that may be you meant. Now I'm just confused.

When that did not change anything, I tried /members/index.php just for grins.

Correct, you did not say/blogs/ but I did say..." the widgets on fhe Members and Blogs page still don't display." So I just gave it a try using index.php which also has that line of code, but it did not work either.

Note that I'm adding the widget to the "Blogs directory Sidebar" and the <Members Directory Sidebar" on the dashboard >appearences/Widgets. When I use the "Default Sidebar" widget it will display on both pages, but I want the *different* sidebar content on the members & blogs pages like b4. There is also a "Members Sidebar" which does not seem to appear anwhere.

Larry

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Index.php uses a different sidebar so it wouldn't work.

If you look in your theme files you see a range of sidebars or files with sidebar- right? Each one is a different sidebar you can link to a different part of the theme. This enables you to have ones for members / blogs / groups.. whatever you wish.

So.. taking that idea you said you wanted to show a members sidebar.

So.. go into members/single/home.php and there you see the line I linked, just change to be the sidebar you want. I'd also recommend you simply copy that file and structure into the child theme as always suggested. Then you can use the members widget area.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

We hope you were able to resolve this. Since this thread has been inactive for some time I am going to go ahead and close the ticket. If you were unable to resolve it or have any further questions, please feel free to re-open the ticket – we are more than happy to help!

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

Hi there @spachase

Just coming back into let you know we haven't forgotten about you and in fact i was talking about the developer response to this thread earlier in a team meeting. I have tagged the dev @Jeffri here and also flagged him again and have also emailed him and let him know that you are still waiting on a response. I am sorry for the delay here and assure you i am doing all i can to get him here.

I have reopened the ticket and this will also flag it as still waiting for response.

Kindest Regards

Tom

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

@spachase Threadjacking, particularly on extremely old threads, is not an effective way to receive support. We will be able to assist you better if you create new threads with detailed information - which you have recently done.

I am sorry for delays on this. Our theme developers are extremely busy with some big updates that we are trying to get done sooner rather than later.

Our theme developer has responded. Take a look at that thread and we'll work on fixing all of these issues.

• 11 Plus for Parents
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I don't know about threadjacking but I have been on the receiving end of "threadClosing".

Even you must admit that just short of two months is too long to wait for support. Everything I have read on marketing says the same thing: It is easier to keep a client than get a new one.

For the record, when I first got here for reasons unknown to me I could not get a thread of my own started. (Check my first ticket and you will see that I mentioned that there) Hours later the browser was still stuck... and that is how I ended up here.

Nothing is ever as it seems.

• Brian Purkiss
    • Smushie Pies

I have been closing and consolidating your threads so we can look at all of the Scholar theme issues in one location. This will allow us to more efficiently deal with all the issues so we can assist you faster.

By having a variety of threads with different issues, and some duplicate threads, everything is scattered, difficult to keep track of, and requires more work on our part to make sure nothing falls through the cracks. Me closing and consolidating is simply doing what I can to help you receive help faster.

I agree that two months is too long of a time to wait for support, and I apologize for you having to wait. But I must point out that you commenting on a 1 year old thread is what caused this to slip through the cracks.

And again. Our Theme Developers are extremely busy working on an overhaul of all of our themes, which increases the delay in support time.

I assure you, we want to help you and are doing our best to help you as quickly as we can. But some things take time, and having a bunch of issues scattered across different threads does nothing to help speed this process up.

• 11 Plus for Parents
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Tom

Thanks for your continued interest.

I communicated with @Jeffri. He answered some questions and confirmed that he is working on an update.

Before I made a post I made a search to try to find solutions. I found none, but I did find a couple of people who gave up on Scholar.

I did not. I think it is the best theme you have here.

At one point I thought rather than shake the tree, (sorry) and risk getting in trouble :slight_smile: I'd look for another theme. I searched the net but found nothing that could challenge scholar.

I am looking forward to Scholar living up to it's potential.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.