BP Sliding Login Panel causing white screen in BP-Daily

Hi there,
I'm using BP Daily Theme (3.4), with bp (version 1.2.5.2) enabled.
Whenever I try to network activate the plugin, I get a blank white screen. Are there any known conflicts?

Is there a standard checklist to solve for a white screen?

Thanks for your help - I'd really like to use this plugin if I can!

Or...does anyone have an recommendations for similar plugins?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya IntegraLLC,

I haven't heard of folks having an issue with this, but we'll double-check.

Is there a standard checklist to solve for a white screen?

Ah yes. The white screen of death is a sure sign of a php error. Easiest thing to do is to open up your server's error logs (ask you're host provider if you're not sure where they are) and see what the error message is. Actually, this is a great place to go anytime you're trying to troubleshoot an issue. If you have one, post it up here with your information as well.

We'll look into it with ya.

Thanks!

• Sarah Gooding
    • Flash Drive

I haven't heard of an error like this with the plugin. I haven't tested it with the latest versions of WP and BP and don't have time to update it right now. Did you install in manually or via the automatic plugin installer? Maybe you're running out of memory?

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Thanks Mason and Sarah,
    @Sarah, I installed it with the automatic installer plugin. Would it be worth it to delete it and re-install? Is there a preferred way (manual vs auto?). I'm definitely not running out of memory.

@masonjames, Here's my error log - revealing some recurring problems, but I don't think they are related to this.

These two show up a lot lot!

[Fri Feb 04 10:57:11 2011] [error] [client 65.120.64.187] File does not exist: /home/gbiport/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-daily/library/scripts/arrow.gif, referer: http://gbiportal.net/wp-admin/themes.php?page=styling-functions.php
    [Fri Feb 04 10:57:11 2011] [error] [client 65.120.64.187] File does not exist: /home/gbiport/public_html/wp-content/themes/bp-daily/library/scripts/cross.gif, referer: http://gbiportal.net/wp-admin/themes.php?page=styling-functions.php
    Before I started doing anything to my site, I made a copy of the files I downloaded, so I have the original theme folder as I got it. I just looked through and there are not files cross.gif nor arrow.gif in my bp-daily. I did, however, find them in some other themes, such as bp-corporate, bp-community, as well as in some plugins. Since I seem to be missing them, would it be a bad move to simply upload these into my library/scripts folder?

There is also a missing favicon.ico message.
    I've fixed that. Well, I've uploaded my favicon.ico file, but its not showing up.

My provider shows the last 300 error messages, and these have recurred enough to take up all the spaces. I suppose if I get them taken care of, I could see some other, more interesting errors. (Unless, for some reason these are the relevant, interesting errors).

Thanks for your help!
    Laurie

• Sarah Gooding
    • Flash Drive

You can try deleting the plugin and installing it manually. I haven't updated it for the latest versions of BP and WP because I haven't had the time (it's a free plugin in the regular WP repo) Since you're having such an unusual problem I suspect it may be something specific to your installation that's causing the problem, because I have never heard of it causing a white screen.

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately reinstalling manually didn't help, and I'm showing no errors in my provider's error logs. I realize this is a unique problem, as I haven't seen any other posts with this problem. Is there somewhere else I can look to troubleshoot this? (beyond the provider's error logs?)

• Sarah Gooding
    • Flash Drive

You can start a troubleshooting process of deactivating all of your plugins except the sliding login panel and see if that works. If it works, then you have a conflicting plugin. Also try using it with the BuddyPress Default theme and see if that works for you. Then you can nail down if it's your theme or another plugin that is causing the issue. After you try those, maybe we can help you from there.

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for the quick reply!
    So, I tried deactivating each other plugin and no change. I also tried it with BP Default theme with the same result.
    Something I did notice, that may change things, though.... its not actually a white screen. That is, when I looked at my other sites (which also have bp-daily, but with different color schemes), they had solid colored screens. My main site just happens to have a white background, so I thought it was the "white screen."
    Not sure if that helps or not...

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.