BP Social Child Theme

I discovered just last night that I was developing my client's site using the old version of BP Social. After updating the theme, I now must reapply the changes which is sort of a pain.

Believing that I would be smarter this time, I looked at the child theme folder. These are the ONLY notes within that folder:

"rename child-style-sample to child-style to use child theme styling"

When I look at the child-style-sample.css, it appears that one can only add custom classes?

Scenario:

What if I want to alter the header logo layout, add widgets to the header, or move the options nav elsewhere so I can employ the new header widget? These sorts of things CANNOT be dome with CSS classes alone...

Does this theme have "hooks" that I can copy, alter, and then remove the default functions and replace them with my new ones, similar to the way that StudioPress does it?

In the link regarding Parent and Child Themes (https://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/), the tutorial indicates this is possible:

"When you install BuddyPress Social theme you upload the bp-social and bp-social child folder to /wp-content/themes and then only activate the ‘BuddyPress Social Child’ theme."

I have the theme installed. There is no such theme "BuddyPress Social Child" available for activation.

I'm not new to WP nor to BuddyPress but I just don't understand what to do here to create customizations for my client that are not at risk during the next major release of either WordPress or BuddyPress.

• virtuallymarj

Thanks Eric and Chris,

I had the old code on my local drive.

I do think the point of my original question was missed, even though I gave a specific example of things that I would like to change.

This was the scenario that I wrote above:

Scenario:
    What if I want to alter the header logo layout, add widgets to the header, or move the options nav elsewhere so I can employ the new header widget? These sorts of things CANNOT be dome with CSS classes alone...
    Does this theme have "hooks" that I can copy, alter, and then remove the default functions and replace them with my new ones, similar to the way that StudioPress does it?

StudioPress themes permit massive customizations to their framework by removing Genesis Hooks and redeclaring them as custom hooks in the child theme functions. I am not seeing this capability offered through enabling the ability to merely add CSS classes with #custom in front of them.

I will re-read the thread from WordPress Codex which Eric posted earlier but I have worked with Child Themes before and created them. The BP Social theme does not seem to be following practices which have worked in the past.

• DavidM

Hi virtuallymarj,

I've not actually used StudioPress themes so it's a bit tougher for me to comment on that, but the themes here generally are very close to Twenty Ten / Twenty Eleven / BP Default in their structure, which I don't believe use such filter methods as you've mentioned.

However, you can override css and php files by various means, depending on what you're trying to achieve. Is there something specific you're trying to do that we might be able to help with?

Thanks,
    David

• virtuallymarj

David,

I'm aware that I can override CSS and template files, but thanks for stressing what Chris also mentioned.

You probably don't have to have worked with StudioPress themes to understand the idea about hooks that are in the BP Social theme. I can see by looking at the template code that several have been employed by the theme developer. Is there a list of these hooks/functions along with the location of their source within the theme?

• DavidM

Hi virtuallymarj,

Very sorry for the delay here! Pretty much all the themes here use all the typical actions/filters that Twenty Eleven uses, which itself is generally regarded as the standard for themes.

I guess I was referring more so to additional filters, which the themes generally don't have.

We don't have a list of them, but you can find out about the various actions/filters they, as well as BP Social, do implement by doing a bulk search of the theme's template files for the terms 'do_action' or 'apply_filter'.

The awesome and free Notepad++ editor lets you search like this very easily, assuming you're on a Windows PC.
    http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Hope that helps!

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.