BP-Social Profile Search Options

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good buddypress profile search option? I looked at BP profile search, and that looks great, but it looks like you have to select every field under profile to do a search.

The challenge is on the website http://www.denvertherapistsnetwork.com when people search for therapists the results are really flaky. First, if people hit enter it gives the impression it searched, but really didn't and returns no results. And depending on the order of terms it won't return a result, which makes no sense. I am not sure if maybe it is that it doesn't search every field of the profile.

Anyway, I am up to date on all the software and would love any thoughts, whether there is a configuration change that can be made, or another plugin. The big thing is prospective customers will want to search for what they need, and get the pictures and profile summaries back, so I don't think a global search will work, but maybe if it returns results that way. There is really not much content outside of the profiles that is publicly available.

Thanks, David

• Tyler Postle

Hey David,

Hope you're doing well today and thanks for your question!

I just tested out your search and it seems to work pretty well for me. I can press enter to start the search without any issues and when there is no results, it states that no results were found.

I was just searching for values in profile fields and it seemed to find all the ones i tested.

I don't know of any other solutions to this besides having to develop your own. If you want some changes made then you could always hire someone to develop an add-on for BP Profile Search :slight_smile: that might be the easiest option to get exactly what you're after while not having to pay for an entire plugin.

We have a jobs board for that too where you can hire other talented members from the community: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/

Let us know if you have further questions on this :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Tyler

• David

Okay, thanks. Interesting enter worked for you, glad to hear it might not be universal. There was one user who mentioned her profile didn't return a search for "couples centennial" which is a valid concern. This is the profile - http://denvertherapistsnetwork.com/therapists/centennialcounselor/

So it makes me wonder if all profile fields get searched. Too bad as BP Profile Search seems fantastic, but I don't think I can present users with a search tool that requires the selection of so many fields, and not sure I am up for buying this. I am going to test a global search just to see what that looks like, but guessing it won't work.

Thanks, David

• Jude

Hi again @David

I agree here with Tyler that the best way to do this write something yourself.

There was one user who mentioned her profile didn't return a search for "couples centennial" which is a valid concern.

Its possible at times the query can be created in such a way some results get dropped. For example you sort by age and display them in an ascending order as part of the query (of course with other parameters). Here suppose a profile matches everything else but there is no age filled in then the result gets dropped.

An alternative would be to use the plugin but hide extra fields and specify defaults using JS but Im not sure how successful that'll be

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.