BP Social theme has overlapping profile video

The video on my profile page is overlapping into the sidebar:

http://dainsidescoop.com/members/spectonizer/profile/

I understand that different dimensions can be chosen from youtube but if users do not choose correctly it will look sloppy with overlapping videos. What I am looking for is that all videos will have the same embedded dimensions regardless of what they choose in youtube. I was told I can reference an old thread on a similar topic:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/bp-social-theme-youtube-embeds-in-forum-posts-have-wrong-dimensions#post-248562

Mahalo for the help!

• Kimberly

Hi there!

I'm not able to replicate this :slight_frown:

Check out what I get in the pic attached, perhaps you can give me a few more details about how you are entering the embed? Maybe there is something I am doing differently?

Do you have anything set in your Media settings? I know this does not resolve the issue that it is displaying full size on my site as well, but it would be a good place to start figuring what is controlling the overlap :slight_smile:

Best,

Kimberly

Aloha Kimberly,

The issue I am having is with the profile video overlapping into the sidebar:

http://dainsidescoop.com/members/spectonizer/profile/

1. I copied the embed code (not the share link) from YouTube.
    2. I embedded the video by going to the settings tab and then the flickr/youtube tab and pasted it in the embed field and saved settings.
    3. The video overlaps into the left sidebar.

I understand that there are custom dimensions that can be set from YouTube's embed page but I am thinking most people will either not care or use the biggest player possible. I'd like it so no matter what they choose it will be sized to a pre-determined dimension.

Also, when I tried my YouTube Id (both long version and short Share link) it did not work. It just had a title My Video with nothing below it.

On the other hand, when I paste the Share link into my personal Activity stream it automatically re-sizes to the Activity area:

http://dainsidescoop.com/members/spectonizer/

This is what I want to happen on my profile page. Automatic re-sizing that does not overlap.

The media setting I am using is 420px max width and height is left blank.

Mahalo!

Hi @masonjames,

I'm not sure if I did the above correctly from your post but this is what I tried and it did not work.

1. Opened the wp-config.php file for dainsidescoop.com in Adobe Dreamweaver.
    2. Copied and pasted the code from your post and saved the file. (I don't know if that automatically saves the changes to the server?)
    3. Loaded the youtube embed code in the settings and saved. The video was still overlapping.

I am a complete newbie all around and if you could tell me how to do this step by step that would be great. Thanks!

• Kimberly

808, your best bet for changing anything in your wp-config will be to use a combo of FTP and a Notepad editor. I use Filezilla and Note+

You can download, edit and upload via Filezilla, using Note+ to do the editing.

You will need to insert the snippet that Mason gave you before this line:

# That's It. Pencils down/Stop editing here.

Whichever yours says.

Your workflow would be something like this:

open your FTP program, navigate to your wp-config.php file for your site.

right click to open/edit the file, or download to open in Note+ or another simple editor.

Make your addition in the correct place

Re-load or accept the upload prompt back to your FTP

Then the changes should be effective :slight_smile:

Hi,

This is where I pasted the code snippet:

define('BPFB_OEMBED_WIDTH', 400, true);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

(I did not find "# That's It. Pencils down/Stop editing here." so I figured it was the line above)

1. I saved it both to the root wp-config.php file and the wp-config.php file in dainsidescoop folder.

I did as described above and opened file to textedit for mac and uploaded file with filezilla.

I used the embed code from youtube which has 560 width and it stayed that size on the profile page (it did not resize to 400). It did not work. Thanks.

• Mason

HIya 808,

Well you're definitely in the right place :slight_smile:

I'm confused though - you shouldn't have 2 wp-config.php files. Is this a single installation or do you have multiple?

Also, I'm also assuming you're using our BP Activity Plus plugin for the embed. Is that correct?

If not, how are you embedding media in the profile? Let us know. If we're not able to sort it here shortly I may need guest ftp and wordpress admin access in order to debug further.

Thanks!

Aloha @masonjames,

I do have multiple installations as I have multiple domains. If I am trying to manipulate the domain dainsidescoop.com then i go into the dainsidescoop folder and look for the wp-config.php file correct?

I was not using the bp activity plus plugin but have installed it since. The other plugin that I guess was doing the embeds was oembed for buddypress and I have since deactivated that.

I just wanted to clarify that the dimensions for the videos work great in the forums and activity streams (it does not overlap into sidebars) Also, don't know if this is an important point but the share link (Youtube Video ID, both short and long) from YouTube work in forums and activity streams but does not work in the settings tab in my profile.

The problem is when I try to upload the youtube video to my profile page using the flickr Youtube button in my settings tab. This is what I encounter when I use the Youtube video id field option:

1. Log into profile
    2. Click settings button
    3. Click flickr Youtube button
    4. Use Youtube video id (tried both short and long link). It says it was successful.
    5. Go to profile page and video is not there.

This is what I encounter when I use the embed field option:

1. Log into profile
    2. Click settings button
    3. Click flickr Youtube button
    4. Enter embed code into embed field It says successful
    5. Go to profile page and video is there.
    5. If I use the default embed code with width setting at 560 from youtube it overlaps. If I change to width setting 400 it fits great and it does not overlap. This works but is not practical because when members start uploading videos to there profiles they will probably not change to custom width of 400 even if I spell it in black and white. This needs to be done automatically.

So....why does youtube video id work in forums and activity streams and does not overlap into sidebars but not in my flickr youtube profile setting at all. Maybe this is a bug? Hope this is not confusing and this can get resolved soon. Thanks.

• Kimberly

I'm attaching a picture of the area you are referring to since it's actually something provided by the theme, not Buddypress itself and is somewhat hard to locate.

I have found a file that seems to control or is at least connected to the sizing issue:

The bp-component-functions.php located in /wp-content/themes/bp-social/_inc/functions

Contains a line
    <object data="http://www.youtube.com/v/<?php echo stripcslashes($my_video_id); ?>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295">

Can you check the dimensions of your overlapping video and see if they correspond to those width and height settings?

This will probably be where you have to change the size

I accessed the above file and made the changes but it still does work. I have a question though:

Does the profile video have a bug?

Please try and upload a video to your profile with your Youtube video id via settings>Flickr Youtube>Insert Your Youtube Video Id here

Use this long link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaFoaRWUak (example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=this is your video id
    *only youtube id code allowed, did not support flash or swf
    )

Please let me know if you were able to load the video properly to your profile with the above path and link. Thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.